jdbgmgr.exe virus (hoax)

fpat

I have received several warnings from correspondents about this so-called virus. Just to be sure that all was OK, I checked to see that I had the jdbgmgr.exe file on my system. I found that that file was not there, but there was a file named jdbgmgr.vir. Now I don't know if this is a legitimate file, or if the exe file somehow got changed. No one else has access to my computer. I do have a cable connection to the internet running behind Zone Alarm. Any ideas? :(

fpat,I would suspect that someone had renamed your Jdbgmgr.exe file to Jdbgmgr.vir. So far as I know, there's no Jdbgmgr.vir file normally part of Windows. On the other hand, chances are you'll never need your Jdbgmgr.exe file either. So all of this is a lot of blather about nought.I can't tell you how many people I know personally who have been nabbed by this hoax. Many, many people have sent me a hurried email warning me to delete this file on my system ... along with 70 other people ... and invariably before I even see the message, some percentage of those people have killed off this file.Symantec lists this as an April 2002 hoax, but it seems to me that it's been around even longer than that.-- Scot

From what I can tell, the file is only useful if you do any work with Microsoft Visual J++. I found this from symantec.

NOTE: If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe file, in most cases, you do not need to re-install it. The following quote is extracted from the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Virus Hoax: Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) Is Not a Virus (Q322993)."      "The Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) is only used by Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 developers.      If you follow the e-mail message instructions and delete this file, you do not have to recover it unless you use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs on Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95."If you need to restore this file, follow the instructions in "Virus Hoax: Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) Is Not a Virus (Q322993)."