How to Get Acronis True Image for Free

mhbell

Acronis is giving away an older version (V7) of its imaging program. V7 may not have the fancy features of the latest version but it's still a great product. I used it myself todayand it works great for linux or windows. It can't backup to DVD But you can backup a partition to to another partition on the hard drive or to CD's. It's a totally usable product. The only downside here is you have to register to get a serial number. But it is Free. It is for win98 and later. 21.3MB. after you register go to the web site and log in then go to my profile and then registered products and download the Free Acronis Version 7 also the version 7 update. It is also great for cloning a HD to another Hard Drive.Mel :lol: Go Here to Register

Edited by mhbell

Great, Thanks! Just in time too, I have a Fedora server that I need to image to a new drive. Hope this will work for Linux distros better than ghost.

Um...yeah, so I've got a serial number now, but...where do I download the application?
After you login click on My Account (upper right hand corner) Under My Account you will see Registered Products listed on the left hand colum. Click on Acronis True Image 7 and the list of files available for download are there. I downloaded the "Last available update: build #638, 2004-10-01. Get update." Click on Get Update to download the file..I'll install today and let you know how it works.

Idiot question here...does mklivecd work in any distro?I used that to "ghost" my PCLos install to a CD or DVD and I was able to install it on a different computer. For me, it was almost foolproof and required no additional software to be added.

Idiot question here...does mklivecd work in any distro?I used that to "ghost" my PCLos install to a CD or DVD and I was able to install it on a different computer. For me, it was almost foolproof and required no additional software to be added.
Nope Liz . . . it only works on the distro that includes the mklivecd script . . . and as far as I know only PCLos, Mandriva2007 and Debian has it. ( In Mandriva available in the Contrib source, the Debian package is Here )B) Bruno

Um...yeah, so I've got a serial number now, but...where do I download the application? B)
Just like I said in the original post.Mel :drooling:
after you register go to the web site and log in then go to my profile and then registered products and download the Free Acronis Version 7 also the version 7 update. It is also great for cloning a HD to another Hard Drive.

I did the install and when asked created a bootable CD. The bootable CD worked to image the old drive to the new drive on a Fedora Core 4 server. I used tthe automatic settings and it worked great. It did give me a notice saying I would have to fix the MBR but the new drive booted, no problem.

Well, I don't know if ver. 7 works with external USB hard drives; 8 and 9 did, but I have used 9 for a year now with excellent results. Beats the old Drive Image (which Symantec bought and killed) all hollow. I have used ver. 9 with both internal slaves, as well as external USB drives. And ver. 9 certainly sees Linux partitions. However, as with any of these backup programs, before you do a restore, make sure you have an emergency boot disk to get back in and fix lilo in your MBR!Bill

• 5 months later...