Window's Vista

marcos9999

So far, compatibility is not a big issue at all for most applications that I use. The ones that I currently have issue with includePowerToys for XP (well, it was made for Xp)VLC (VLC 0.8.5 has some bad codes that disables Aero while playing video. Should be fixed in 0.9)In terms of software that work under Vista. Gosh..countlessAOL Instant MessengerSkypeMozilla Firefox 2.0Office 2003Office 2007Visual Studio 2005 (Show Warning, but works just fine)Streets and Trips 2007CA eTrust AntivirusAdobe Acrobat 6 (in conflict with the security feature within IE7. But other than that, print PDF works perfectly)and many more.Application compatibilities are stressed throughout the development cycle of Vista, and if your application is programmed within the Xp guideline, and not require Admin privilege, you should be fine.

don't know, haven't tried, but...anyone know if vista has a "compatibility mode" for xp and older programs?
the answer is yes
And drivers for all the hardware that folks may have will be another area for difficulty.
Surprisingly, not at all for recent purchased devices. I bought my HP Pavilion DV2000t back in late August, and currently, all drivers are supported. Even the graphics card is supplied through Windows Update, so Aero interface was enabled without much hassleFurthermore, Vista now supports SATA hard disks natively ;) Edited by ThunderRiver

Furthermore, Vista now supports SATA hard disks natively
Vista has since at least back to Build 5308 as that is the first Build I used , all with SATA drives. I am using Build 5744 and it still will not recognize my printer. The only decent burning software I could install was Nero 7.5.7. Many programs will work but they have an ill effect on Aero. Microsoft's own Software for Wireless Keyboards Intelitype 5.2 and or 5.5 will not install.Overall , I sort of like Vista and I may upgrade to it, that snipping tool is great. :whistling:

Vista Builds 5744 and 5808 found every hardware item on my 2 1/2 year old Compaq Presario laptop. Both in X86 and X64 versions. XP Pro X64 has never found every item and that is going on 2 years now.The working software in the above link far exceeds the non-working software.I had no problems with a 6 year old HP 970Cxi inkjet with either 32 or 64 bit drivers.By Jan 30th, everything should be up to speed.

Vista Builds 5744 and 5808 found every hardware item on my 2 1/2 year old Compaq Presario laptop. Both in X86 and X64 versions. XP Pro X64 has never found every item and that is going on 2 years now.The working software in the above link far exceeds the non-working software.I had no problems with a 6 year old HP 970Cxi inkjet with either 32 or 64 bit drivers.By Jan 30th, everything should be up to speed.
It was released RTM , the other day. It should be up to speed now. The printer it will not recognize is a Lexmark X6150. It does see the scan portion but not the printer function. The Software from Lexmark will not install.

How is any of that a Microsoft problem? Hardware manufactures are responsible for their software and device drivers... plus they have had two years to to work out the kinks. I would dump any hardware that has failed to keep up and current.

It was released RTM , the other day. It should be up to speed now. The printer it will not recognize is a Lexmark X6150. It does see the scan portion but not the printer function. The Software from Lexmark will not install.
There is nothing Microsoft can do if third parties deicde to delay on their development of latest driver support. So it is unreasonable to say it should be up to speed now. Aside from Vista talk, I can see that you are a big fan of OSU. It is funny to see that OSU and Michigan can never get along. It is just a game...

How is any of that a Microsoft problem? Hardware manufactures are responsible for their software and device drivers... plus they have had two years to to work out the kinks. I would dump any hardware that has failed to keep up and current.
And Microsoft is responsible for nothing?? Why will their own Software not work? Intellitype Pro 5.2. They are the manufacturer ?? Myself and the general public do not have an endless supply of money to spend on products that MS will not support. If they will not support their own products , how can they expect other manufacturers to do so.

And Microsoft is responsible for nothing?? Why will their own Software not work? Intellitype Pro 5.2. They are the manufacturer ?? Myself and the general public do not have an endless supply of money to spend on products that MS will not support. If they will not support their own products , how can they expect other manufacturers to do so.
Did you not read their notice on Microsoft Hardware web site?Intellitype and IntelliMouse 6 won't be available until December.General public won't get Vista until January, so what are you complaining about?Do you just complain without giving people time? Since when I hear you applaud Vista team's effort? geez

Did you not read their notice on Microsoft Hardware web site?Intellitype and IntelliMouse 6 won't be available until December.General public won't get Vista until January, so what are you complaining about?Do you just complain without giving people time? Since when I hear you applaud Vista team's effort? geez
Then why the Driver updates from Windows Update? MS did release it to RTM. Give them time? MS has been working on this for years. I am not complaining , just responding to a question. But they still don't have XP right so I guess a few more years won't matter. :whistling:

1. I have a keyboard (ViewSonic branded) that I have gotten soooo used to: It has a scroll wheel on the left side of the keyboard (near the Esc key). I have gotten to the habit of using it for scrolling as my left hand just falls directly on it and I use it more often than the scroll wheel of my pointing device. Well, guess what? It does not work. I am warned that the driver is not compatible with WinVista and will not work.2. I have an old legacy SMC1208 telco modem. No I don't use it often enough for anything but maybe for a fax every February 30th. Well, guess what? It does not work.3. I have attempted to install three different software (*out of probably over a thousand (YES: with three zeros) installed software) on my present WinXP. Well, guess what? Some don't install and others just don't work. One example is my trusted Acronis True Image; which does weird things with WinVista and maybe they will rectify the situation soon. 4. Then the issue with attempting to transport some of my Documents and Settings files tells me that I don't have the proper authorization to even look at them.Need I go on? And, oh that @#$% UserAccessControls, ...oh that @#$% UAC!I think I may have gone :whistling:, what was the original question? :thumbsup:

Edited by RandomBox

Guest LilBambi

Far from being a negative, this discussion is actually a positive.It shows folks are at least trying to use Vista.The fact that they are having trouble with software and driver installations and actually posting about it on the web is also a good sign. Microsoft should see a list of software and drivers that are not functioning properly on Vista so they, who have more pull with vendors than users do, can contact the vendor to encourage them to update the drivers and/or software that isn't working right or won't install on Vista.I would suggest that anyone who has trouble with a driver and/or software on Vista should post the driver and/or software they have had trouble with in hopes that maybe Highlanders who are also Microsoft MVPs will see them, and bring it up to Microsoft since they have an inside track.B)

So Microsoft should go around forcing vendors to comply with Vista standards? They offered a free tool -- the Software Compatibility Toolkit... Vendors are responsible for compatibility not Microsoft. Microsoft is only responsible for a stable platform.Who is responsible for Linux drivers?

And, oh that @#$% UserAccessControls, ...oh that @#$% UAC!
So why don't you turn it off?

I would suggest that anyone who has trouble with a driver and/or software on Vista should post the driver and/or software they have had trouble with in hopes that maybe Highlanders who are also Microsoft MVPs will see them, and bring it up to Microsoft since they have an inside track.B)
Inside track? Not quite. Perhaps contacts in certain areas due to additional access and information provided based on the award, but no inside track. B) However, I do have a suggestion for anyone having problems with a driver or software. First, attempt to contact the vendor letting them know that you wish to continue using their product but will not be able to if the driver/software isn't updated to be compatible with Vista. The other is to register and post for help at http://shellrevealed.com/forums/default.aspx . It is a Microsoft Forum, specifically dedicated to Microsoft Windows, particularly including Vista.

Thanks Corrine, I have done what you posted and never recieved a reply. I also have sent numerous reports to MS about the following:1. Screensaver will not work2. Will not go into sleep on it's own3. When placed into sleep manually , it will not return to the desktop( about 40%)4. When I boot into Xp , it is a gamble to see if Vista will boot the next time.5. Forgot: System Restore does not work.I have had all of the above problems with every build from 5308 to 5774 with the exception of Build 5384. I also posted on technets forum but the one you have posted is new to me. Thanks again. B)

Edited by Gary

Usually, I am not in the habit of biting the hand that feeds me.Any inputs that I post here (or elsewhere) regarding MicroSoft and their products maybe laden with what may appear to be negative in nature, but objects in mirrors sometime are farther away than they appear.I have simply provided some personal experiences that I have noticed with WinVista thus far. *I had intentionally omitted the fact that my (2 month old) Samsung SyncMaster (#204B) 20.1" LCD monitor also has problems with the utilities that refuse to install in WinVista.*To give credit where its due, I was literally in full shock :D when I realized that my outboard USB Yamaha Cavitt audio receiver (#RP-U100) was functional from the minute WinVista was installed. I still don't understand why: as this $500MSRP external audio processor never sold well and was discontinued by Yamaha about three years ago. I don't quite understand why MicroSoft would see fit to detect and install the needed drivers for such low volume product. However, as with my LCD monitor, the utilities that came with this product also refuse to install in WinVista.So, technically I have four (4) hobbled hardware that kinda/sorta work with WinVista and I have no future visions that they will ever be fully functional in WinVista..... and YES, these shortcoming in WinVista hardware compatibility have been reported to them.I think I may have gone :P again, what was the original question? B)

Just a quick note: System Restore does not work properly when you're dual-booting with XP. I wrote about that in a recent Scot's Newsletter. This is not a beta bug; it's a permanent condition. Microsoft has a blog post that explains this. The link is in the newsletter; it's a 60-Second Brief from either August or Sept. issues.-- Scot

Just a quick note: System Restore does not work properly when you're dual-booting with XP. I wrote about that in a recent Scot's Newsletter. This is not a beta bug; it's a permanent condition. Microsoft has a blog post that explains this. The link is in the newsletter; it's a 60-Second Brief from either August or Sept. issues.-- Scot
And Microsoft is not going to fix this ever? I will have to re read that NL. Thanks Scot :thumbsup:I love the workaround:
The workaround: To avoid losing Windows Vista shadow copies on a disk that you don’t need to access from Windows XP, disconnect or power off the disk prior to booting to Windows XP.
The problem that I am having does not happen every time I boot into Xp, it is a hit and miss thing. I reckon that if I upgrade to Vista, I will not be dual booting. :P Edited by Gary

Good information about the caveat for SystemRestore, Scot F., :thumbsup:I am telling you >> this thing uze guyz call "Dual Boot" is riddled with road-blocks and work-arounds on a good day! Crash-prone all other times! Ironically, it appears that it is not a question of "if" but more of a question of "when"!If one must use "Dual Boot", then the ONLY option becomes the religious use of AcronisTrueImage or NortonGhost often!I tried that new native WinVista imaging feature just for kicks!Although it lacks user customization "by design", I was not too successful in resurrecting the OS back to life as it was prior to creating it. Someday, I will have to go back and fully learn the ropes. It is a promising feature and I hope MicroSoft fully develops it and makes it fully usable.

Intellitype and IntelliMouse 6 won't be available until December.
I really hate to tell you but , they both are NOT compatible with Vista Build 5744.Why can't MS make their own software compatible?????????????? :( :thumbsdown:

because they intentionally broke the current model to isolate the gui from the rest of the os. later, they plan to further fragment the os so that upgrading a section does not destroy the rest of the os. it's streamlinging and simplifying. and it breaks what already is.
Well if Microsoft can't even put out software that is compatible , how in the heck is the rest of the industry to do so. I can't even get it to install using the compatibility wizard.

I know we are going way OffTopic with our replies but I think we have already provided the answer for the original question.So, I guess we are allowed to deviate to :thumbsdown: stuff.It is not just the MicroSoft hardware that has problems with MicroSoft software. MicroSoft software also seems to have problems with MicroSoft software as well! :blink: *Case(#1) in point: I have no problems with installing an alternative internet browser (Opera, Maxthon, FireFox, for examples) inside a WinOS. Yet, attempting to install the final release of IE7 gave my system some serious epileptic seizures of the typical MicroSoft kind, that no other program can! Don't ask me why! I really don't give a hoot!*Case(#2) in point: Why must I endure 3minutes and 23seconds of agony from the time I click on the "MicroSoft Update" link, for it to tell me that there are no current "Critical Security Updates" to the system? Maybe it is "by design" and MicroSoft really does not want me to stare at the prompt Checking for the Latest Updates for Your Computer... for over 3+minutes. Of course, the no-brainer answer is "just set it for auto-updates" but that does not answer the question why it should take so long each and every time! :(

I know we are going way OffTopic with our replies but I think we have already provided the answer for the original question.So, I guess we are allowed to deviate to :thumbsdown: stuff.It is not just the MicroSoft hardware that has problems with MicroSoft software. MicroSoft software also seems to have problems with MicroSoft software as well! :blink: *Case(#1) in point: I have no problems with installing an alternative internet browser (Opera, Maxthon, FireFox, for examples) inside a WinOS. Yet, attempting to install the final release of IE7 gave my system some serious epileptic seizures of the typical MicroSoft kind, that no other program can! Don't ask me why! I really don't give a hoot!*Case(#2) in point: Why must I endure 3minutes and 23seconds of agony from the time I click on the "MicroSoft Update" link, for it to tell me that there are no current "Critical Security Updates" to the system? Maybe it is "by design" and MicroSoft really does not want me to stare at the prompt Checking for the Latest Updates for Your Computer... for over 3+minutes. Of course, the no-brainer answer is "just set it for auto-updates" but that does not answer the question why it should take so long each and every time! :(
The topic is Microsoft Vista. All posts are on topic.