No Sound in PCLOS 9.2

Stryder

I just installed PCLOS on my youngin's machine and am having issues with the sound. The issue being no sound. No system sound, no sound in browsers, no sound in multimedia devices. Through digging around I did notice the arts server is not starting during boot up. Sound is enabled in the K control panel. Been messing with this for 2 days. Stumped.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Stryder

Hi Stryder Welcome back my dear old chap B) . . . could you please show us

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf

;) Bruno

Hey Bruno!!! Always my pleasure sir.install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/trueremove snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1alias eth0 8139tooalias net-pf-10 offremove audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove audigyinstall audigy /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install audigy

hmmmm . . that is a soundblaster card . . . . do you have the exact type number of it ??Maybe it needs another driver seeing it is audiigy.Also . . whe you do

$  /usr/bin/play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

does that give sound ?See the aRts server is only for system-sounds . . we could use another soundserver to hear the system-sounds.B) Bruno

On first sight it looks like the snd-emu10k1 is indeed the correct driver . . but I can not find the correct link to the ALSA info I had . . . . give me some time to trace it please.Is this a PCI card ? ( I think it is B) ) And if so have you disabled the onboard soundchip in the BIOS ?;) Bruno

Yes, Bruno. It is a PCI sound card. The onbaord sound is disabled in the bios.No worries or hurries. It is 96 degrees outside so today is certainly a stay inside kinda day. B)

Oh my it's Stryder. Hi there stranger..... I think it was hurricane time the last time I saw you around here. Good luck with your sound. I'm headed to the pool. It's too hot around here. B)

Hi Stryder . . . I found the page I was looking for:http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index...ive_Labs#matrixNow what I see there is that there are a few different versions of the Audigy 2 ZS but they all use the "emu10k1" driver and not the "ens1370" ( which is the one distros often mess ip with )So now we know you do indeed have the correct driver we need to find the real problem :'(Now a few questions first:1). When you run the PCLos Live ( so not the HD install ) does it then have sound ? ( "/usr/bin/play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav" is a good way to test B) )2). Is the PClos HD install fully updated ?3). Are you 100% sure the Kmix is un-muted ?4). What is the output of "aumix -q" ( as user ) ?? And if aumix is not installed could you please install it ?;) Bruno

Hey Bruno, Sorry for the long absence. We were made an offer we couldn't refuse and took an unexpected mini vacation. Anyway, we got back this afternoon and I just reinstalled and everything worked fine. Go figure.Thanks again, Bruno. You are the best!!!

• 1 year later...
Guest LilBambi

Great to see you Stryder! :thumbsup:Nice to see ya working well in Linux!Gotta love Linux! (Missed this posting earlier, but saw your post in Scot's Congratulations in the Announcement area and figured I say hi here!)