Storm clouds over VectorSOHO...

quint

I think that Nero is the best available for Windows. I bought a CD-RW drive for about $40 and it had a copy of 5.5 thrown in. That sure makes it a good deal since that is what some folks have paid just for the software. Lite-On includes it with their drives!Of course, I really don't need the Nero since I don't boot that way!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quint

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: does that make Slack #3? :(
I´m afraid it does Quint !One thing though, I see in the sceenshots for the SOHO, they have another default skin for IceWM ! Would you please check this out : http://www.ibiblio.org/vectorlinux/snapshot4.png and tell me if that skin and background is still available ??Would hate to see it gone !!:D Bruno
Yes, Bruno, found it (in VectorSOHO) - logged in the IceWM, the desktop background is: "default3", the theme is called: "sortofaqua". Will take a snapshot and post it a little later (when I can find it!). :(

edit: does that make Slack #3? :(
I´m afraid it does Quint !One thing though, I see in the sceenshots for the SOHO, they have another default skin for IceWM ! Would you please check this out : http://www.ibiblio.org/vectorlinux/snapshot4.png and tell me if that skin and background is still available ??Would hate to see it gone !!:( Bruno
Yes, Bruno, found it (in VectorSOHO) - logged in the IceWM, the desktop background is: "default3", the theme is called: "sortofaqua". Will take a snapshot and post it a little later (when I can find it!). :(
Here it is Bruno, wish I could find it for KDE:FSLO-1057646047-436371.jpgFine, like wine. :D

QuintI have a dilemma: What distro should I dump in favor of Vector ?? Debian or Slackware . . . . . . Or should I just toss a coin and see what side is up ??:( Bruno

QuintI have a dilemma: What distro should I dump in favor of Vector ?? Debian or Slackware . . . . . . Or should I just toss a coin and see what side is up ??;) Bruno
That is a dilema. It sounds like you need a third option, such as getting another/a larger hard drive :)I would dump slackware, since you already have vector, which is based on slackware. Or resize the slackware and debian partitions, and give the extra space to vector. The best of all worlds...:)tranquilo

QuintI have a dilemma: What distro should I dump in favor of Vector ?? Debian or Slackware . . . . . . Or should I just toss a coin and see what side is up ??:) Bruno
:) That is a dilemma. :( When I had to decide that same thing recently, I "threw back" Libranet...so , guess I would say Debian...but a better solution: just get another HDD! ;) ;)edit: sorry, tranquilo, I answered as I was reading, and didn't see your post. :(

Well, wasn´t this a fun dilemma ??I took Barry´s advice and flipped a coin . . head would be Debian, tail Slackware had to go . . . . . .And what happened ? The coin came on it´s side ( edge ), standing straight up . . . . . . . . so I decided to take a few Gig of my 40 GB /backup partition . .!! ;) :) :( !!None of the 2 ( 3 including Mandrake ) will have to go, there is enough space . . . just was curious too see what decisions you people would take . . . . . and your replies did not disappoint me ! :( :( Thanks my friends.:) Bruno

How many times did you have to toss the coin to get it to land on its edge? That must have been fun to watch! ;)

Today, no coins, no edges . . Vector SOHO is downloaded, installed and added to the Mandrake Lilo.The new boot menu:MandrakeDebianSlackwareVectorLinuxLinux-nonfbFailsafeFloppyVector runs like a dream, sound, internet, IceWM + theme + background.Updates are done ( only a few KB :) that is nice for our dial-up users ).Even the drivers for my Nvidia card were installed by default. :DVectorLinux SOHO is a super-distro !!:) Bruno

Fantastic !! It is great, glad you now have your background / theme. :) IceWM is growing on me, though I'm better able to handle KDE. :)

Quint KDE is nice, but you can´t eat pasta every day . . :;)If you multiboot several distro´s it´s nice to use several window managers and different browsers.:) Bruno

Quint KDE is nice, but you can´t eat pasta every day . . :;)If you multiboot several distro´s it´s nice to use several window managers and different browsers.B) Bruno
But I :) pasta! :) Speaking of "multibooting several distro's", do you think you could give a little tutorial of any tricks you have in setting up LILO? It took me almost an hour to make sure I had everything properly configured for my first two distro's, so after that I just made floppies, and when I want to go to a different "flavor", I use them. B) It has worked fine, but would like to have evrything nice and orderly...as well as learn more and more. :)

Way cool Bruno...I found out last night that Mandrake and Suse 8.2 Pro work great with wireless..Now the try Vector Linux with it ..heehee and I have a old PB just sitting and waiting

Quint:First: of what distro do you want to use the Lilo ??You post me a copy of that /etc/lilo.conf and we will do this together:cat /etc/lilo.conf >lilo.txtand tell me what distro´s we will add to that lilo. And where they live on your HD.:) Bruno

Way cool Bruno...I found out last night that Mandrake and Suse 8.2 Pro work great with wireless..Now the try Vector Linux with it ..heehee and I have a old PB just sitting and waiting
Way to go Barry, got the 'virus' aswell ??? And they say that Linux has hardly any virusses . . :) :DKeep us posted !:) Bruno

Quint:First: of what distro do you want to use the Lilo ??You post me a copy of that /etc/lilo.conf and we will do this together:cat /etc/lilo.conf >lilo.txtand tell me what distro´s we will add to that lilo. And where they live on your HD.:) Bruno
Well, that is the problem: when I did the "ftp install" for SuSE, it defaults to GRUB, and when I installed RedHat, I did the "floppy route", and it uses GRUB by default, also. B) So I have Mandrake, Slackware, VectorSOHO with LILO, and no problems...and SuSE and RedHat from floppies, and GRUB, also no problem, but was wondering if there was an easy way to "sneak" them into the LILO boot manager, without messing things up. :) My system has been running pretty good, and I don't want to cause myself extra woes. B) Did d/l "XOSL", maybe that would be a solution? Thanks for any advice/thoughts on the matter. :)

So I have Mandrake, Slackware, VectorSOHO with LILO
Do you use the mandrake Lilo for that ??Post me the Mandrake /etc/lilo.conf will you ?And we will add Redhat and SuSEBruno

So I have Mandrake, Slackware, VectorSOHO with LILO
Do you use the mandrake Lilo for that ??Post me the Mandrake /etc/lilo.conf will you ?And we will add Redhat and SuSEBruno
OK, will boot into Mandrake...it's been awhile. :)

Quint, I think you're at the point you need XOSL. Having that installed will make installing new distros much easier. You need a FAT16/FAT32 partition (doesn't have to be more than 16 MB) or tell XOSL to convert the DOS partition to a dedicated XOSL partition. In any case. Once XOSL is installed you will need to reinstall all your LILO and GRUB bootloaders in the boot partition of each distro and not the MBR, as XOSL will now be occupying it. XOSL needs a partition to store its files and it can be a primary or logical drive. It doesn't have to be bootable.

Way to go Barry, got the 'virus' aswell ??? And they say that Linux has hardly any virusses . . B) :DKeep us posted !
BrunoYes, I have the virus as well..( Is it possible to be overly infected)Iv'e Managed to put linux on every home comupter but 3 (My wife's laptop ..she won't let me touch that..and one I just haven't put it on yet..+ the old PB just screaming for some form of slackware :) (probably Vector)But the other 5 have either Redhat, Suse 82 Pro, Suse 8.1 and two with Mandrake 9.1 ( my kids do better with Mandrake)...My wife is about ready to kill me..can't buy anymore computers, so now I play with linux distro's..but slowly I'm getting linux on everything ( ok just everything in my house) :)

Just buy yourself a nice penguin jacket and your wife will probably call the men with the white coats . . . :) :DJust let her have windows on her laptop . . . . that will just remind you every day, why you ever took the step learning Linux !I tought you were posting to tell us Vector was already installed on the PB. . . .:) Bruno

BrunoDid vector install on it last week..for about 3 days , worked great The speed was impressive on that old box ..then I decided to try a Knoppix install on it(wanted KDE, Not the best idea..not smooth at all...it works painfully slow..but not well enough to be considered a productive box .so we will go back the vector.. :)

Not the best idea..not smooth at all...it works painfully slow..but not well enough to be considered a productive box .so we will go back the vector..
Good move Barry . . . . I keep telling people about Vector . . . . hoping one day they will hear . . . . . you did get the message, I´m pleased about that ! :):) Bruno

Quint, I think you're at the point you need XOSL. Having that installed will make installing new distros much easier. You need a FAT16/FAT32 partition (doesn't have to be more than 16 MB) or tell XOSL to convert the DOS partition to a dedicated XOSL partition. In any case. Once XOSL is installed you will need to reinstall all your LILO and GRUB bootloaders in the boot partition of each distro and not the MBR, as XOSL will now be occupying it. XOSL needs a partition to store its files and it can be a primary or logical drive. It doesn't have to be bootable.
Hi Peachy,Does one have to have Windows installed, in order to use XOSL? After I transfer what I can to the replacement HDD, and re-install my distros again, please tell me I don't need a Windows OS. Was looking at what was in the "zip file" I d/l'd for XOSL, and there was: autoexec.bat, a few "exe" files, and some other files that I remember from Windows. I did notice an "img" file, and I'm hoping that I can make a floppy from that, if I choose to go this route...must d/l again so I can read any install or readme files. Any help is appreciated. :rolleyes: Thanks for mentioning this again.

Quint,You only need DOS to install XOSL. You can get rid of DOS completely by telling XOSL to install a dedicated XOSL partition. This is a hidden partition with a special partition ID that basically wipes out any traces of DOS. :rolleyes: