Optimal Partitioning

teacher

fdisk /mbr does the following:It rewrites the mbr to the default Microsoft code that allows any Windows operating system to boot properly. In other words, when you install LILO or GRUB, Linux writes the LILO or GRUB bootloader code in the first sector of the hard disk. This code allows LILO, GRUB, or Microsoft to boot an operating system listed in the editable partition table. fdisk /mbr does not wipe out the partition setup but only changes the actual code that does the booting.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Quint,Wait a minute, you´re not going to tell us that you bookmarked the tip to wipe all your Linux-distro´s and reinstall Windows, and restore the MBR to Windows, are you ? HELP ! What did I do ?? Everybody is dumping Linux B) :lol: B) :D Bruno

Hey Quint,Wait a minute, you´re not going to tell us that you bookmarked the tip to wipe all your Linux-distro´s and reinstall Windows, and restore the MBR to Windows, are you ?  HELP ! What did I do ?? Everybody is dumping Linux :lol:  :D  B) B) Bruno
Hi Bruno,No, no, no, my friend...was referring to the partitioning schemes, sizes, explanations, etc. :( No longer even have Windows, on this computer; am currently "revamping" the bootloader to include all my "keepers", and this thread is helping me to decide partition arrangement. Do believe I won't be supporting MS any longer, in any way - strangely, it feels as though have been set free! :( B) B)

That is a relief, Quint ! B) I was really worried for a moment that you had a sudden loss of sanity . . . . . :D B) B) :lol: Bruno

That is a relief, Quint ! :lol: I was really worried for a moment that you had a sudden loss of sanity . . . . .  :D  B)  B) B) Bruno
Not a shot. B) :( not-insane.jpg :(

Okay, now I know how to wipe out Linux on hubby's soon to be computer. Now, how do I instead, go about changing it to default load into W so I can play in Linux if I want to? Is that even possible? There should be a way to edit it to change what the first thing is or am I crazy? On second thought, don't answer the last half of that question!

JuliaJust make a bootdisk for Linux and resore the MBR then to Windows, that way he can only boot Windows and you can boot Linux with the floppy ! Simple and clean cut !:unsure: Bruno

It sounds too easy. I have not had any success with floppies and Linux. It never likes them. Not that I ever use the floppy for anything these days.

JuliaTake a Windows floppy, written or not, does not matter, and go to the MCC, there in the bootsection you can make a bootdisk easy as pie . . . after that just try the floppy if it really works . . . . just to be sure !:unsure: Bruno

I don't know why it liked my disk this time and not the last time I tried it. I don't think I did a single thing different!

You would find some other foolish Penguin to help you ! With your charm how could any penguin resist . . . . . :unsure: Bruno

Julia,Your Handspring Visor looks like a good project ! After all the info I send you, you should be well able to get that one hacked, just let us know when it works . . :unsure: Bruno

Yep, time to get serious now . . . . . get reading, the last info I send you was the best ;)We´ll see you back when you´ve got the problem solved . . . ! :unsure: :wacko: Bruno

I guess you won't see me back for a while then!!!! My motherboard or something does not like this software....j

Giving up already ??? I just send you some new links to interesting software for your visor. . . . . ;)Back to work, Julia !:unsure: Bruno

That´s better, JuliaIf things do not work right away in Linux, you´re supposed to do research, try again, change scripts, look for alternatives, etc. etc. After two or three weeks of tinkering and still no progress, only then you are allowed to give up and conclude that it simply does not work.Giving up after half an hour of plugging the Handspring in is just not done :rolleyes: :D :DRome was not build in one day Julia, you as a teacher should know that !:) Bruno

But if it takes 2 or 3 weeks, won't I just be starting all over with my new computer???? :D :rolleyes: :) Maybe I should ask "Has anyone been able to use the Visor Prism in Drake????"

The old computer is nice to experiment on . . we want to keep the new one as clean-cut as possible and not have to much useless files on it from trying to get things to work. This is THE moment to try things out ! ( just make notes so you know how you got there )B) Bruno

But if it takes 2 or 3 weeks, won't I just be starting all over with my new computer???? :o  B)  :o  Maybe I should ask "Has anyone been able to use the Visor Prism in Drake????"
Julia,This is a "start", but the support people at Handspring say to ask the Unix/Linux community: B) Handspring - LinuxWishing you good fortune for a solution. ;)edit: if you get a "timeout" from the link, refresh, and / or try the search again...hope this helps.

Thanks Quint. I think I have worn that page out I have been to it so many times. That and some Linux Visor pages and others. I think I have them all bookmarked. It is doing a little syncing at this point, but now I have to figure out what is the best way to do this. I don't want to lose what I have from my handspring configuration, but I do want to to be able to sync in Linux. I need to figure out at this point a way to export my files from windows and then import them into Kpilot. That is my goal. Will I reach it? Probably, if there is a way it is possible..... B) ....... and if I have friends with a lot of patience with me. B)

Thanks Quint.  I think I have worn that page out I have been to it so many times.  That and some Linux Visor pages and others.  I think I have them all bookmarked.  It is doing a little syncing at this point, but now I have to figure out what is the best way to do this. I don't want to lose what I have from my handspring configuration, but I do want to to be able to sync in Linux.  I need to figure out at this point a way to export my files from windows and then import them into Kpilot.  That is my goal.  Will I reach it?  Probably, if there is a way it is possible..... B) ....... and if I have friends with a lot of patience with me.  :o
Hi Julia, Sorry I could not provide an answer, but I know you will succeed...you never give up - a most admirable quality. B)

I know you will succeed...you never give up - a most admirable quality.
That or I have friends that never give up. B) I won't tell who though. B)