What is my router's WAN address?

lewmur

Is there any way, other than by using a browser to open the router's admin page, to determine what its current WAN address is? Or does this differ with every brand of router?I know there are standard "AT" commands to query info from modems. Is there any such for querying routers?

Edited by lewmur

You mean your WAN (Internet address?)If so, you can go to:WhatIsMyIPAddressFree service automatically determines one's address on the Internet.http://whatismyipaddress.com/
Thanks for the info. That helps but I was really looking for something that I could automate via a VB program to send to another location. I have a business app that I want to automate the update of the database info. The clients don't all have static IP to use to communicate, so I want their application software to check its current IP and send the address to my server application. That way they wouldn't have to have a "live" connection to the server in order for it to send data.But the info you gave me will simplify having them determine their IP address for setting up a VNC connection for remote diagnostics. Edited by lewmur

Thanks for the info. That helps but I was really looking for something that I could automate via a VB program to send to another location. I have a business app that I want to automate the update of the database info. The clients don't all have static IP to use to communicate, so I want their application software to check its current IP and send the address to my server application. That way they wouldn't have to have a "live" connection to the server in order for it to send data.But the info you gave me will simplify having them determine their IP address for setting up a VNC connection for remote diagnostics.
Won't their router block a communication started from your end?Have you considered using something like hamachi VPN to make it easier to do the VNC connection? I have used it pretty successfully. http://www.hamachi.cc/Jim

Thanks for the info. That helps but I was really looking for something that I could automate via a VB program to send to another location. I have a business app that I want to automate the update of the database info. The clients don't all have static IP to use to communicate, so I want their application software to check its current IP and send the address to my server application. That way they wouldn't have to have a "live" connection to the server in order for it to send data.But the info you gave me will simplify having them determine their IP address for setting up a VNC connection for remote diagnostics.
Have them setup their routers to use Dynamic DNS. Dyn. DNS is basically an automated and continuously-updated DNS server so that you can always use the same domain name for a router without having to check its IP all the time. Only one domain name to remember per router :whistling:
Won't their router block a communication started from your end?
Yes, it will. He'll need to have them open up the appropriate ports on their routers. Edited by epp_b

Have them setup their routers to use Dynamic DNS. Dyn. DNS is basically an automated and continuously-updated DNS server so that you can always use the same domain name for a router without having to check its IP all the time. Only one domain name to remember per router :)Yes, it will. He'll need to have them open up the appropriate ports on their routers.
Thanks. I'll give this a try. And the router ports are no problem because I can set them up when installing the application. I just don't want the end user to have to worry about learning "computer stuff." B)