Internet Explorer 7

volunteer

I installed 10 automatic updates, one was IE7. Everything installed with no errors but there's no icon to start it. It shows in Programs Installed. How do I start it? I started to uninstall but it gave warnings that updates installed with it will cause problems. I should have known better.

James M. Fisher
I installed 10 automatic updates, one was IE7. Everything installed with no errors but there's no icon to start it. It shows in Programs Installed. How do I start it? I started to uninstall but it gave warnings that updates installed with it will cause problems. I should have known better.
You mean there's no desktop icon for IE7? Is there a Start menu Icon? Quicklaunch icon?

You mean there's no desktop icon for IE7? Is there a Start menu Icon? Quicklaunch icon?
James. nope. Not a thing. Is there a command I can type in "RUN"?

James M. Fisher

That's right (or just iexplore.exe).Also, right-click your desktop>properties>Desktop tab, then the "Customize desktop" button an put a checkmark in the Internet Explorer checkbox.

This must be a common occurrence because Sandi Hardmeier posted about this just yesterday. For anyone else with the problem, if the former suggestions don't work, Sandi's reg fix will:

Is your IE7 desktop icon missing in Vista?This is what you are missing. Create a reg file with the following text - merge with the registry:Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000You will need to refresh the desktop to see the shortcut (right click on desktop, select refresh).

Good stuff, Corrine!I had a big problem installing release version of IE7 over the previous beta version. No matter what I did to install it, I kept getting access permission denials in the registry!I tried to install it over beta!I tried virgin/fresh install!I tried admin account install!I even tried safe mode install!Nothing, nada, zip, zilch!It'd fail each and every time; with different access denied errors per the install log (ie7.log)!In an act of desperation, I was forced to go to the command prompt and run the command/script:

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
and schzaaaam. I was successful!

One quick point: It's not a big deal to uninstall IE7 even though it warns you about other applications. The browser is a Web-based service to many other applications. At this point, few apps are dependent on IE7-specific features. So it's no issue to revert to IE6. Later it may become more of an issue.-- Scot

... during my recent exploits to update from IE7Beta and install the released version of IE7, I DID get a prompt that InternetExplorer7 was a required component and was needed to launch Windows LiveMail Desktop Beta (old OutlookExpress). :o