DVD- sound but no image

dalegtr18

The thing that I am wondering about is VLC says, in effect, that is does not need external codecs files, that is self-contained. So my question is what codecs were needed by WMP and WinDVD to play with the onboard graphics and why don't those same codecs files work with the Radeon? More so, if I am looking at this problem clearly, how do I find the codecs files that I need with the Radeon? Would I bark up ATIs tree or Microsoft and Intervideo? Or is this necessarily a codecs issue at all??

Well, I went back to my previous Before ATI image (actually in mid-process right now). My plan of attack is to create a copy of the registry and a listing of all files in Windows and all subfolders. After this, I intend to install the ATI card and the newest drivers, test if the DVD plays correctly (it shouldn't), then make a copy of THAT registry and all Windows (and subfolders) files and compare the changes. With any real luck I will find a particular .dll file that has been overwritten with an older version and that will be the answer to my problem!! Well, in my dreams it will work out that simple! Does anyone know of any good free registry compare programs or have any good advice how to make this needle in a haystack a little less painful? Thanks!

OK, finally done reimaging (gonna look into one of those nice USB 2.0 add on card!!! LOL) and tested a DVD with WMP and WinDVD. Fine so far. Made a backup of the registry and created a txt file of all files in Windows and below. Stopping for now. Will look for a registry comparison tool later tonight, add the ATI, backup THAT registry and create another files.txt file to compare all Windows files and below. Whew! Gosh I'm sure glad this is fun! :-D

Haven't isntalled the ATI card and drivers, exported the registry and compiled a list of all Windows files yet but am still hopeful I can lick this thing. AMD, sadly, has bailed on me (not too surprising in light of the lame responses I have received from). They are suggesting the card is bad and want to wash there hands of the whole thing saying they have never heard of such a problem. With almost 700 views of this problem here on the board I doubt I am the only person with this problem. I have serious doubts that it is the card (tho it COULD be). I have similar problems with the Nvidia GeForce FX5200 on both of my HP Pavillions. It's got to be SOMETHING. Hopefully, I will figure it out. As for AMD I am VERY disappointed with their lack of support. I guess if I'm not associated with a company that spends mega-bucks they don't want to lift a finger to help much. :-(

Edited by dalegtr18

Anyone know a good registry compare tool that will compare two already existing reg files? I made copies of my registry both before and after I added the ATI card but found the 2-3 tools I downloaded need to take their own snapshots BEFORE changes are made.