Returning to IE6?

JerryM

IE7 is now shown as "Windows Internet Explorer 7" in the Add or Remove Programs menu listing; just scroll all the way down the shown list, as the listing is alphabetical ("W" not "I").Link #1 discusses some of the caveats for uninstalling IE7 based on how it was originally installed. If Beta and/or ReleaseCandidates (RC) version of IE7 were previously installed you may also wish to start with looking at this Link or this Link!There are many other reading material for reviviing old IE6 installs and you can start on this Link.

Edited by RandomBox

IE7 is now shown as "Windows Internet Explorer 7" in the Add or Remove Programs menu listing; just scroll all the way down the shown list, as the listing is alphabetical ("W" not "I").Link #1 discusses some of the caveats for uninstalling IE7 based on how it was originally installed. If Beta and/or ReleaseCandidates (RC) version of IE7 were previously installed you may also wish to start with looking at this Link or this Link!There are many other reading material for reviviing old IE6 installs and you can start on this Link.
Thanks for the help, Both.It appears that uninstalling is not a big problem, and I asssume it will automatically revert back to IE6. If additional memory fixes the slowdown problem, I suspect he will leave IE7 on the machine. Best,Jerry

...If additional memory fixes the slowdown problem, I suspect he will leave IE7 on the machine. ...
If I may suggest: Why not leave IE7 in the system and install either Opera or FireFox in the system. I say Opera first as some FireFox installations have been known to be burdened with much memory leaks and memory hogging. GreenBrowser and Maxthon are also worthy (and FREEware) InternetBrowsers that may be worth installing and/or exploring!

If I may suggest: Why not leave IE7 in the system and install either Opera or FireFox in the system. I say Opera first as some FireFox installations have been known to be burdened with much memory leaks and memory hogging. GreenBrowser and Maxthon are also worthy (and FREEware) InternetBrowsers that may be worth installing and/or exploring!
Both my son-in-law and daughter are convinced that the slowdown happened after downloading the update that installed IE7, and they think, Windows Defender.He has Firefox. I am not sure why IE7 would slow the system when it is not "up."I have looked at what he has at startup and active, and I do not see anything that should cause the slowdown. I have also scanned with various scanners, including AVG 7.5 AS, a-squared, Bit Defender on line scan, and SuperAntiSpyware. All comes up clean.Thanks,Jerry

i have ie7 on a couple o' machines w/no problems, no slowdowns, etc.i seem to remember that windows defender, a year or two ago, caused a good deal of drag on somewhat older machines.
We got additional RAM, and removed IE7 which reverted to IE6, and removed Defender. I also used CCleaner, and in the end the speed was increased. He is not convinced it is as fast as previously, but I am not so sure. Some sites are just slow loading and going to another thread. I find Castle Cops, which is an excellent forum, very slow.I have not switched to IE7, and after seeing his, I do not like what I see. I am just going to stay with IE6. I just use IE on those sites which require it. My default browser is Firefox.Best,Jerry

We got additional RAM, and removed IE7 which reverted to IE6, and removed Defender. I also used CCleaner, and i...
I count five (5) distinct operations that you have implemented... any of which may have improved matters!I wonder if these were done in a methodical manner, so as to pinpoint the exact culprit, out of the five suspects. ;)

Sorry for the double post but something clicked...It would be worthwhile to ensure that your OS (not BIOS) has changed the pagefile (swap file) sizing accordingly due to this change!You know? ControlPanel>>SystemIcon>>AdvancedTab>>SettingsButton>>AdvancedTab>>VirtualMemoryChangeButton route.Ask here if you need help, please!

Sorry for the double post but something clicked...It would be worthwhile to ensure that your OS (not BIOS) has changed the pagefile (swap file) sizing accordingly due to this change!You know? ControlPanel>>SystemIcon>>AdvancedTab>>SettingsButton>>AdvancedTab>>VirtualMemoryChangeButton route.Ask here if you need help, please!
Not methodical. I have returned home from the Christmas visit so cannot take any other action. It seems to me that his computer is running well, although he does not think it is as fast as it was.Thanks for the advice and help.Jerry