Windows Defender Released!

James M. Fisher

James M. Fisher
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx :banana: "Windows Defender is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected and minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive. Now with 2 free support incidents for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003."

:hmm:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...re/default.mspx :banana: "Windows Defender is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected and minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive. Now with 2 free support incidents for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003."
Hmm???? So we let M$ "bundle" free "security software" with their OS and have them take over the market like they did the browser market. This, of course, dries up the market for other providers and they go out of business. Now we have no one but M$ and the "bad gurys" testing for security holes in the OS. Sure sounds like a winner to me. :D Edited by lewmur

It is not bundled with XP. Not sure about Vista though. I don't remembeer anything mentioning it being bundled there either.

It is not bundled with XP. Not sure about Vista though. I don't remembeer anything mentioning it being bundled there either.
I guess that depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. You can refuse to let it d/l when you use M$ Updates, but it isn't easy. You might say that if it doesn't install with the installation disk, then it isn't really "bundled." But that doesn't change the outcome. So long as M$ is offering *businesses* a free versions of what professional security co.s are charging for, then the RESULT is the same. You drive everyone else out of the business and leave the fox guarding the hen house.

James M. Fisher
Defender is integrated in Vista. I'm not sure if it can be removed or disabled. I'm beta-testing One Care, so I cannot confirm that.

I guess that depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. You can refuse to let it d/l when you use M$ Updates, but it isn't easy. You might say that if it doesn't install with the installation disk, then it isn't really "bundled." But that doesn't change the outcome. So long as M$ is offering *businesses* a free versions of what professional security co.s are charging for, then the RESULT is the same. You drive everyone else out of the business and leave the fox guarding the hen house.
There are other freely availble anti-spyware progeams out there. Defender is not the only one. I certainly would not want to pay for Defender, which is obviously the needed result after the ActiveX debacle, and all the problems with drive-by downloads.I just finished setting up my sister's new computer, and Defender was not even mentioned in the Windows Updates. If you have it installed, you will get updates via Windows Updates, but you are not forced to have it on your machine if you don't want it. Obviously, this is all with XP.

Guest LilBambi

Quick note about the Windows Defender update when clicking on the Download button in the previous version of Windows Defender, and using alternative browsers as default browser.You generally will need to copy and paste the URL that opens in your default browser to Internet Explorer to get the 'validation' taken care of prior to being allowed to download the updated Windows Defender.Not sure if this is true if you have the 'ie faker' plugin for Firefox since I don't use it.

There are other freely availble anti-spyware progeams out there. Defender is not the only one. I certainly would not want to pay for Defender, which is obviously the needed result after the ActiveX debacle, and all the problems with drive-by downloads.I just finished setting up my sister's new computer, and Defender was not even mentioned in the Windows Updates. If you have it installed, you will get updates via Windows Updates, but you are not forced to have it on your machine if you don't want it. Obviously, this is all with XP.
The problem is still that** with their vast resources, can drive other vendors out of the market. And, considering the importance of security, that should NOT be allowed. It should be considered a violation of anti-trust laws in EVERY country. M$ should not be allowed to even produce products in the security field, let alone dominate it.

They don't...McAfee and Symantec have been crying up a pitiful storm on what MS is doing in Vista and at the same time Sophos and Kaspersky Labs have been singing a completely tune.NO company ever got anywhere whining. You clearly don't have a clue about Microsoft and how they feed the market. They place many items of low feature functionality in products that allow others to come along a build on top of that with their own specialized products. Take back-up software for example... Has MS killed that market off because they include a low featured backup app? Has MS locked companies out of making tools for Active Directory? You just don't get the eco system MS has created.You really cares if MS release Windows Defender? Folks will read reviews or listen to your nonsense and install whatever they want. Those who hate MS will use something entirely different so why should you care one way or the other?Look at the fragmentation products available? You must really hate Windows Paint... That program alone has nearly killed Adobe off. (sic)I'm so happy you hate MS... they don't need nor want your business...

lewmur, Windows Defender is not antivirus or firewall software. It is an anti-malware software. IMO, it is completely unrelated to the security of Microsoft Windows. Rather, it is a tool for use in cleaning up the results of either sloppy surfing (read unpatched systems) or downloading and installing infected software (i.e., the codec frauds people fall prey to). As with the Windows Firewall that is included with XP, Windows Defender can be disabled. However, just as an antivirus software or other anti-malware software, it is only as good as its definitions. Some are better than others, some are updated more frequently than others. Some infections can be easily removed and others require special tools. Will Windows Defender provide competition to companies such as Lavasoft? Indeed. Why should someone pay Lavasoft for real-time monitoring with Ad-Watch when they can get it free with Windows Defender? People who prefer Ad-Watch will continue renewing their subscription just as people elect to use a different firewall.Then again, there are those who prefer a different operating system. Those people may wish to purchase a software program that provides real-time monitoring. The vendors that provide the best product will survive.

They don't...McAfee and Symantec have been crying up a pitiful storm on what MS is doing in Vista and at the same time Sophos and Kaspersky Labs have been singing a completely tune.NO company ever got anywhere whining. You clearly don't have a clue about Microsoft and how they feed the market. They place many items of low feature functionality in products that allow others to come along a build on top of that with their own specialized products. Take back-up software for example... Has MS killed that market off because they include a low featured backup app? Has MS locked companies out of making tools for Active Directory? You just don't get the eco system MS has created.You really cares if MS release Windows Defender? Folks will read reviews or listen to your nonsense and install whatever they want. Those who hate MS will use something entirely different so why should you care one way or the other?Look at the fragmentation products available? You must really hate Windows Paint... That program alone has nearly killed Adobe off. (sic)I'm so happy you hate MS... they don't need nor want your business...
You are comparing MS Paint with Adobe Photoshop? B) :yes: LINK
I'm so happy you hate MS... they don't need nor want your business...
I am sure that the MS Stockholders love that kind of advice. Edited by Gary

lewmur, Windows Defender is not antivirus or firewall software. It is an anti-malware software. IMO, it is completely unrelated to the security of Microsoft Windows
Malware is malware. If ridding a computer of trojans and rootkits doesn't fall under the heading of "security software" then maybe we ought to re-examine the meaning of the word "is" again. Edited by lewmur

Microsoft owes it to users to provide the software that will protect them from malicious people who exploit built-in vulnerabilities of Windows, and for free. To help provide alternatives, they should also financially and technically support security software developers who offer free versions for home, public service and educational use. Finally, they should be funding projects to educate users about Windows and security, and programs to crackdown on people who create or who distribute malware. Simply leaving users to the mercy of either the malware people or Symantec, McAfee and TrendMicro, as a consequence of shipping a vulnerable operating system, is being unconscionably irresponsible.

I'm so happy you hate MS... they don't need nor want your business...
Sure Mars, just dismiss all the logical arguemants I post and pretend it's all because of an unreasoning hatred of** As it happens, I've disapproved of AT&T long before M$ came along. I happen to believe in anti-trust laws and that defacto monopolies shouldn't be given govt protection.

I am sure that the MS Stockholders love that kind of advice.
Being myself an MS share holder since 1989; 1, 10, 1000 or millions makes no real differnece in the big picture now does it? So run off and play with all your free software and guess what? The billions keep pouring in every quarter and ALL the anti MS sentiment found here on this forum and elsewhere won't stop that from happening any time soon.

Please see this thread: hereIt is applicable to all of the product-bashing that is evident from both sides; that is anti-Microsoft as well as pro-Microsoft.Criticism is one thing but I personally find the amount of product bashing* on this site not only unnecessary and unprofessional, but highly childish.*(that includes your signature Marsden and lewmur's "re-examine the meaning of the word "is" again" -- whatever that means)

Please see this thread: hereIt is applicable to all of the product-bashing that is evident from both sides; that is anti-Microsoft as well as pro-Microsoft.Criticism is one thing but I personally find the amount of product bashing* on this site not only unnecessary and unprofessional, but highly childish.*(that includes your signature Marsden and lewmur's "re-examine the meaning of the word "is" again" -- whatever that means)<This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty, and confers no rights. The above comments reflect my personal opinion and are not to be construed as a reflection of the opinion of Scot or other members of the Mod/Admin Team.>
I think my reference to "is" should be self-evident. It refers to quibbling about exact definitions when they have no bearing on the central argument. And I'm sorry if you think my taking M$ to task is "unprofessional." But I don't really care. I think that opposing their monopolistic practices is *much* more important than your opinion of me.BTW, I am not posting in this instance in a "professional" capacity. I'm posting a personal opioion. Not advising someone on a technical issue. Edited by lewmur

James M. Fisher
Criticism is one thing but I personally find the amount of product bashing* on this site not only unnecessary and unprofessional, but highly childish.
I concur. I posted the info about Windows Defender as information, not to garner criticism of Microsoft.

Guest LilBambi

You are more than welcome to continue this discussion in the Water Cooler if you like ... but this topic is about the Windows Defender new version release.If you do not have anything to say specific to the software release itself, please move along or this topic will be closed.Thank you.

All of the copies running in this house are beta 2 v1.1.1347.0. When asked to check for updates, none of them report any available, which seems odd as - way back at the top - James pointed out that this thread is meant to be about a new version. I guess it will appear in Windows Update soon.Meantime, can you guys play nicely?