I'm Giving Up Firefox

teacher

You can set more than one page as a home page. I've done that in 1.5.7 so when I fired up FF, I had a few tabs open.To set more than one home page:hard way: you type in the first url, then a pipe (that vertical bar above the \ key), then the next url and keep going until you are done separating each with a pipeeasy way: open all the tabs that you want open when you start the browsern and then at the main tab of options, under home page select "use current pages".

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gary

• teacher

• RandomBox

• zlim

Top Posters In This Topic

Being on dialup, I don't want a bunch of pages trying to open while I'm connecting. Instead, I have about:blank as my start page. While connecting, I launch FF. Since I also dislike toolbars and have only the one customized with only forward, back, refresh, the usual File, Edit, View, History, etc., the address bar and a bunch of bookmark folders. The folders are organized for quick access to tools/links, etc. One folder contains the dozen or so sites I open as my "home pages". After the connection is established, its easy to right-click and select "Open All in tabs".

I have to agree with Gary that your issues at work are most likely caused by a network issue. Other software conflicting with Firefox is pretty unlikely -- unless it's security software. Your school may be using some sort of content filter, and that could definitely cause the problems you describe. It's an Internet Explorer world, and many IT solutions aren't tested with anything but IE as a result.I'm really surprised you're seeing slow load times with FF2 at home. This what I like best about FF2 on the Mac. It's fast! I'm not saying it's faster than Safari, which is also very fast. But I never have time to be annoyed with FF2 on the two Macs I have it running on. (Soon to be three if my Core 2 Duo MBP 17 ever arrives!)-- Scot

I have reached some conclusions. On my school computer:FF is now almost as fast as in IE. Today it actually loaded before I could do the same links on Internet Explorer 7. My routine is to open my six tabs on Firefox 2 and then go open the same ones in IE7. Since upgrading I had been able to open the ones in Firefox and then the ones in Internet Explorer and I could print before the firebox ones would finish opening. It opened right away today. I went to my Control Panel - Administrative Tools --Application Logs and I still have errors but it is running faster. I suspect something is happening with my hard drive. I'm going to defrag today.ScotYou may have hit the nail on the head for my dissatisfaction at home. I have been comparing it to Safari and Safari is always faster. I need to start plugging in my Mac and compare it that way instead of wireless.

I am reading this topic with interest since I have just upgraded to FF 2 in both windows and Suse 10 . I have had a few crashes when in windows and FF2 but they are usualy when I try to rush it too much since I am on dialup and I try to load too many things at once . But there is one thing I have noticed for some reason I get an url that I did not enter or call for it just switches to the new one seemingly by itself .Another point is as ( I believe it was Ross that mentioned it first is the session restore feature it does in fact work fine for me after a crash it gives me the option top either restore the previous session or start a new one . And as I mentioned before these things only happen in windows not in Suse .

Not a bank account but I am sure i have probably printed out an order receipt or something but not at work. I don't order anything or check banking at work. I can't think of anything that would have been https there. Is there a bug with that?
Yeah, but I corrected it. Well, not me but the distro I was using it in, probably a CUPS update.Before that when I tried to print a receipt FF would crash and close completely, albeit it always finished to print the receipt. But it also had something to do with frames. When the receipt was made visible in a separate tab (show only this frame) and then I tried to print that, the above mentioned problem would occur.It was on linux, don't have it on windows.

I guess I'll add this comment regarding Firefox 2.0 given the manythat have appeared already. I am using FF 2.0 in Windows and findthat I cannot view my emails in Yahoo Mail. I click on the particularemail expecting the next window to open and I'll view my email; butthat is not the case. Further, I cannot click on the buttons such as'reply' and get a response. I was able to view the email if I click onthe 'print view' and only then can I read the email.I tried Opera and there is no problem with these same emails, thereforeit seems that there is something amiss with Firefox. I have sent'customer care' a note requesting help; but haven't had a response asyet?

rpiz,This is not a cure for your current FF/Yahoo problems but may I suggest that you give Mozilla ThunderBird email client a try?You will also have to download a small utility called YPOPs! so that you can fetch YahooMail directly to your system.

*YPOPs! is an application that provides POP3 access to Yahoo! Mail. It is available o­n the Windows, Linux, Solaris and Mac platforms. *Yahoo! Mail disabled free access to its POP3 service o­n 24th April, 2002. This application emulates a POP3 server and enables popular email clients like Outlook, Netscape, Eudora, Mozilla, etc., to download email from Yahoo! accounts. We do not go against the license agreements of Yahoo! Mail. This application is completely legitimate and well within the realms of legal software.*How do we do it you ask? Well, this application is more like a gateway. It provides a POP3 server interface at o­ne end to talk to email clients and an HTTP client (browser) interface at the other which allows it to talk to Yahoo!
Both Mozilla TB and YPOPs! are OpenSource and/or FREEware and both are WinOS as well as Linux compatible.The side benefit of this awesome combination being that you will never have to put up with another advertisement that YahooMail is infested with.

rpiz, I experienced just the opposite tonight. I opened an email in Yahoo (FF2) and could read it perfectly. Since it contained a download link for CounterSpy that I needed on another computer, I fired up the other computer, went to yahoo, clicked on the email and got only the headers - no email message. This was in FF 1.5.0.8. I just added a new extension today (ewebmail) and thought maybe that was the problem. I uninstalled it, closed FF, fired it up again (with the extension removed) and still got a blank page. Both computers are running 2K so I can't blame it on the OS> I have no idea what is going on. I finally just typed the download link from the one computer into the address bar of the other so I could get the download.

RandomBoxThanks, I already had Thunderbird installed and now following your suggestion, I downloaded'ypops'. I just completed the setup and now I can view my emails from Yahoo. ALso, theysent a lengthy list of items to try inorder to arrive at a solution to the problem. I'll have towade throught these fixes and see if I can recover my Yahoo email account. In any eventyour suggestion works and I appreciate your help.zlimLooks like Firefox has a little work to do?? Maybe after getting through these suggestedfixes I'll be able to narrow it down to the root cause? Or I may have to go back to Firefox 1.508 until Mozilla gets this issue resolved? Tnx B)

I've also had people write to me that problems that they used to have in Yahoo Mail under FF 1.5 were fixed in FF2.0. I'm not a Yahoo Mail user at all (not my favorite company, plus a abhor webmail), but I'm guessing that Yahoo may use either Java or JavaScript (probably the latter), and that when you installed FF2, perhaps a setting changed. -- Scot

Guest LilBambi

rpiz,I use Thunderbird email ... works well in Linux and in Windows and has many great features.I have been using it for several years now. Same profile since I started using it. I just move it to whatever computer/OS I am working on at the moment as my main computer/OS. Only minor changes needed between Linux and Windows, mainly pathing differences. But the Thunderbird FAQ walks you though that (available on the Mozilla.com site links).Hope that helps.

I think some of the problems with yahoo and firefox might orginate with the yahoo site, I have noticed on and off for the last month at least problems. Sometimes I log in and read my email no problem and other times it is pretty near impossible. I am using which ever version of firefox is in the distro I am using. I usually use Mandriva and it has FF2. but like I said it seems to be yahoo that is having a problem. Maybe where they are upgrading their system?

IncrediMail and BatMail should also get some credit as email clients. However, OutlookExpress (with the new look of MicroSoft LiveMailDesktop) does a pretty credible job as an email client. Although, one must master the art of religiously backing up the data, in case of problems. Yet, I find MicroSoft Office Outlook (not to be confused with OutlookExpress) to be the most competent of all; as its user interface is a shoe-in; if you are a committed WindowsOS user.To summarize (even if I was not asked), I use:*FastMail.fm (to die for if you want to spend for the upgraded memberships), *Outlook (for my DSL POP3/SMTP mail), *Mozilla ThunderBird (for old Yahoo accounts), and*OutlookExpress (as a spam catcher for 2 very old HotMail accounts).Your mileage may vary with Linux.

I know this is a wee-bit :offtopic: from the original post, but I thought it follows inline with some of the fringe replies herein:------------------------------------------------------------I was minding my own business and reading some noteworthy tips from a newsletter I get at http://www.davescomputertips.com/ {you may wish to subscribe!}"Dave" had a discussion about:

... I came across Leo Notenboom's website, www.ask-leo.com, recently. Leo has a great deal of useful information. Definitely worth a look.
So, like a good little ping-pong ball that I am, I browsed on over to http://ask-leo.com/ and someone had asked him the question:
... How do I move all my Hotmail folders to my computer or external hard drive? Do I have to do each file/email individually? Or is there a way to save them all quickly.
Part of his answer included an extension for Mozilla-ThunderBird. And, I, as a normal ping-pong ball, followed the thread that had this to say {... partial extract}:
... If you run Thunderbird as your email client, there's a webmail extension that allows you to download and send email through your webmail accounts, including Hotmail {and YahooMail, and few webmail clients}. ... The Webmail extension integrates web site based email accounts in to Mozllia Thunderbird, this allows Thunderbird to download and to send emails using the web site.... It appears to be a fine solution. I trust it more than the previously noted similar solutions because it's coming from a source I trust: mozdev.org. Not that everything there is somehow beyond reproach, but it is public, and open to peer and consumer scrutiny and gives me a slightly higher level of confidence that it's at least not some kind of scam.
Of course, the ping-pong ball me, had to bounce all over the place and finally came up with these two links that maybe of relevance to this topic:#1 and #2Then, this ping-pong ball continued bouncing around in my system to confirm that this Webmail extension (and the extensions to this extension for YahooMail and HotMail) would actually work before recommending it to anyone! Bunch of more ping-pong ball bounces later, it was confirmed that WebMail extension DOES indeed work for Mozilla ThunderBird, before bouncing to SFNL::Forums to bounce around some more to find this topic again to post this reply for anyone that had dared to read this far!Of course, this Webmail extension is FREEware and you can tip the jar if you catch yourself using it daily!This ping-pong ball has one more bounce remaining before it peters out:
...Currently Yahoo, Hotmail, Lycos (Europe), MailDotCom, Gmail, Libero, and AOL domains are supported.
I hope all this bouncing around was not just for me, and other forum members may get use out this information and this Webmailextension!

I know this is a wee-bit :thumbsup: from the original post, but I thought it follows inline with some of the fringe replies herein:
Don't worry about being off topic in this thread. :hysterical: The beginning topic is long gone. I discovered that my woes with my schoolcomputer were because of a severely fragged drive (bad teacher. :'( ) I guess I have lived in the land of Mac and Linux so long I did not think about defragging my drive. Then again, I discovered I was running out of space so this computer is going to a student desktop after I clean it up and I will use one of the newer computers. Speaking of pinging..... and :thumbsup: did you see in the paper where the guy lost in the forest had his family found because he managed to ping on his cell phone? Now if they can find him..... :huh: I'm still using Firefox at work and resigned myself that it will never be as fast as Safari but the addons make it worth while. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Given that I had included a post (#68) concerning an issue with Firefox 2.0;I would like to add that the problem has been solved. Again the issue beingmy inability to click on an individual email in Yahoo mail and have the contentsappear as opposed to only the header of the email.I methodically disabled each extension until I was able to identify the'NoScript' as the offending extension. I can now access my emails inYahoo mail using Firefox 2.0. I will make an attempt to contact the author of this extension, and hopefully he/she can make an adjustment?Hopefully someone else can use this information. :(

I methodically disabled each extension until I was able to identify the 'NoScript' as the offending extension.
I had a missing icon problem with 'NoScript' extension but I was able to go back to a previous version here. 'NoScript' is a "MUST HAVE" extension. Although I had resolved my problems to "NoScript" as you have; I found out that it was an interaction of multiple icons attempting to occupy the same FF statusbar location (lower right corner)! Of course, your answer is going to be different but creating a new profile (UserAccount via ...\firefox.exe -p) and ONLY installing NoScript maybe a good test by itself! Let us know! I briefly checked and I don't see an alternative to 'NoScript' extension!

Thanks for your post rpiz. I've been trying to figure out for awhile why Yahoo is broken on some computers but not others! Apparently there is more at work than no script. I have it installed on ALL computers. On two computers Yahoo works perfectly (FF 2, 2K and FF1.5.8, 98SE). On the other computers, both with FF 1.5.0.8 and no script, yahoo is broken on 2k, another 2K and ME. I thought maybe FF1.5 was the problem but yahoo did work earlier.I'll now try and update the offending computers and see if my email problem is gone. I've been bothering Yahoo support by email, sending screenshots for about a week. I gave them all the info on my computers so they might figure out something because I was stuck.

YahooMail is a bit like AOL to me: When I want to get my mail, I really don't want to be burdened with all that advertisement fluff! I have learned to adapt to Mozilla ThunderBird with WebMail extension to retrieve my YahooMail. :wacko:

Liz;You may want to work through the following diagnostic page from Mozilla site; because it may resolve the issues that you encounterwith the different OS's???http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29Good luck.Gary and RandomBox;Yes indeed I would like to keep 'NoScript' but I'll need somesort of solution that will not interfere with other aspects ofmy Firefox 2.0 browser. I may just try to reinstall 'NoScript'again and test to see if the problem comes back?? :wacko:

Liz;You may want to work through the following diagnostic page from Mozilla site; because it may resolve the issues that you encounterwith the different OS's???http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_%28Firefox%29Good luck.Gary and RandomBox;Yes indeed I would like to keep 'NoScript' but I'll need somesort of solution that will not interfere with other aspects ofmy Firefox 2.0 browser. I may just try to reinstall 'NoScript'again and test to see if the problem comes back?? :wacko:
On sites that I trust, I just allow JavaScript. Sites such as this one.

1. I allow javascript on yahoo - so no script isn't the problem2. I developed the problem in FF 1.5.0.8; I never had a problem with FF 2.3. My FF 2 was updated to 2.0.1 today and yahoo email still works.4. I see NO ADS on yahoo; AdMuncher is the best, IMHO, piece of software I own. It blocks what I want and allows me to see what I need to with very little interaction from me.5. I'll check out that link. Problem is, on one 2K it works, on another it doesn't - which isn't real logical considering that I have the same security software and extensions on all 2K computers. One piece of software I do run on one of the 2K installs is a beta of CounterSpy v2. That's how I noticed the proble. CS sends me emails to my yahoo address with a download link for the newest database or a new build. I can't see the email so can't use the download link. But it isn't CS because it hasn't touched the other 2K computers - one of which yahoo works and the other it is broken. So I can't really say it is a problem with 2K.I also see ME as related to 98. On 98 it works, on ME it is broken. Final note: if I can figure out what is different about the two computers it works on, you all will be the first to know because I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem.

It took me awhile to figure this one out. Although I have javascript allowed, it isn't quite enough to get email working. Click on the noscript status bar icon and select "options". In the general tab, add mail.yahoo.com That's it. All my email is visible in both versions of FF 1.5.0.9 and 2.0.1 in 2K, ME and 98SE on 4 different computers.