How to change IP address without logging in Windows

teacher

We need ideas! Here's the situation:We moved all our computers along with our classrooms from one building to another. As a result I now have my own server with a different set of IP addresses.Novell was configured on the computers so that one could not bypass the Novell login. There is not a box to log in as desktop only. If I was the last person on the computer before they were moved we can boot in safe mode and make the necessary changes to the IP address.If a student was the last person on the computer then it is necessary to find a way into the computer to change the IP address without going into safe mode. In other words, there is no way to access windows to make the change. We can not boot into Novell because we don't have a way in right now. The configuration is no longer correct.My idea: Using Linux Live CDs, go in and make the necessary changes to the IP address. We also must add dhcp because we have to add wireless cards for the new configuration. I think I have a good idea of where the IP address is actually located. Is there a way to make the changes from a text edit rather than going through the appropriate programs?The answer to this will make a difference in how soon my students will be able to use their computers (in computer classes of course) when school starts next week. Due to the major changes in the district it will probably be a month after school starts before the IT staff can reimage the computers. Any and all ideas are truely welcome!

I can't answer your problem but I can say your situation is not uncommon with schools. Even higher education environments have this issue. Why doesn't anyone test before rollouts? Hopefully you are compensated for your time. Teachers/Instructors I know are only paid for "Instruction Time" thus get shafted on setup and preclass time.

What is the server OS and what are the clients?With the server running and the clients up and running can you remote in from the server?

Edited by Marsden11

Can not get to the server. I could not tell you what it is running yet. All I know is I have the IP addresses, DNS, gateway and subnet. Unless I can get those into the XP computers, they will have to be reimaged and I will start the school year without computer use.

TemmuGreat idea but the other network was in the building we left behind. There is not even a server there to reconnect with. It is where I am now or nothing.The IT folks think that by bringing in an extra router we can spoof the address and get in that way. That's on the agenda for in a day or two.

If the clients are running XP then you could boot each client from any XP CD and head to the recovery console and the CMD prompt.Netsh is a command-line scripting utility that allows you to, either locally or remotely, display or modify the network configuration of a computer that is currently running. Netsh also provides a scripting feature that allows you to run a group of commands in batch mode against a specified computer. Netsh can also save a configuration script in a text file for archival purposes or to help you configure other servers.Netsh contextsNetsh interacts with other operating system components using dynamic-link library (DLL) files. Each Netsh helper DLL provides an extensive set of features called a context, which is a group of commands specific to a networking component. These contexts extend the functionality of netsh by providing configuration and monitoring support for one or more services, utilities, or protocols. For example, Dhcpmon.dll provides netsh the context and set of commands necessary to configure and manage DHCP servers. To run a netsh command, you must start netsh from the Cmd.exe prompt and change to the context that contains the command you want to use. The contexts that are available to you depend on which networking components you have installed. For example, if you type dhcp at the Netsh command prompt, you change to the DHCP context, but if you do not have DHCP installed the following message appears:The following command was not found: dhcp.For more info http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=trueHere is an example using a netsh DHCP script:

rem one DHCP server:rem (DHCP-01) 192.168.0.2rem 1. Connect to (DHCP-01), and add the scope MyScope with IP address 192.168.10.0,rem 1.1  subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and the comment NewScope.netsh dhcp server 192.168.0.2 add scope 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 MyScope NewScoperem 2. Connect to (DHCP-01 MyScope), and add IP address range 192.168.10.1 to 192.168.10.254 for distributionrem 2.1  and the default ClientType of DHCP.netsh dhcp server 192.168.0.2 scope 192.168.10.0 add iprange 192.168.10.1 192.168.10.254rem 3. Connect to (DHCP-01 MyScope), and add IP exclusion range 192.168.10.1 to 192.168.10.25rem 3.1  and the default ClientType of DHCP.netsh dhcp server 192.168.0.2 scope 192.168.10.0 add excluderange 192.168.10.1 192.168.10.25rem 4. Connect to (DHCP-01 MyScope), and set the value of option code 003rem 4.1   to list two router IP addresses (10.1.1.1, 10.1.1.2).netsh dhcp server 192.168.0.2 scope 192.168.10.0 set optionvalue 003 IPADDRESS 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2rem 5.  Connect to (DHCP-01 MyScope), and set the scope state to active.netsh dhcp server 192.168.0.2 scope 192.168.10.0 set state 1rem 6. End example batch file.

See the commands below and how they are used.server Shifts the current DHCP command-line context to the server that is specified by either its name or IP address. add scope Adds a new scope to the specified DHCP server. scope Switches the command context to the DHCP scope that is specified by its IP address. add iprange Adds a range of IP addresses to the current scope. add excluderange Adds a range of excluded addresses to the current scope. set optionvalue Sets an option value for the current scope. set state Sets or resets the state of the current scope to either an active or inactive state.

Edited by Marsden11

Thanks. That sounds very possible. I can probably do that from safe mode. I will have to dig up XP somewhere to try on the computers we can not boot in safe mode. I have a stack of Dell recovery CDs but I doubt they will be much use here.

If the clients are running XP then you could boot each client from any XP CD and head to the recovery console and the CMD prompt.
The "command line" and the recovery console are two different animals, and NETSH is not an available function of the recovery console. The following commands are available:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058I don't think there's anything there that would help you.Kevin

Command mode with net prompt got me into netsh. Then with every command I got: The following comand was not found: That was with the safe mode.TemmuI do not have ANY computers that can boot - other than a wireless laptop. I may have to load dhcp on a computer to be able to do anything. That was something we discussed. Nor do I have any crossover cables. We are still waiting for the regular cables for all the other classrooms. They have 500 on order but the ends are not here yet. Two days to go until school starts. Life is fun. :thumbsup:

I cant right click the connection in safe mode that I have found yet. I'm still working on it. It looks to me like i need to create hte sh script and then run that?

:lol: 5...hundred! ;) w/o ends! i hope you have student workers or something! that's about.... 30 hrs of crimping...
I wonder how many crimping tools Teacher has access to?Bob

Me? I don't crimp lines! ;) Then again, hard to tell what they bring into my classroom. I returned from a meeting today to find 150 blank keys in ny room and a little machine to make keys as well. It will be nice to be able to lock my door at the end of the day.

Actually my class sizes are to kill for. 1st period: 2, Second period: 6 and 4th period: 4.I think I can handle that! Seven students in Digital Communications aka Playtoys 101 and 4 in Computer Applications 1. That just leaves my one 8th grader to create something for around career exploratory.

I have successfully updated about 30 - 40 computers in the last two days. I brought in a router and configured the IP address so that it would match the novell. Once I logged in through that I could go into the LAN and change the TCP/IP. Then I reconnected directly to the system. All is well now. Thanks for the many ideas and time spent coming up with them. :whistling:

I was thinking about you with the start of school. Rather you than me. I wouldn't have a clue what to do. How many computers must you work on yet?

All the computer are up and running in my school except for one with a defective motherboard (no input/output). Now I just have to figure out how to remap all the printers. That's the next big challenge, particularly since we switched servers. I sure was glad I had extra routers laying around. I don't know how I would have done it otherwise. :P

I have no idea. I assume they are Novell. Novell was the problem with the desktop computers. My trusty old routers from home were the magical answer. :)The techs have to do some magic because we are now off a high school server rather than the elementary server we were on before. Going through the mapping - both windows and Novell - did nothing for me because they had not done something on their end. I finally brought in a long USB cable from home and hooked up the color laser printer in my room directly to my computer.

That's ok - better late than never. The main thing is the saga seems to be resolved - for the most part. I can get on most computers now - except for a few hardware problems. I don't think the move was good on all the computers. :hmm:

yes, especially if they are older.for the sick ones, unplug them, open the case, remove all the cards and cables one at a time and re-seat everything; even the ram and cpu.that will fix a good percent of them.
I agree, re-seat everything you possibly can.If that doesn't fix it, you can also try cleaning the brass/gold fingers on the ram sticks using a Pink Perl eraser. Just be sure to wipe away any eraser crumbs before re-seating the ram.

Nice advice guys. However, I don't think I can reseat the motherboard. In every case it is something that is built into the motherboard! The joys of built in components. :thumbsup: