Forum Software Upgrade: 2.1.6+

Scot

Believe it or not, there are half a dozen versions of Invision PowerBoard 2.1.6. They should at least give them letters at the end. Otherwise, what's the point??Anyway, we are up to date with the June 30th version of 2.1.6, which includes protections for all known vulnerabilities.I decided to go with a more involved full upgrade this time around, as one of the interim releases didn't seem to take fully the last time I upgraded. This time it went more smoothly, but it's actually a larger upgrade than it might sound.Things should be operating well, but if not, please report here. Thanks.-- Scot

Hmmm. I have all the emoticons. Just checked. Yes, my avatar is gone because I tested to see if that part had changed and thus lost it.

Missing images after an upgrade is the most common post-upgrade problem. But it usually is a local, not a server, problem. Clearing cache usually helps. It sounds like Marsden, though, is seeing something different.All I can say is that I'm not seeing any missing icons right now. If there is a commonly experienced problem with graphics, then there are some things I can do. I prefer not to do them unless I have to.Let me know if you're still seeing strange graphics issues.About avatars, SNF no longer accepts .JPGs -- only .PNGs and .GIFs. Other than that, there have been no changes. Previously accepted .JPGs are grandfathered. This change was made about 6 - 8 weeks ago. We do not intend to reverse it. The potential threat from .JPGs is just too high. We have taken several steps in recent months to bolster security. Another change is that we've raised new registrations to the most limited possible short of disabling new registrations. What that means is that you have to register with a valid email, fill in the non-machine-readable bitmap security alphanumeric string, receive the confirmation message, click the confirmation link in the confirmation message, and then be personally approved by one of our admins. SNF can be read by anyone, but you need to go through these registration steps in order to post.The registration process we're using is generally known as double-opt-in with moderator approval. Why are we going through this arduous process? Because an army of bots and real people have been trying to register at Invision PowerBoard forums around the world. When they do become registered, they try to release a script that destablizes the forums. So far we've been lucky, largely due to the vigilance and quick actions taken by Forum Admins LilBambi and Corrine.The current plan is to remain in double-opt-in with moderator approval indefinitely.Someone said that they didn't notice any difference after the upgrade. That's a good thing. Most of the releases of new forum software have been about nothing more than security patches. That's the reason why Invision Power Services seems to feel that it doesn't have to decrement these releases. But I think one of the reasons why IPB customers have had a hard time keeping their boards up to to date is that the version numbers are very difficult to understand.Hope this answers most of the questions.-- Scot