New Install

mike180

Just built me a new computer with an 80 Gig HDD Ultra ATA 133, 512 MBs 333DDR, and 2600AMD XP. Loaded Mandrake in just 7 Minutes. Second Partion but first system intalled, made boot disk then installed Win XP Pro in 27 min. Very fast machine!! ON board sound but installed 5.1 Sorround sound card and only use it with no probllem. MCC and config only the sorround sound card but not the on board. Works great>mike180

Mike180,Wow! sounds like a great system. :) I've got an Athlon XP 1800+, took me 21 minutes to install Mandrake 9.1 - your system screams. :) Hope you enjoy,

Just curious - wouldn't the speed of install also be controlled by how many options were selected?  :)
That, the read speed of the CD-Rom and the write speed of the Harddrive (being ATA133 sure helps!) :)

Sound like a lovely system Mike ! You´re making us all jealous !Just one little remark; you should have installed Windows first and Mandrake after. That way Lilo would have incorperated Win in the start-up. But well, with an install of 7 minutes you can always just do a re-install to get that right ! :):) Bruno

Surround Sound; my spelling sure was bad that day. :) B) :) Installed everything on the left column w/gnome and kde. Mandrake was asking for disks as fast as one arm would allow. B) :) The ATA 133HDD and 512DDR ram and 2600 AMD is all speed and the GeForce 4 Ti4200@8xAGP is all beauty.I am sorry to be bragging but I am Very Proud of Myself; especially with a broken arm and micro surgury schedualed for next week. :D .As you can see I broke my arm patting myself on the back B) B) :) .mike180

As you can see I broke my arm patting myself on the back
Oooo , that´s how you broke your arm . . I was wondering . . . . . Glad all went so well, and that your system is up to scratch ! Nothing more fun then a good running self build system !! B) :DB) Bruno

Surround Sound; my spelling sure was bad that day. :D  B)  :lol: Installed everything on the left column w/gnome and kde.  Mandrake was asking for disks as fast as one arm would allow. :lol:  :) The ATA 133HDD and 512DDR ram and 2600 AMD is all speed and the GeForce 4 Ti4200@8xAGP is all beauty.I am sorry to be bragging but I am Very Proud of Myself; especially with a broken arm and micro surgury schedualed for next week. :lol: .As you can see I broke my arm patting myself on the back :)  B)  :blink: .mike180
Mike180,Guess you'll have to use your foot next time: :lol: haggar.jpg

LOLBe carefull Quint, this way he might just break his legs as well . . . . . B) :DB) Bruno
Wouldn't that be terrible - to become a parapelegic, by assembling a wonderful PC! :) :blink:

Hey Bruno,Did you read the part about 2 sound systems and only configuring one. The second is now disabled in bios but not at first.I can always add my MDK to MBR using rescue, but would rather use floppy disk until I finish setting up my HDD with the other Linux systems I want. Then I will edit the boot and have what I need.mike180

Hey Bruno,Did you read the part about 2 sound systems and only configuring one.  The second is now disabled in bios but not at first.
Yes I did read that . . . was wondering if disabling would not be better, but as you said you did not configure it and it did not act funny, I thought: good ! I am glad you did disable it in the end though . . you never know . . . . :lol: Bruno

I finally got SuSE to install ftp. the addy for mirror.mcs.anl.gov is 140.221.9.138. Doing a complete download for network install. Sister sure will be surprised when she boots to SuSE. :D ;) ;) mike180

Just added a debian system to new computer called Librenet. Having a hard time with the Nvidia update, though. Don't know what to use aptget or wget. Maybe, just download and install. :blink: :unsure: .Mike180

Using boot disk to accomplish the triple boot. I was going to ask you about adding Librenet to the Mandrake boot loader or to point me to the right page in your "tips for linux starters".Galeon sure is a nice browser. Very fast! :blink: :D mike180 :unsure:

MikeTry going to the search button at the top of the page. When it comes up with the search menu and type in "Lilo" and then go down below that in the next rectangle and put it on "All Things Linux". That should give you a good starting place.

Just added a debian system to new computer called Librenet.  Having a hard time with the Nvidia update, though.  Don't know what to use aptget or wget.  Maybe, just download and install. ;)  :lol: .Mike180
Mike180,On my Libranet, I never tried to install the latest Nvidia drivers; would think to go to there site, and d/l and install, they have an excellent install procedure...best of luck.NVIDIA Linux drivers

SonicDragon
I finally got SuSE to install ftp. the addy for mirror.mcs.anl.gov is 140.221.9.138. Doing a complete download for network install. Sister sure will be surprised when she boots to SuSE.   
Ha! I wish that would happen at my house. All of a sudden my computer boots linux! Sounds nice to me :)