.Net

hkspike

I installed .Net 1 to run NASA's Worldwind, patched it with a Hotfix and have since installed .Net 2.I had presumed .Net 2 would overwrite .Net 1 but Add/Remove suggests not. Can I simply uninstall the Hotfix then .Net 1 and hope that .Net 2 will continue to work?

Guest LilBambi

At least you got the 1.1 hot fix before you installed 2. Some folks are finding they can't even patch 1.1 once 2 is installed without going through a bunch of hoops that often don't work.I would suggest leaving 1.1 there because there are something that 'require' 1.1 and won't run if only 2 is installed.

Fran (or for that matter, any other member here), do you know of a list (or a link to a list) of appplications thar require .Net 1.1 to run correctly ? I removed .Net 1.1 from AR/P a while ago, and have not had any issues with older apps that will only run on the older version. And FWIW, I have both the latest security updates (KB917283 & 922770).I'm ignorant of any app that requires either version to be installed.

I don't know of any list compiled by anyone but ATI requires it for their Catalyst Control software as does Matrox for PowerDesk. These are video card software that allows you to tweak the card's settings. Your driver will still work without them but you won't likely be able change too many settings though.The application that comes to mind that uses .NET is Paint.NET, a freeware paint program that aims to improve on Windows Paint by giving it more Photoshop like features.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Peachy, I found that to be true with my ATI RAdeon 9800 LX 256MB since it uses the Catalyst software ... which is an awsome piece of software BTW.I also do not know of a list. I do know there are several that I've run into. Another one is is HOSTS Secure. There was a client that only had .NET 2 and it kept asking for .NET 1.1. Not sure if that's universal, but it happened on that computer for sure.Would love to have everything move on up to .NET 2 but why? Now we are getting close to .NET 3.:thumbsup:

Yes, Peachy, I found that to be true with my ATI RAdeon 9800 LX 256MB since it uses the Catalyst software ... which is an awsome piece of software BTW.I also do not know of a list. I do know there are several that I've run into. Another one is is HOSTS Secure. There was a client that only had .NET 2 and it kept asking for .NET 1.1. Not sure if that's universal, but it happened on that computer for sure.Would love to have everything move on up to .NET 2 but why? Now we are getting close to .NET 3.:thumbsup:
Hey here's something I can add. ATI/AMD's Catalyst Control Center will definately run on .net 2 (or 3) without .net 1 installed, we had much fussing over this on Rage3d forums. CCC runs slower on .net 1, a bit faster on .net 2, haven't noticed a difference on .net 3. The latest release actually requires 2 so you can forget 1 entirely if that's all you're worried about.