Ubuntu is unbelievable!!

epp_b

I have Ubuntu installed on a virtual machine in VMWare, and it's quickly becoming one the distros of choice for me if/when I finally switch over to Linux.Here's the hardware...RAM384MB (allocated in VMWare for Ubuntu)HDDVMWare Virtual SCSI drive (looks just like a standard hard drive for Ubuntu)CDROMI have a generic CD-RW, no brand nameEthernetVMWare virtual Ethernet controller (I'm sure the physical VIA Ethernet card I have would work just fine)VideoVMWare virtual VGA cardNow, here's where it gets amazing...AudioRealtek AC97 OMB cardScanner (<-- yes, scanner!)Agfa Snapscan TouchI have to say, the scanner compatibility amazes me the most. I just connected it, opened up the scanner app (xsane 0.97) ... and it just works!!My grandparents are planning to get a new computer soon, and I'm going to try to get them on Ubuntu (and, hey, they save a few bucks!). Honestly, it's easier than Windows!If ever there is a distro destined to be for the "average" user, Ubuntu is it!

Edited by epp_b

I also worked with Kubuntu when it was still Dapper 5xAfterwards I discivered PCLOS, which is my main distro now, and I also found out that kids and older people find it easier than K/Ubuntu.It's a copy of Mandriva, wifh some good changes/improvememtsJust try it for comparison.There are images available for it too.

Edited by Ajarn

I am having a hard time getting Ubuntu set up than I did with PcLinux. Changing mount points and permissions are easier in PcLinux. I don't like not being able to log into kdm as root. It seems that they make Ubuntu safer by restricting admin commands or usability. I want FULL control not limited. I got to admit that getting my Nvidia 7600 gt card set up was very easy in Ubuntu. Also the 64 bit version seems faster than PcLinux.

I am having a hard time getting Ubuntu set up than I did with PcLinux. Changing mount points and permissions are easier in PcLinux. I don't like not being able to log into kdm as root. It seems that they make Ubuntu safer by restricting admin commands or usability. I want FULL control not limited. I got to admit that getting my Nvidia 7600 gt card set up was very easy in Ubuntu. Also the 64 bit version seems faster than PcLinux.
I think Ubuntu is designed to be an easy-to-use and secure distro for "everyday-folk". And it seems to do a great job!

Hehe, I wish I could b2, but there are still a number of applications for which there are no viable replacements at this time.I will fiddle around with wine, though.

In KDE	*	  Open Konqueror and open the /etc/kde3/kdm/ folder	*	  Right click the kdmrc file and then Actions --> 'Edit as root'	*	  On line 246 should be AllowRootLogin=false change it to 'true'	*	  Save and exit.

This should be

In KDE	*	  Open Konqueror and open /etc/kde3/kdmrc	*	  Right click the kdmrc file and then Actions --> 'Edit as root'	*	  On line 246 should be AllowRootLogin=false change it to 'true'	*	  Save and exit.

Ubuntu is awesome it converted me. I haven't used PCLinuxOS whcich I here is pretty user friendly(I'm downloading the live CD now). I think Ubuntu has a good chance of bringing more people over to the Linux.

Well, when I have run Ubuntu live, I cannot get mplayer to work . . . Granted, I have not installed it, but I also could not get my printer to work; both work live from PCLos before installation . . . ? This is the dapper disk they sent me along with Kubuntu.Bill

Edited by BillD

Well, when I have run Ubuntu live, I cannot get mplayer to work . . . Granted, I have not installed it, but I also could not get my printer to work; both work live from PCLos before installation . . . ? This is the dapper disk they sent me along with Kubuntu.Bill
Psssssst . . . Bill . . . . . they want you to believe Ubuntu is the best invention since sliced bread . . . now, please don't tell on me, but we both know that PCLos is muuuuuch better, don't we ? ;) :pirate: Bruno

Psssssst . . . Bill . . . . . they want you to believe Ubuntu is the best invention since sliced bread . . . now, please don't tell on me, but we both know that PCLos is muuuuuch better, don't we ? :oops: ;) Bruno
:bangin: :bangin: :bangin: Il y a l'arsenic ouaisC'est trop long.Il y a le révolverMais c'est trop court.Il y a l'amitiéC'est trop cher.Il y a le méprisC'est un péché. :pirate:

Il y a le méprisC'est un péché.
Lá t'as raison . . . . . . mais . . . . on peut avoir sa propre vérité, mais est ce la vérité pour les autres ?:) Bruno

Lá t'as raison . . . . . . mais . . . . on peut avoir sa propre vérité, mais est ce la vérité pour les autres ?B) Bruno
Translation Lá have you reason. . . . . . but. . . . one can have his own truth, but is the this truth for the others?
I don't think so. Ubuntu works better for me. :thumbsup: Melthe :devil: made me do it... :D

Guest LilBambi

Can't compare PCLos with Ubuntu because I haven't installed PCLos as yet and no room to do so right now, but overall, I have to say, I really am very happy about everything in Ubuntu except sudo and only with sudo's quirks. :thumbsup: Overall, I haven't missed true root except once so far...but it was a frustrating one.But it works so well and I am very happy with Ubuntu. The team has done a tremendous job.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm a poor judge of PCLinuxOS because it crashed my system twice while trying to install it. I eventually gave up on it. With that in mind, I won't judge it harshly. I've heard many folks talk about what an excellent distro it is. However, Ubuntu works... for me, anyway. :thumbsup:

I completely agree. I actually use Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu since I prefer KDE over GNOME. The latest version runs on AIGLX by default so I could set up Beryl. Beryl is absolutely godly and I'm getting fluid frame rates on an Intel Integrated Graphics :thumbsup:I just wish Kubuntu didn't give KDE apps a monopoly on my system on first setup. Seeing "K" everywhere in the start menu will make you think you've gone insane. :thumbsup: That's my only gripe, and even then the access to Ubuntu's amazing repository more than makes up for it. I recommend Kubuntu over Ubuntu since KDE is the far better DE.

I too didn't install (K)Ubuntu because try as I might, I couldn't get the printer working. It's a networked HP and works in Vector, Mepis, and PCLos. I won't install any distro if I can't print.

... on peut avoir sa propre vérité, mais est ce la vérité pour les autres ?
:devil: TEMMMMMMMPPPPTAAAATION! :D 051227ballmerpe7.gif"On peut avoir sa propre vérité, mais est ce la vérité pour les autres ?" :thumbsup:

What is he doing here in ATL? B) :lol:
OK, OK... in reality - and partly in French - he said:
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer got his Francophile on last week in answering a question about the leadership transition at Microsoft."Well, I probably shouldn't just lapse into French," Ballmer said during an interview at the Gartner Symposium/ITxpo in Orlando, Fla., "but I would say, 'plus ça change, plus ça reste la meme.' The more things change, the more they stay the same. As a little kid, I grew up in a French-speaking country, so I apologize for that."Ballmer's family moved in the mid-1960s from Detroit to Brussels, Belgium, where he learned to "speak perfect French," according to one biography.The old saying, Ballmer continued, fits the situation at Microsoft well."There are basic core principles that have been at the backbone of Microsoft, and I don't think anybody ought to expect to see any change," he said. Among those core principles: an expansive footprint that crosses entertainment, online, enterprise and desktop businesses; a focus on innovation; the Live platform; and tenacity."The bone doesn't fall out of our mouth easily," Ballmer said.
But, hey, given the season... the umptieth rerun of "It's a Wonderful Life" and all... one can dream, can't one? :thumbsup: :devil: :D

:devil: TEMMMMMMMPPPPTAAAATION! B) 051227ballmerpe7.gif"On peut avoir sa propre vérité, mais est ce la vérité pour les autres ?" :thumbsup:
one can have his own truth, but is this truth for the others? :D