I'm Giving Up Firefox

teacher

Just another satisfied user of Opera, and another person happy to let others test the latest and greatest. I use Opera mainly for its speed with my dialup, but it takes care of my modest needs.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gary

• teacher

• RandomBox

• zlim

Top Posters In This Topic

I have run the trunk builds on a regular basis. Scot I have been testing this on a couple of computers. My school computer has a lot of software on it that I use on a regular basis such as my smart board and Dragon Dictate. Both are memory hogs but with 1GB of RAM (that's a big step up for school computers) I should be able to have them open in the background in XP and be able to work. This morning I turned on my computer. Dragon is not open yet. The smart board comes up but is not running. I started firefox which opens to the USA Today puzzle. I then immediately click on the Sudoku, QuickCross, Up and Down and all the puzzles there in new tabs as I do every morning. I then opened IE7. I did the same thing in IE7. In IE7 I have gone to each tab and printed all the puzzles for the teachers. Firefox is still waiting to load. :teehee: This is one site in particular that I have noticed Firefox seems to be a bit slow. Perhaps I should go back to the old method of completely removing firefox before reinstalling? Thoughts?Thanks to all those who have kept it on topic and resisted the urge to throw barbs at others. ;)

I should go back to the old method of completely removing firefox before reinstalling? Thoughts?
I always do that. I have from the beginning. I save my extension using Mr Techs Local Install and the entire process only takes about ~30 minutes. I forgot to back up my bookmarks once and that turned out to be a hassle.As with OS's , I prefer a clean install.

I do find it strange that Mozilla released Fx 2 and is still going to release Fx 1.5.0.8 later this month.
As I understand it, it will be to update the update mechanism, so 2.0 will show as an available update to 1.5 users. :P Adam

Julia, have you tried opening FF in safe mode? Is it still painfully slow? If not, then I would think that an extension is to blame.My computer only has 1 Gig of RAM (2K) and I don't notice memory leaks nor slowdowns except on one computer. That computer has CounterSpy v2 beta on it (also 2K) and I think that is what is causing my slowdown there.

Safe mode would not do much for the different OS's I play with. I did discover I had a start menu link to the old version and one to the new version. At this point I would not swear which one caused my melt down. I deleted the old bookmark and played with my test base. The largest test I added today was only about 30 questions. The only problem I had was some strange selections with Dragon when I would have it correct a word choice. I have noticed that in Firefox only (no other program on my computer) it gets off a few characters sometimes in selecting words to replace. I really am playing with it still. I am also playing with Opera again, but mainly waiting to see what their new release looks like. Even when I was sure I was in the new version I had spinning logos for loading pages that would not quit. I think it has something to do with scripts on the pages. I have noted on my Mac that if I use it the Firefox logo bounces back and forth like the Mac error message when I am off multi-tasking. That concerns me because it should not be doing a thing. I really want to know what is going on then. I don't have any autoupdates or anything that should be using it.

Just a few thoughts ...Gary, there's a whole ZDNet Blog from Adrian Kingsley Hughs from a few days ago (last week?) where he was saying Firefox 2.0 is a Dud, and one of his main points was that it does NOT run well on Vista.Like no other application, I can remember, Firefox users have widely diverging experiences. I have installed FF2 on several Vista machines, on several Macs, on several XP machines, and the experience is the same, the same, the same. I run the same extensions on all these machines too.I really have to suggest to everyone to follow the advice someone gave of using Firefox Safe Mode. That turns off your extensions and themes. It's the best way to test when you're having problems.Also, I usu. install by uninstalling the previous version, but not removing my previous profile (unless there's a reason to). But with 2.0, I even did some upgrade installs because it seemed so stable.I'm just having zero problems. Even on 1GB machines.I think the thing is, the diverging experiences are just the norm with Firefox. That was definitely, definitely true of FF 1.5, where I received hundreds and hundreds of messages from people having issues.-- Scot

Just a few thoughts ...Gary, there's a whole ZDNet Blog from Adrian Kingsley Hughs from a few days ago (last week?) where he was saying Firefox 2.0 is a Dud, and one of his main points was that it does NOT run well on Vista.Like no other application, I can remember, Firefox users have widely diverging experiences. I have installed FF2 on several Vista machines, on several Macs, on several XP machines, and the experience is the same, the same, the same. I run the same extensions on all these machines too.I really have to suggest to everyone to follow the advice someone gave of using Firefox Safe Mode. That turns off your extensions and themes. It's the best way to test when you're having problems.Also, I usu. install by uninstalling the previous version, but not removing my previous profile (unless there's a reason to). But with 2.0, I even did some upgrade installs because it seemed so stable.I'm just having zero problems. Even on 1GB machines.I think the thing is, the diverging experiences are just the norm with Firefox. That was definitely, definitely true of FF 1.5, where I received hundreds and hundreds of messages from people having issues.-- Scot
Yes I read that also Scot. It seems that Rons and Myself are two of the lucky ones. Just like you we are not having problems with Fx 2 in Vista. Edited by Gary

This morning I started Firefox in Safe Mode. I opened the USA Today puzzle and then used the right click to open the other four puzzles. Then I went to IE7 and did the same thing. I printed the five puzzles in IE, went and took the copies to the cafeteria, made coffee and return to find the pages "Transferring data from css.usatoday.com!That takes care of any extensions or plug ins. :thumbsup: I completely uninstalled Firefox. I reinstalled Firefox. I wen tthrough the same procedure. It does the same thing. Pages sit waiting for css. or js.usatoday.com. The js.usatoday.com seems to run faster than the css.usatoday.com. As of right now only two of the pages have loaded while I typed this. :blink:This does not work well for me...... I will test it a bit more. This is on a Dell 260 with 1GB of RAM over a cat5 connection to our server. Since the IE7 works fine and is quick I will assume it is not the connection.

Does this only occur at school? Could your schools network have anything to do with it?
I doubt the network has anything to do with it. It could, however, be something with Novell and Firefox.I tried the USA Today web sites at home and they fired right up. That is on my MacBook Pro with the 2.0 release.I am baffled at this point. I suspect it has something to do with the way different programs interact with it. It had no problem at home with ichat, Xchat, and mail open at the same time on my Mac. It does not have any external devices connected though.The school tower comes complete with sound system, projector, smart board, DragonDictate, Novell, and server based censors (Light Speed).

I am baffled at this point. I suspect it has something to do with the way different programs interact with it. It had no problem at home with ichat, Xchat, and mail open at the same time on my Mac. It does not have any external devices connected though.
That is why I question your network. Does your school PC go through a server before it hits the NET?

Why is mozilla supporting two different versions? Must everything they do be confusing?
Good Question?Fx 1.5.0.8 will only be supported thru 4/2007. Edited by Gary

Why is mozilla supporting two different versions? Must everything they do be confusing?
As I understand it...... 1.5.0.8 is only updating the updater, so the upgrade to 2.0 will be smooth.Adam

What's New in Firefox 1.5.0.8Firefox 1.5.0.8 is a security and stability update that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our customers. We recommend that all Firefox 1.5.0.x users upgrade to this latest version. * Improvements to product stability * Several security fixesRelease Date: November 7, 2006Note: Firefox 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until April 24, 2007. All users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to Firefox 2.
SOURCE

Teacher/Julia,I did not quite understand your original trepidation about possible flame wars. :thumbsup: But no matter! I think it is simply great that , thus far, you have had over 40 replies attempting to help out.Of course, I must put my 2cents worth as well (and hopefully without any flames).----------------------------*I hope it is not too late to suggest that maybe you can create a New User profile (firefox.exe -p) during FireFoxV2 boot, before attempting to blow FF off of your system and go for a NEW install.*I would also like to recommend that you back up the present user account (User Profile) folder that contains all of your BookMarks, passwords, etc. At a minimum, backup the following:

Profiles are stored at %APPDATA%/mozilla/firefoxBackup the following files from current User profile: bookmarks.html << bookmarks user.js and prefs.js << preferences cookies.txt and cookperm.txt (or the newer hostperm.1) << cookies signon.txt and key3.db << passwords history.dat, and formhistory.dat{06/04}
There are a few utilities for FireFox that will allow you to back up such data automatically.--------------------------*Additionally, if your present problem is a persistent one (w/o resolution), then may I suggest that you give Maxthon a try. It supposed to use IE7 shell but in a different GUI (and with some added features)?*Furthermore, systematically disabling each extension (Add-ons) that you have installed in your FireFox2, may clue you on the source of this problem.*As a side-note, you may wish to get yourself an extension that will save your session, when FireFox goes kerblamo! That way, your session and all of the tabs that you had open can be recreated during next launch of FF. I used to use an extension called TBE; which is no longer compatible with FF at version2.0 level, that readily allowed you to save your present browsing session(s) at will. As a replacement/substitute, you can install TabMix Plus that may allow you such functionality but requires you to customize it via its Option menu.*I would not dare suggest that you try out Portable FireFox as a substitute! :(----------------------------Keep the FireFox faith!

Too late to tell me not to go for a new install. I've already done that. I did a clean install. I really did not care about all my history and that sort of data. It's no biggie at work. I can port bookmarks back and forth easily.I did go in and look at the Admin tools on my computer at work and I have an error message on the logs about an group service policy. I emailed the head tech guy and asked him if he could figure out what service policy is causing error messages. Perhaps I can get him to remove the service policies other than the ones required by law such as content filtering (all schools and libraries must do this).I suspect that my crashes are a problem of the programs installed - something is causing the problem. Since I just had the SmartBoard software installed it could be something with it. It could be something with Dragon that interfers with the new version. That is a mystery I will have to solve.The biggest concern now is the difference in load times. I am home and I just tried on my Mac to pull up the forum in Firefox. After a few seconds I opened Safari and went right in. The firefox was still spinning after I had switched from the forum home to this thread.I don't see Portable as a solution. Running in safe mode disabled all extensions and I still had the same load problems so I don't think it is any extension or add-on. I don't run with that many. I'm trying to take a look at Maxthon. As far as saving sessions, I'm not concerned about what I have opened but what I have typed in....Maxthon is Windows only. :thumbsup:

Julia, a little question ...Did you ever try to print something in FF 2.0 ?Like for ex. an overview of a bank account which uses https ?

Julia, a little question ...Did you ever try to print something in FF 2.0 ?Like for ex. an overview of a bank account which uses https ?
Not a bank account but I am sure i have probably printed out an order receipt or something but not at work. I don't order anything or check banking at work. I can't think of anything that would have been https there. Is there a bug with that?GaryThe built in does not appear to include forms mostly filled out. :(The good news is I have all my test quetions done for three classes and now have time to work on the 4th for next semester. I have printed things that are not https though.

FWIW: Fx 2.0 has a built in session saver.
OffTopic >> Are you sure that it is built-in? I can't seem to locate it anywhere. You can call me ignoramous (and I won't consider it flaming) but only if you tell me where this feature is hidden. I know there is an extension (not fully FFv2.0 compatible) for saving sessions but ... It seems I really got spoiled by TabBrowserExtension that is no longer compatible with FFv2.0 that I miss so dearly! Edited by RandomBox

It is suppose to work by magic I think:

Resuming your browsing session: The Session Restore feature restores windows, tabs, text typed in forms, and in-progress downloads from the last user session. It will be activated automatically when installing an application update or extension, and users will be asked if they want to resume their previous session after a system crash.
It does not work by magic for me.... I have not seen it yet.

OffTopic >> Are you sure that it is built-in? I can't seem to locate it anywhere. You can call me ignoramous (and I won't consider it flaming) but only if you tell me where this feature is hidden. I know there is an extension (not fully FFv2.0 compatible) for saving sessions but ... It seems I really got spoiled by TabBrowserExtension that is no longer compatible with FFv2.0 that I miss so dearly!
ss-1.pnghttp://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/When you go to install Tab Mix Plus , you are asked if you would rather use the built in session saver or the one that comes with TMP. I chose the buit in. TBE is about done as an extension.Sorry Julia , this does not help your problem but..... Edited by Gary

:hmm: Oh Good, I am not such an ignoramous as I had thought!You are talking about SessionRestore upon a crash, not a SessionSaver that you can use at will! :offtopic:
If you have it set to save tabs and windows from last time. It does so when you close the browser. There also is a session manager Icon that you can use. When you close the browser you are in fact closing a session.209155.gifBut that is actually part of the TMP ext. The session manager. Edited by Gary

I have looked at that setting in the past and that is not something I would want set. I want my browser to oepn with my home page, not with whatever I had last - unless for some strange reason it was a crash.....Meanwhile....

I have looked at that setting in the past and that is not something I would want set. I want my browser to oepn with my home page, not with whatever I had last - unless for some strange reason it was a crash.....Meanwhile....
Yes I know, I don't use it either.