Mandrake 9.1 on HP desktops

Peachy

This is happy news for Mandrake fans. It looks like HP will be selling PCs preloaded with Mandrake 9.1 as early as July 7.

nlinecomputers

Uh oh,Don't tell Bill but one of his OEM's slave *cough* partners is selling PCs without Windows on it.A major OEM sellling Linux is exactly what we need. Especially if they show up in a Best Buy where people can see them.

Actaully, they always could do it..the trick was a Model that was not Windows designed specific (hense the tie-in with the windows oem contract)...I think this will work much better than Dells experiment w/ Redhat, plus I think HP will advertise(Which Dell didn't).

nlinecomputers

I don't think Dell ever offered RedHat for the desktop just on servers. HP put some mussle into its bid with Microsoft to get a good buy and still offer Mandrake. Most OEMs can't seem to do this. I hate HPs but I'm tempted to buy one of these things just to support them in this effort.It's time to put a crack in old M$ hold on the OEM market.

NathanIt is good seeing someone pry MS out of oem ownership...but I also blame alot of that on the PC makers themselves..They made that deal to cut cost and paid for it..or should i say consumers paid for it.

Also , back in 2001 ( I think really for only about 1 qtr..)you could order Dells w/ Redhat 7.1 installed..but they never really made it known, and stopped in Aug 2001.(about when I was ordering..DANG!!)

Cannot remember where I read this, (will try to find out), but believe "eMachines" are going to offer Mandrake 9.1 on some of there machines, as they already do in Europe. (If this is faulty info, please excuse my being gullible). :D

Hi QuintI think you mean Evesham who is selling the Mandrake computers in the UK.Mandrake is making a big impact on the market right now.:D Bruno

Hi QuintI think you mean Evesham who is selling the Mandrake computers in the UK.Mandrake is making a big impact on the market right now.:) Bruno
Hi Bruno,Thanks for clarifying; but I did hear somewhere, that it would spill over to the States'. That will be great for people who have no desire to build their own PC. :D (Back to searching where I read that).

I think they're targeting small to medium businesses doing hardware and license renewal. This combo of HP/Compaq would be less expensive the XP Pro or Server.By the way, Bruno, the Mandrake name you give me has worked. He emailed today to say that they are sending Mandrake 9.1 Power Pack instead of the Standard. Thanks for the help. ;)

By the way, Bruno, the Mandrake name you give me has worked.  He emailed today to say that they are sending Mandrake 9.1 Pro Suite instead of the Standard.  Thanks for the help. ;)
Glad that worked Henderrob !! See it helps if you have the right connections !! ;);) Bruno

SonicDragon
It looks like HP will be selling PCs preloaded with Mandrake 9.1 as early as July 7.
YAY! Maybe that will bring the price of those computers down. I've been thinking about buying a computer to dedicate to Linux, maybe this way i won't have to pay for the XP licence :lol:!