1 RAM chip or 2 (dual-channel)?

telecomguy9

I have a choice to make - should I get a single 1 GB RAM chip or go with 2 512 MB RAM chips and take advantage of dual channel. Is there any benefit to doing this? I can't go with 2 GB RAM in a dual channel config as I can't afford it right now. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the quick reply, Gary. Would there be any performance benefit for using 2 sticks, or any benefit at all besides the one you mentioned?

Thanks for the quick reply, Gary. Would there be any performance benefit for using 2 sticks, or any benefit at all besides the one you mentioned?
Not that I am aware of.You might want to check THIS site out for further info. Edited by Gary

If your board supports Dual Channel RAM, by all means get a matched pair of 521MB sticks and run the dual channel. There is a definite performance gain with dual channel! I know this from experience.Good Luck,Rodger

If your board supports Dual Channel RAM, by all means get a matched pair of 521MB sticks and run the dual channel. There is a definite performance gain with dual channel! I know this from experience.Good Luck,Rodger
Thanks Rodger , I was not 100% sure on that. :thumbsup:

If you are really after 2gig ... for future proofing from Vista then get one now and another later when funds permit.However, it is highly recommended you get a "matched" pair ... that again is up-to you.Using someone like crucial I would not hesitate in getting one stick now, and one later on ... I ain't rich either.Don't get caught up in market hype about "dual-channel memory", there is no such memory ... it does not exist ... yes, there are motherboard that can make use of two sticks of memory at the same time, dual-channel MBs are a De facto these days.I have never had any problem by NOT buying a 'matched' pair, but I do not skimp on who's memory ... your mileage may vary depending on the MB. :thumbsup:

Edited by muckshifter