Mozilla mail loses settings

Prelude76

I came across this post from another user on mozillazine.org. I've run into "lost profile" myself once and i know others have as well. I wonder if this is true.

My father purchased a new Dell with WinXP. First thing I did was install Mozilla and set up his email with the Mozilla client. A couple months later his profile mysteriously disappeared. I drove 3.5hours to his house to resolve the issue (and visit with family), and was able to get his profile back. Then I performed a "Windows Update" to update the OS. Because he is on a dialup, it was going to take over an hour, so I left to go back home. I get home and his profile is gone again. Gee, the only change was an M$ update.......At this point he is using Outlook, with a good AV software, because I'm quite convinced that M$ has installed malicious code in WinXP that messes with third party email/browser clients.
any thoughts?

to blame it on MS is a bit irrational IMO... I would highly doubt that Windows Update could do that... Besides, if it were found out to be true, MS would be in such deep **** that they'd be done for... Mozilla has some glitches, and profile issues have been known... If the profile was removed, how did the guy restore it? seems like more of an anti-ms thread than an actual problem to me.

I think that it is possible.It happened to me twice.First time with Windows Update but I did not loose profile, only Bookmark.The rest of the profile was fine, I also have had backed up copy of my Bookmark so I did not pay much attention thinking it was just a "glitch".Second time was more serious but culprit this time was not Windows Update, it was Real Player.As soon as I installed Real Player, it deleted my profile entirely.All the settings and bookmark and everything and I could not get it back because it was gone, empty folder.I think it has something to do with Mozilla being Defaylt browser, actually at the time I was using Phoenix not Mozilla.After that happened I also noticed that my default browser magically revetred back to IE instead of Phoenix, maybe because Real is using IE to display web content in it's "Media Browser".One thing led to another and after that I uninstalled Real Player forever and there is nothing to convince me to put it back and "dirty" my system with that piece of c@#p.I also never updated anything through Windows Update after that and so far (knock on wood) changed Phoenix to Firebird and reinstalled several nightlies but "glitch" never happened.I am recovered IEholic now and I can say I am cured and happy with my Firebird :D

As soon as I installed Real Player, it deleted my profile entirely.I am recovered IEholic now and I can say I am cured and happy with my Firebird :D
very interesting. if this happens to many peeps, what are the chances its all a coincidental 'bug' in the mozilla code?IEholic. hehe :D i know some people will disagree with this statement, but i personally never use windows update unless its something i need (such as fax preview got broken after SP1 and i needed to patch it). but i never ever install any IE or OE related security patches (about 75% of so-called Windows Updates) no matter what. glad to see i'm not the only one avoiding the Update like the plague. :lol:p.s. - i also don't believe in flu-shots, government-spraying the cities to kill mosquitoes, and never touch milk due to their hormone-added inpurities. call me paranoid if you must, but i would trust the multi-billion dollar behemoth Microsoft about as far as I could throw george w. bush. :D

• 6 months later...

Upgraded Win ME to XP Pro at church. Mozilla profile is gone. No mail, no address book. :D I don't think there are any backups. I backed up My Documents, but the profile wasn't in there.I'm just sick about it.

The reason your profile isn't there is because Moz stores it in a different place in WinME and WinXP... Check c:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla for your old profile...

I did a search for bookmarks & mail & the old profile didn't show up anywhere. I'll look again, but I don't believe it is there unless Search wasn't finding it. I'll look again when I go in this evening.Thanks GolfPro!I assume that the backup that Windows made before installation was only system files & if I went back to ME, it wouldn't bring back the profile. This email is important enough that it would be worth it to roll back temporarily if I knew I could get it back.

To elaborate... in that Mozilla folder, there should be a profiles/default/xxxxxxx.slt folderClose Mozilla,then browse to C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Mozilla\profiles\default\xxxxxxx.slt. Delete the contents of the xxxxxx.slt folderCopy the contents of the old profile folder to the empty folder you just cleaned out... That should do it.(%USERNAME% is the name that you're logged into the computer as)

I can't find the old profile email or address book to copy. If I could find it, I think I would be able to muddle through.I'll take your instructions to church & try to find the old info. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks!________________Keeping my fingers crossed.