My Continuing Linux Journey

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi EricIs that Fedora 6 you are trying to install ?? Because if it is: remember it is only a first Beta so it will be buggy !Actually the same goes for Etch, also that one is still in heavy development . . . My advise would be: stick to the "stable" versions for the time being . . . it is safer ;):) Bruno

Hi EricIs that Fedora 6 you are trying to install ?? Because if it is: remember it is only a first Beta so it will be buggy !Actually the same goes for Etch, also that one is still in heavy development . . . My advise would be: stick to the "stable" versions for the time being . . . it is safer ;):w00t: Bruno
At least be aware of that Eric. Your computer will thank you. B) I get this mental image of your machine cowering in a corner. :) :w00t: Edited by Frank Golden

V.T. Eric Layton
Hi EricIs that Fedora 6 you are trying to install ?? Because if it is: remember it is only a first Beta so it will be buggy !Actually the same goes for Etch, also that one is still in heavy development . . . My advise would be: stick to the "stable" versions for the time being . . . it is safer ;)B) Bruno
Hi Bruno, As of 14 September, Fedora Core 6 is in "continual freeze"... only critical bugs fixed. This is according to their website. But anyway, no... it's Fedora Core 5 that I'm using on this system. There may be something about this new hardware configuration that it doesn't like. :( I'm playing around with Etch because it's soooo much nicer than Sarge. It's very similar to Ubuntu. I'm not using any of these as my primary Linux OS (that's currently Ubuntu), so them being buggy isn't a critical problem. Actually, Etch is the only "test" release I have on my system right now. The Fedora, OpenSuSE, and Slack are all "release" versions.
At least be aware of that Eric. Your computer will thank you. B) I get this mental image of your machine cowering in a corner. :hysterical: :hysterical:
Maybe if this system chats with the old one and finds out what happened to it, this one will BEHAVE! :angry:

Maybe if this system chats with the old one and finds out what happened to it, this one will BEHAVE! mad.gif
The old one can talk? I thought it was in a coma, at best. B)

V.T. Eric Layton
The old one can talk? I thought it was in a coma, at best. B)
Nah... its memory is not what it used to be. I think it may have a touch of amnesia. However, it does work. One of these days, I'll set it up as a back-up system, so I'll always have something to access the Internet with in case this new system develops any problems. :hysterical:

Hi Eric . . . if it is only Fedora 5 that is giving you headaches . . . . don't worry . . . Fedora is known to give troubles. My test-system did not like Fedora 1 and 3 . . but 2 and 5 ran great . . . . for F4 it was thumbs up and thumbs down. For some people it was the other way around and F1 & 3 were the best.Back in the days when it was RedHat I never had problems running it on the same hardware.B) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
Hi Eric . . . if it is only Fedora 5 that is giving you headaches . . . . don't worry . . . Fedora is known to give troubles. My test-system did not like Fedora 1 and 3 . . but 2 and 5 ran great . . . . for F4 it was thumbs up and thumbs down. For some people it was the other way around and F1 & 3 were the best.Back in the days when it was RedHat I never had problems running it on the same hardware.:happyroll: Bruno
I'll play around with X and see if I can get the mouse to come up. It's not a priority. I'll probably be spending more time in Debian and Slack, anyway. I have Etch on the system now. The install went well this time. :thumbup:

I have Etch on the system now. The install went well this time. :thumbup:
Great news Eric !! . . . . :thumbsup:And about Fedora: there is another thread running at the same time by "Steel" . . he has serious problems installing it as well . . . he is an experienced Linux user ( our Debian guru ) and is ready to give up on Fedora . . . . . click:happyroll: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

About Fedora, Bruno...I found out something odd. I actually do have a mouse, but it's invisible. :icon8: I killed X and reconfigured xorg.conf using Vim from the Command line while logged in as Root. After doing this, I started X from the Command line and the mouse was now visible. However, I was logged in as Root still. When I logged out and back in under my user account, the mouse was invisible again. Strange, huh?

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I'm in Fedora and my mouse is now visible. YAY! :)If anyone else experiences this problem, here's how I fixed it...Add this option to the video card section of xorg.conf:

Option		"HWcursor"	 "false"

Reboot.This fixed it right up for me. It seems that FC5 is having some problems autodetecting certain types of mice in conjunction with newer Nvidia video hardware.Toodles...

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I can't take credit. I'm just good at searching forums. I found that fix on Fedora's forums. ;)I'm in SuSE right now... setting everything up. All's going OK. Last but not least, I'll be playing around in Slack tomorrow. It will take me a bit longer in Slack to get things the way I want them because I'm using KDE in there. That's something completely new for me. I've gotten pretty comfortable with Gnome, but that's not going to help me too much with KDE. I'm sure it's not that complicated, though.I'm off to bed now...Goodnight! :icon8: