How does one know IE7 Exists?

RandomBox

I am finding out that most (of my) people that run WinXP don't have a clue that IE7 even exist or is downloadable for FREE of charge!We here at SFNL:Forums undoubtedly take it for granted and may all have it installed in our systems but I don't know if the Microsoft Update site makes users aware that it can be downloaded/installed.Have you all told your own people that they should download and install it? I have had done so for about a few dozen of my contacts and none has had an issue installing it or using it. Of course, it helps to give them a little tutorial on how to use Tabs...Scot's Newsletter (Dec 06 issue) got me thinking on this subject!Can anyone shed some light on this quandary for me!

That assumes that everyone should download it at this point. For my part I'm happy to use IE6 while other people act as guinea pigs for the IE7 bugs. That approach might be especially appropriate for novice users. Of course, maybe this Microsoft product has no bugs . . . . I also believe in the tooth fairy.

Hello,I am running Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 on some computers at home and at work under both Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista. It is offered as a download from the Microsoft Update web site for Windows XP users and comes built in to Windows Vista. It is also available for download from Microsoft's web site at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.I cannot say I have noted any major incompatibilities with it--there are a few sites I have been to where some of the text and graphic elements on a page do not line up correctly, but that is a relatively minor issue.RegardsAryeh Goretsky

Guest LilBambi

One thing to be wary of with IE7 is to make sure that QuickBooks/QuickBooks Pro is reportedly working right with it before updating because these Intuit products are lazy and have in the past locked people into particular versions of IE (and Java too for that matter) for compatibility instead of making their products interoperable.Does anyone know for a fact that IE7 works correctly with QuickBooks/QuickBooks Pro and if so, did you have to appy QuickBooks/QuickBooks Pro first to get that interoperability?There are also other programs that do this, but this one has been a bear in the past if IE is not the default browser.

...why?
Connectivity issues (none prior); imported bookmarks, next day they were gone; kept phoning home saying there were updates available...none to be found etc.The minor glitches i can deal with but the connectivity issue was the last straw.patio. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Actually, there is a Microsoft Updates (for all MS products, if you signed up for them) but the Windows Updates still remains but you don't see it if you sign up for Microsoft Updates.

Actually, there is a Microsoft Updates (for all MS products, if you signed up for them) but the Windows Updates still remains but you don't see it if you sign up for Microsoft Updates.
Indeed, LilBambi,I think the difference is to continue to allow those who donot want to go thru the validation schemes { ;) } to be able to get at some of the security patches, et al. The 'windows update' site does not include other patches, such as Office® updates that the 'microsoft update' site does.... me thinx! Edited by RandomBox

Yes as I said when I goto Windows Update it says Microsoft Update. On my copy of Xp it says Microsoft Update. Now for some reason on my Vista Build 5744 it says Windows Update.See Pic below for clarification:WU.png

So, the real question that comes up is:Does WindowsUpdate in WinVista also show/allow Office products updates, as does MicrosoftUpdate in WinXP (but NOT WindowsUpdate in WinXP)? I know, I know; it sounds like a mouthful but a simple Yes/No as an answer would suffice!

So, the real question that comes up is:Does WindowsUpdate in WinVista also show/allow Office products updates, as does MicrosoftUpdate in WinXP (but NOT WindowsUpdate in WinXP)? I know, I know; it sounds like a mouthful but a simple Yes/No as an answer would suffice!
Keep in mind that I haven't read through the entire thread before making this reply.Yes if you opt in Vista. If you go under Windows Update in Vista, it will ask you if you want to include updates for hardware drivers, office, visual studio, and other apps. If you opt in, you will get the same updates as Microsoft Update in Xp.If you run Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, you also get "Ultimate Extra" in addition to the current Windows Update. As the name suggests, it is "extra" (similar to Plus!), so it will be available to Ultimate users as optional installs. Edited by ThunderRiver

...to be technically correct about the whole thing, I guess whether it is WindowsUpdates or MicroSoftUpdates, they both use %SystemRoot%\system32\wupdmgr.exe as the engine!Since I don't do the 'auto update' thingymajob, when I do a manual update {errrr.....} initiation, the panel that pops up asks if I want to go the "Express" or "Custom" route.For example, today I did a check for updates using the "Custom" route and Change in DST showed up as an "Optional Software" download. *High Priority (1)*Software, Optional (5)*Hardware, Optional (0)*Beta Software (0)If a user is on "auto updates". do these "Optional" items get automatically installed?Hence was the reason for the original post/question and I have no idea what that word "hence" means but it looks good!

I don't run XP so this is what I think happens.You have a few choices for auto: one is to just inform the user of updates, another is to download in the background and inform the user that the update(s) has/have been downloaded and are ready to be installed and the last is to download and install.The last choice is the worst, IMHO. Because if it installs and the computer reboots while you are working on something, you might have a mess on your hands.I think my doc has hers set to inform only (on her personal office computer). She knew IE7 was available but hadn't installed it. I asked when I was troubleshooting her computer just to see if an IE7 update could be the problem.For people who don't really know what is going on and maybe don't even realize that windows has to be updated (yes there are people who never update), probably the middle option is the best. Set the computer up to download in the background and inform them when the install is ready. That might also be good for people on dialup because they might not be able to stay connected for a large and therefore long download. It would come down in bits and pieces every time they are online until the full file is on the computer and then inform them to install it.