Spyware?

Guest LilBambi

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest LilBambi

Personally I use SpyBot S&D and Ad-aware 6.x Personal together and run them weekly when I get my antivirus definitions updated and do my full system scans.I think they compliment each other well and fill in the gaps for each other.I was wondering what others are using, or if adware/spyware is something that is even of concern to folks. :rolleyes:

I use Spybot. I don't get my underwear in a bunch about spyware though. I'm very careful about the software I install in the first place. I never find anything other than a few tracking cookies, so no big deal. I tried Ad-Aware in its previous version and it did nothing but lock up my computer.

Now that ad-aware is back I am using it again along with Spybot, which is an excellant program. I run them often cause I hate spyware

Guest ThunderRiver

I use Adaware from Lavasoft, and it is probably the best software around in the market since the introduction of Adware.

I voted for Ad-aware, since that's on all my machines, but on my main machine I also have Spy-Bot, and I do use both. Like Big Jeff, I tend to not get too het about spyware -- especially cookies, which I consider to be inconsequential for the most part. But I can't stand it when software like KaZaA and others installs all sorts of junk on your computer. My 11-year-old installed some Java-based game recently that totally gunked up his computer with a whole load of stuff that it took me literally a couple of days to weed out.Seems like every year, some idiot comes up with a whole new way to make the computing experience less fun. :D :D Good thing we know how to make that noise go away.-- Scot

The one that burns my cookies the most is the spyware that hi-jacks your browser. It's illegal for phone companies to change your line and it should be illegal for software to do that same effect of making changes, it's totally uncalled for.

The one that burns my cookies the most is the spyware that hi-jacks your browser.  It's illegal for phone companies to change your line and it should be illegal for software to do that same effect of making changes, it's totally uncalled for.
Yeah, my daughters PC recently got high-jacked like that. It did not matter what I tried I could not find all of it.....or everytime her browser connected to the net it just updated itself. I dug through the registry/IE/windows for about 2 hours before I said to heck with it and pulled out the last DriveImage image I had made for her PC. 15 minutes later... all was well.

SonicDragon

Adaware and Sby Bot S&D here.I HATE ADDWARE/SPYWARE.The thing i hate most is that the average user has no idea what it is and their systems are crawling with it. I hate turning on somebody elses computer and seeing addware :unsure:

Guest ThunderRiver
Adaware and Sby Bot S&D here.I HATE ADDWARE/SPYWARE.The thing i hate most is that the average user has no idea what it is and their systems are crawling with it. I hate turning on somebody elses computer and seeing addware :unsure:
Same here...Everytime I go to visit my girlfriend's house, I am always disgusted by her family computer. Her older sister loves to install Kazaa on the system, and it makes Internet Explorer crashes every once a few min, and it is totally quite messed up. Almost routinely, I have to use Adaware 6 to scan the system every time I get to their place. Her sister doesn't seem to care, but only complains when computer doesn't work. She never reconsider the actions she took on that system..oh well.. heh

I'm using Ad-adware 6. I have Spybot installed and like their System Startup function (Tools=> Sysytem startup). Came in handy to delete some junk Creative installed.

AdAware 6.0, SpyBot S&D as well as Spyware Blaster. Run then every couple of days. Since upgrading to the newest version of Spyware Blaster, the # of items found by either of the others is greatly reduced.

Guest LilBambi

As far as browser Hi-jacks go ... in addition to the Spybot S&D and Ad-aware on my Win98se box, I have HiJack This! (commentary by Spyware Info) to prevent this type of thing :)As far as cookies go ... I use IE 6 cookies settings, and CookieWall from AnalogX to keep down unwanted cookies as I surf around the net, and it lets me decide which ones I want to delete and the ones I want to make sure don't get deleted. There are many cookies that I want to make sure don't get deleted, ever :blink: I also use AnalogX's ScriptDefender ... as well as some other great tiny programs by AnalogX to help on the net and on my Windows system.

Lover of quiet computers

You forgot to include one option in your poll: Don't install spyware in the first place.I install software that is suspect to being spyware on a spare PC that doesn't store any confidential info. If it's approved by Spy Checker, I'll go ahead and install it on my main PC, but if it's not, or if I don't know (e.g., if Spy Checker doesn't have it listed), I just use my other PC.

Guest LilBambi
You forgot to include one option in your poll: Don't install spyware in the first place.I install software that is suspect to being spyware on a spare PC that doesn't store any confidential info. If it's approved by Spy Checker, I'll go ahead and install it on my main PC, but if it's not, or if I don't know (e.g., if Spy Checker doesn't have it listed), I just use my other PC.
Cool! You noticed! ... I did that on purpose B) I figure there will always be some program that we install that might not be in SpyChecker yet ... especially since last I looked (last week), they hadn't updated the web page since Oct. 2002. Which worries me a bit since they said they would be updating the database soon but haven't updated the main page to reflect that it has been done as yet.Or that we just try out (maybe one that we couldn't find any info on at SpyChecker or through Googling) and find that it is phoning home and we would want to remove thoroughly from the system ... and some form of spyware/adware removal system would be needed.Always good to have one (or two) in place for just such an occasion :)

spybot has a function that can freeze the IE settings, including the home page. That avoids the hijacking problem.Used ad-aware until it got old. Haven't tried the new version yet but SF has a good writeup as always.

Personally I use SpyBot S&D and Ad-aware 6.x Personal together and run them weekly when I get my antivirus definitions updated and do my full system scans.
LilBambi, Exactly what I do, run them both, although I'm leaning towards Sbybot right now. It maybe tells you too much some times, but better than too little I guess.Chris"Gee mom, isn't that bridge built yet" :huh:

Guest LilBambi

badcat --You are right about that ... in this case more is better, instead of less is more ... He with the larger net catches more fish as they say :huh: Firesign!

LilBambi, Now I have to keep racking my brain trying to come up with some of the more memorable Firesign quotes! :huh: "Complete with factory air conditioned air, from our completely factory air conditioned factory"