Vista Software

James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher

I thought it might be a good idea to start up a list of software that you have found works in Vista. Preferably, this is software that has been shown to be compatible with the final gold code, but if you are using either RC1 or RC2 or later and the application works, feel free to list it here.Note that this is not a thread to troubleshoot software incompatibilities with Vista, but to simply list software that works. :thumbsup: Thanks,

Microsoft Office Pro 2007 Microsoft Live OneCareThat is all I have installed so far. Vista RTM.I'm still waiting for the RTM product key before I install anything else. :thumbsup:

James M. Fisher

Thanks Ron.I have Office 2007/OneNote 2007 installed.Today, I successfully installed SnagIt v8 and EditPad Lite as well as Windows Live Mail Desktop beta.

It may be worth considering allowing all software that people have tried and whether it worked or not. I know that I tried a particular Anti-Virus and found that it did not work.-Matt

James M. Fisher

Matt, feel free to start a new thread on that subject. It should consist of software that does not work in the RTM release, not any earlier builds.Thanks!

Tried all the following software on RTM. They all work unless I specified otherwise.Firefox 2.0Microsoft Office 2003 ProfessionalMicrosoft Office 2007 EnterpriseCA eTrust Antivirus 7.1 (RealMon.exe may not launch on startup. Only happens if you did not remove eTrust before upgrade from Xp)AIM 5.9 and 6.0 (with AIM Ad Hack)Grant Theft Auto San AndreasSkype 2.5Windows AIK for VistaAdobe Acrobat Reader 7.0.8 (it works in all app I have tried so far. However, you have to be careful about where you print PDF files. Like it won't let you print PDF to C:\)Adobe Acrobat Professonal 8 (everything works except it does not work with protected mode in Windows Internet Explorer. Upon printng PDF, it triggers protection warning in IE. Becuase of protected mode, acrobat fails to retrieve activation data. So it will show an error dialog box "Adobe PDF creation cannot contnue becuase Acrobat is not activated.")Microsoft SyncToy 1.4Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team SuiteMicrosoft MSDN LibraryNew York Times Reader for VistaHP QuickPlay 2.3 (Win32 versoin works, but not Windows XP embeded partition)Adobe Flash Player 9 Plugin (Does not work on Firefox 2.0 on Vista. Can't seem to install it)Windows Mail (built-in Vista, but upgrade from Outlook Express is painless if you do upgrade from Xp)WinAMP (It plays music and everything but does not remember my user settings. Perhaps, Vista doesn't allow WinAMP to store user settings under C:\Program Files)VLC Player 8.5 (Works if you set the Output Module under Video to Windows GDI mode or else Aero will be disabled)Citi Credit Card Virtual Number Account (Having trouble to install under Windows Internet Explorer, but the standalone app still works if you upgrade from Xp)Windows Live Messenger 8.1 BetaPaint.NET 2.72Windows Live PhotoSynth (Works on Vista running ATI X600 256 Mb)Windows Live Local 3D BetaMicrosoft Office Communicator (May be unstable, but it was unstable in Xp in the first place)WinRAR 3.6.1Singer's Creations - Weather Watcher (Works when I upgraded from Xp Pro, but pretty useless in Vista because you have sidebar gadget that tells you the current weather and temp)Software that I tried in interm builds (between RC2 and RTM) and worked, but haven't tried in RTMTechsmith Camtasia 4.0Software that I haven't had time to try out, but it should work with VistaNero Burner 7.5.7Microsoft Flight Simulator X (I had testers confirming that it works beautifully on Vista)

Edited by ThunderRiver

Microsoft Office Pro 2007 Microsoft Live OneCareThat is all I have installed so far. Vista RTM.I'm still waiting for the RTM product key before I install anything else. :)
How are you runnng Vista in the first place? When you either upgrade or install Vista, it asks you product key. Edited by ThunderRiver

You can skip the product key when installing. Setup then asks you what SKU you're installing. You have to pick the one that goes with the product key you have or expect to get at a later time. If you choose the wrong one, you may end up formatting and reinstalling the right SKU.Kevin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
James M. Fisher

The Windows Vista Application Compatibility UpdateSUMMARY:The Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update is a package of software updates that address common application compatibility issues in Windows Vista. When you try to install and run certain legacy games or applications in Windows Vista, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: •The game or application may not be installed correctly.•The game or application may cause system instability.•The primary functions of the game or application may not work correctly.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929427

2BrightSparks SyncBackSE v4.1.3.0Chris Mallet's AutoHotkey v1.0.46.06Corel WinZip Pro v11.0 Build 7313Forte Agent v4.2 Build 1117Google GoogleTalk 1.0.0.104Microsoft Windows Live Messenger v8.1.0178.00Northwest Performance Software Netscan Tools Pro v10.43Pyrenean eDexter v1.42Raxco PerfectDisk v8.0Qualcomm Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9Tim Kosse's FileZilla v2.2.30

• 8 months later...

So much for old software not working on Vista, I just installed Photoshop 5 and it works!Also installed Illustrator 7 which also seems to work fine.Can't find my Photoshop7 and Illustrator 10 disks which is the reason for installing the old stuff.

• 4 weeks later...