My Continuing Linux Journey

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I went ahead and did it...I installed a 250Gig WD drive on IDE0 (master) on my system and partitioned it as follows:hda1 --> 40Gig --> NTFS --> Win_Storagehda2 --> 40Gig --> ext2 --> Lin_Storagehda5 --> 20Gig --> ext3 --> / Debian Sarge 3.1r2hda6 --> 10Gig --> ext3 --> /home Debian Sarge 3.1r2hda7 --> 20Gig --> ext3 --> / Fedora Core 5hda8 --> 10Gig --> ext3 --> /home Fedora Core 5hda9 --> 20Gig --> Reiserfs --> / SuSE 10.0hda10 --> 10Gig --> Reiserfs --> /home SuSE 10.0hda13 --> 2Gig --> Linux Swap --> common swaphda14 --> 20Gig --> ext3 --> unused (possibly for Slackware)hda15 --> 10Gig --> ext3 --> unused (possibly for Slackware)I still have about 40Gig of unallocated space on this gargantuan drive. So much space; so little data. :(Anywho... I'm using Debian's GRUB for all the distros on this drive. It's not my primary boot drive though. However, I just have to hit F11 during POST to get my boot menu and choose this drive if I want to get in here and play with these distros. They're all virgin. I made no modifications at all. All I did was update them after installing. Oh boy! Something to keep me busy the next few weeks (years?)!The first step on all those distros will be to install and configure the Nvidia drivers. I just can't stand the 60Hz flicker. After that, I'll start customizing and playing around with them. In my last incarnation of this set up, I really enjoyed both Debian and Fedora Core. I didn't get much time on SuSE, unfortunately. Maybe I can make up for that now. Sadly, I had a CD of OpenSuSE 10.1 and I forgot about it. Maybe when I'm energetic later this week I'll re-install the O-SuSE 10.1 over the 10.0.Sorry for my absence lately. I was pretty burned out on computers in general after the past couple months' worth of nightmarish troubles. However, with that problem resolved just last week, finally, I took a short computer break. I've only been turning the system on and checking my email for about the past 5 or 6 days. I'm looking forward to playing with my distros now though... even that scary Slackware that I'm planning on installing. ;)Since last Tuesday or so, my system has been cold starting without a glitch for both Windows and Ubuntu. Tomorrow morning's cold start will be the one that truly determines whether or not I get the sledgehammer warmed up or not. Now that I've reinstalled a drive on the IDE, I'm curious to see how Ubuntu cold starts. I'll keep you all posted...~Eric

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I went ahead and did it...I installed a 250Gig WD drive on IDE0 (master) on my system and partitioned it as follows:hda1 --> 40Gig --> NTFS --> Win_Storagehda2 --> 40Gig --> ext2 --> Lin_Storagehda5 --> 20Gig --> ext3 --> / Debian Sarge 3.1r2hda6 --> 10Gig --> ext3 --> /home Debian Sarge 3.1r2hda7 --> 20Gig --> ext3 --> / Fedora Core 5hda8 --> 10Gig --> ext3 --> /home Fedora Core 5hda9 --> 20Gig --> Reiserfs --> / SuSE 10.0hda10 --> 10Gig --> Reiserfs --> /home SuSE 10.0hda13 --> 2Gig --> Linux Swap --> common swaphda14 --> 20Gig --> ext3 --> unused (possibly for Slackware)hda15 --> 10Gig --> ext3 --> unused (possibly for Slackware)I still have about 40Gig of unallocated space on this gargantuan drive. So much space; so little data. :(Anywho... I'm using Debian's GRUB for all the distros on this drive. It's not my primary boot drive though. However, I just have to hit F11 during POST to get my boot menu and choose this drive if I want to get in here and play with these distros. They're all virgin. I made no modifications at all. All I did was update them after installing. Oh boy! Something to keep me busy the next few weeks (years?)!The first step on all those distros will be to install and configure the Nvidia drivers. I just can't stand the 60Hz flicker. After that, I'll start customizing and playing around with them. In my last incarnation of this set up, I really enjoyed both Debian and Fedora Core. I didn't get much time on SuSE, unfortunately. Maybe I can make up for that now. Sadly, I had a CD of OpenSuSE 10.1 and I forgot about it. Maybe when I'm energetic later this week I'll re-install the O-SuSE 10.1 over the 10.0.Sorry for my absence lately. I was pretty burned out on computers in general after the past couple months' worth of nightmarish troubles. However, with that problem resolved just last week, finally, I took a short computer break. I've only been turning the system on and checking my email for about the past 5 or 6 days. I'm looking forward to playing with my distros now though... even that scary Slackware that I'm planning on installing. ;)Since last Tuesday or so, my system has been cold starting without a glitch for both Windows and Ubuntu. Tomorrow morning's cold start will be the one that truly determines whether or not I get the sledgehammer warmed up or not. Now that I've reinstalled a drive on the IDE, I'm curious to see how Ubuntu cold starts. I'll keep you all posted...~Eric
Way to go Eric, I think you're a fast learner. :D

Eric,I'll think you find that Slack is not really that hard to install.... It is not a pretty GUI installer, so you have to be a careful reader. ;)Adam

Tomorrow morning's cold start will be the one that truly determines whether or not I get the sledgehammer warmed up or not. Now that I've reinstalled a drive on the IDE, I'm curious to see how Ubuntu cold starts.

:happyroll: :happyroll: :happyroll: :P :P ;) B) :w00t: :clap:

V.T. Eric Layton

@striker --> Heh! I've had lots of practice installing Linux (and Windows) this past 8 weeks or so. :w00t:@ross549 --> I've done this so many times, Adam, that I'm just about fearless when it comes to partitioning and installing Linux distros. It's been a learning experience, I can tell ya'! :P@Urmas --> WOO-HOO! Cold start went from on to desktop Ubuntu in 58 seconds with NO, I repeat... NO runs, drips, or errors! YIPPEE! Now if I could just hit that lottery! :o

@striker --> Heh! I've had lots of practice installing Linux (and Windows) this past 8 weeks or so. :locked:@ross549 --> I've done this so many times, Adam, that I'm just about fearless when it comes to partitioning and installing Linux distros. It's been a learning experience, I can tell ya'! :)@Urmas --> WOO-HOO! Cold start went from on to desktop Ubuntu in 58 seconds with NO, I repeat... NO runs, drips, or errors! YIPPEE! Now if I could just hit that lottery! :P
:w00t: :o :P

Cold start went from on to desktop Ubuntu in 58 seconds with NO, I repeat... NO runs, drips, or errors! YIPPEE! Now if I could just hit that lottery! ;)
Shoot, I think you did hit the lottery!

Hi Eric, Glad to see you got your enthusiasm back. I mentioned the other day Zenwalk Linux.It is a Slackware based distro. Actually Minislack. I got it installed dual booton my Linux only HDD. Getting to know it.

V.T. Eric Layton

I just finished d-loading and burning Mandriva. I want to get Slackware too, but am a bit confused on what disks I need to d-load and how to install it.

V.T. Eric Layton

AHA! That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I'll d-load them tomorrow. I'll have to re-download Mandriva too. The first d-load/burn would not boot.I'm in Debian Sarge right now trying to remember where I got the testing and unstable repositories the last time, so I can install the newer versions of Firefox and T-bird.Anyway, late here... I'm off to bed!Thanks, Bruno!~Eric

You're welcome Eric !!I think Steel can help you with the testing and unstable repositories for Debian :hmm: ( myself I only run "stable" ):hmm: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Here's a question...How can I install Mandriva and Slackware without destroying my Debian bootloader on the MBR. Also, if I can install those without installing their bootloaders, how can I get the information necessary to modify Debian's bootloader to include them? Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Eric,You will need to install bootloaders, but you do not need to install them to the MBR. You can install them instead to the root partition of the distro. It will be an option at the point that you install the bootloader.You will then have to modify your GRUB menu.lst in Debian to make entries for each of those partitions.;)Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Bruno,I seem to be having a problem mounting my Zip drive in Debian. I installed the initialization script that you created for me in Ubuntu. The node is being created, but the system won't mount the drive. I'm getting "I could not determine the filesystem type, none was specified." :lol: Here's my fstab entry:/dev/hdb4 /media/Zip100 auto rw,user,noauto,sync 0 0 Any ideas? :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I have it as "auto" in Ubuntu, and it works fine there, Adam. I tried vfat in the fstab last night, but it didn't make any difference. :lol: I'll try again right now just to make sure though.Nah... that didn't work, but it does change the error to: "wrong fs, bad option, bad superblock..."---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well, except for a couple quirks and the need to hunt down some better unstable and testing repositories for some of the commercial software, I pretty much have Debian setup the way I want it.Time to move on to Fedora Core... :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I got into Fedora tonight. I configured the desktop my way and did some other minor customizations. I also updated the install completely. I need to open the non-free YUM repos so that I can get some of the same commercial apps that I need for Debian also. I'll play around with it tomorrow a bit. I also still need to install Slackware and Mandriva on this system. I d-loaded and burned the disks earlier today. I'm gonna' be a busy little penguin for the next few weeks. Ubuntu is still my primary OS, but I really like Debian and Fedora too. Ya' never know... I might end up as a hardcore Slackware user. ;)Later...

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm a biker, so I tend to have a bit of "attitude" about most things. Slack just appeals to my rebellious nature. Click on the pic link... that's me walking in front of the folks on the bikes. Don't I look like I should be using Slackware. B)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/vte...cs/HairDown.jpg

Well, I'm a biker, so I tend to have a bit of "attitude" about most things. Slack just appeals to my rebellious nature. Click on the pic link... that's me walking in front of the folks on the bikes. Don't I look like I should be using Slackware. B)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/vte...cs/HairDown.jpg
Ah, the way we see the world. ;) I too have a bit of an attitude towards life. I don't seem to agree with anyone when it comes to life, the universe or anything else. In a way, Patrick doesn't either. Slow and steady is definitely not the way most people go nowadays. You look like a "typical" Slacker to me. :)

V.T. Eric Layton
You look like a "typical" Slacker to me. ;)
My thoughts exactly! :)logo_linux_mo_bike.pngI guess I'll "cut my teeth", as the saying goes, on these other distros so that I'll be better prepared for the adventure that is Slackware when the time comes. B)

Funny thing is I couldn't get Slackware to the point I needed for usability and went over to pclinuxos. While in pclinuxos I found that some of the automations were broken on my install and ended up using my knowlege from my Slack attempts to fix my pclos install.Finally dawned on me that I could configure Slackware with a bit of help from Bruno, of course. I just didn't know it, yet. B)

welcome to Slackers r us Eric Slack is a great distro, its a solid distro and fastttt if you wanted more goodies not in the swaret you always have linuxpackages and of course tarballs, once your slack is set you can forget about its that solid

You hair is almost as long as mine.