WGA and WGA Notification Tool

Guest LilBambi

Just this moment after I booted into Windows, I was offered the 905474 update :hysterical: I denied the download and installation of this piece of ****, I've paid my dollars for two licenses (two machines) and I see no need for this **** behind my back. :( Am I glad I've read these postings ! B)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redmaledeer

• Corrine

• Marsden11

• lewmur

Don't you all see that we're being used as guinea pigs for Microsoft's next OS in using what amounts to a Beta test for Vista in this latest WGA tool ?I did exactly as Striker did when I went to MU out of curiosity, and saw that same "recommended" update 905474. After this past "Super Tuesdday" it was the only one hanging in like like a bad smell...I denied it, and will continue to do so. But there was an earlier update that installed itself on my system with the systray icon. The next thing I did was do a System Restore. No more nags/spyware, call it what you want. If I can find the link, it'll back up what I just said about the "beta" theory, as there is a backlash from the general community about this spyware...And FWIW (and it's worth it), Automatic Updates are disabled completely on my system. I'll get my updates monthly from MS TechNet, and I'll choose whatever I need or want, whenever I want it. I have never trusted MS with their updates (because of the countless fixes for fixes in pre-SP2 times), and this only reinforces my hindsight. B) Other than that, I love XP ! :huh:

redmaledeer
I'll get my updates monthly from MS TechNet, and I'll choose whatever I need or want, whenever I want it.
I also want to pick and choose which updates I download from Micro$oft. So I went to TechNet, and I think I found the download website, namely http://www.microsoft.com/technet/downloads/default.mspx. (Is that correct?) But my question is, why is it preferable to use TechNet instead of M$'s Microsoft Update or Windows Update. Don't the last two also allow you to pick which updates you wish to install? (Assuming, of course, that you don't have automatic updating turned on.) Or have I missed something?

This is the page where I start from :Microsoft Security Bulletin SearchBut you have to know exactly what you have installed on your system, and where to navigate to (and more importantly) what to download. If I'm not entirely sure I have all the critical updates, then I'll run Belarc Advisor. :huh: It's a bit more work. But on a monthly basis (or when Peachy, Fran or others post something in the ongoing thread dedicated to that purpose), I'll go back. This way, I know what I'm getting. And it's not shafted ! :huh:

Don't the last two also allow you to pick which updates you wish to install? (Assuming, of course, that you don't have automatic updating turned on.)
It's been many months since I last went there, that I couldn't even confirm that. Regardless; even if you have Updates set to "Notify me...", once they're downloaded, there is no way to pick what you want install. You could in the past. Today, you still have to choose the Express or Custom install since SP2, which reverts you back to the site. If you have it on "full" auto, and if you ignore the many irritating prompts to reboot your system, it will eventually reboot it for you if your system runs 24/7, and you're idle at the scheduled time. No good if you're in the middle of a big file download !. B) These are 2 other reasons I switched it off. Another benfit of turning it off (and disabling the background service), is that you have 1 less TSR. And even if you could choose, the installs take forever at the WU/MU web site due to abnormally long scanning times. The optional Office updates can be had from the Office Updates page.And don't talk to me about anything MS Beta since MSAS. But that's the "method to MY madness". To each his/her own... :huh:

...once they're downloaded, there is no way to pick what you want install.
If you choose the "Custom" install instead of Express you are presented with a list of updates. Each update has a checkbox next to it. Uncheck any update and it will not install. You can then tell it to hide any of the updates you're not interested in. You will never see them again.

Guest LilBambi

Windows Updates will never be turned on, on my computer again.And I may well be going back to Win2K and staying there since I also have licensed copy of Win2K for the certain things that need Windows.I have totally had it with Microsoft.My next "personal" OS will be my Linux -- Windows will be relegated to last resort for stubborn things ONLY.B)

redmaledeer
My next "personal" OS will be my Linux -- Windows will be relegated to last resort for stubborn things ONLY.
Is it Windows or Internet Explorer that would be needed for stubborn things? I ask because it may become possible to run IE without Windows (under Linux, I believe). Then maybe one could dispense with Windows entirely. Marsden11 earlier mentioned the Wine project. I'm not sure I understand it completely, but they are working on making it possible to run programs without Windows, which would normally run under Windows. They already have IE running without Windows, the not yet smoothly.

Marsden, I know what you're talking about. I remember that very well. But what I was refering to (and should have been a little more clearer about) is once the downloads are ready for installation when you see the yellow icon in the systray. One might as well just go to the main update site. In any case my mind is made up. This is the way I'm proceding, and I won't change my view re MS and the direction they're taking. and it is not only limited to updates. For all its "eye candy", they'll never see my money for Vista DRM until there is no more support for XP. I don't like tabbed browsing, so IE7 will never see the light of day on my comp. And FF is not ready for prime time IMO. Windows Live ? You must be kidding !Had they concentrated on securing IE6 once and for all, and tested their updates before putting them out for the public, Vista would not be on the table today. It's just a marketing ploy to distract us from what's really going on.Who do they think we are ? Ignorant fools and endless money pits ? :huh: Don't get me wrong on one thing: like epp_b puts it, I may have been a MS "fan boy" since Day One. But my allegiance is quickly eroding. Maybe I'm the type of potential client "sitting on the fence" that Apple is looking to get. B)

redmaledeer
If you choose the "Custom" install instead of Express you are presented with a list of updates. Each update has a checkbox next to it. Uncheck any update and it will not install. You can then tell it to hide any of the updates you're not interested in. You will never see them again.
My experience with M$'s Microsoft Update and Windows Update is exactly as Marsden11 describes. That is why I asked what the advantage is in using TechNet. (I have SP1 rather than SP2, if that counts for anything.)

redmaledeer,WINE runs quite nicely in most Linux distros; just add it when you select your software during installation or after the fact. On my OpenSUSE notebook I have Photoshop 7 and Picasa running. For some reason I couldn't get Internet Explorer to install. That's okay, I don't need it. I know Dreamweaver MX is supposed to work as I got it installed 3 years ago in Red Hat 9.

What a thread, lots of good info! This thing has shaken some of us awake and may be even made some of us turn our back at Microsoft. But I prefer to keep an eye on them, they can't be trusted imo.FWIW : I've noticed all this beta stuff a long time ago, we're all just being used to "test drive" these ***ware for the next OS they'll dump on us. Way back then I've made up my mind and said "ho, this has to stop.My wallet is mine and so is my computer.I've had it, I'll have XP on it as long as it gets supported with security updates."That's why I'm testing out that many distros, and of course the fun it gives and gaining more experience with it.I assume I don't have to tell what OS I'll be running for good next?

redmaledeer Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM (I have SP1 rather than SP2, if that counts for anything.)
This may be slightly off-topic, but it's important to remind people that service packs (like the OSes themselves), don't last forever.What are you waiting for to install this major equivalent of a new XP ? It's only been out since August 2004 ! Support for SP1 ends October 11th ! :teehee: Stop sitting on the fence, man...
On October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end all public assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack1 (SP1). After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates for this retired service pack under the policies defined by the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy.
And unless it's already been posted, this bulletin has been up since January '06...End of support for Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP Service Pack 1

If you're not automatically downloading and installing these patches, you need to to get with the program. It has happened that every so often Microsoft screws up with a patch. Personally, I've never had any issues with MS patches. (Knock on wood!) I don't think any of these screw ups have led to your machine to be remotely operated by some script kiddie in Croatia. All prejudices aside, pro and con, the patch history for Microsoft has been pretty good. It's not perfect but nobody ever said it was... If you're smart, give up trying to out think MS and just protect your computer/s and your data. That's the advice I give. We have forum members here still running SP1, 2 years after the release of SP2. Question: Do you seriously believe that SP2 will harm your system? I don't select Automatic Download and Install but I do have the updates automatically download and notify me when they are ready. Turn it on! On patch Tuesdays, if I don't see the yellow shield in the evening, I get the updates manually with two mouse clicks.Just because the yellow shield in the systray is reporting downloads are ready for installing does not mean you have no control. Don't click on the yellow shield! Manually go to Windows/Microsoft Update and select Custom Install. Select what you want and as soon as WU finishes the download/install, the yellow shield notice goes away until the next time. If this is all too much for you... start running Linux or go buy a Mac and run OS X.

I just don't get it why people still run SP1 and leave SP2 where it is, on MS servers. :hmm: There's nothing wrong with SP2. B)

This may be slightly off-topic, but it's important to remind people that service packs (like the OSes themselves), don't last forever.What are you waiting for to install this major equivalent of a new XP ? It's only been out since August 2004 ! Support for SP1 ends October 11th ! :hmm: Stop sitting on the fence, man...And unless it's already been posted, this bulletin has been up since January '06...
MS brought back Service Pack 2 on CD.

redmaledeer
...maybe one could dispense with Windows entirely. Marsden11 earlier mentioned the Wine project. I'm not sure I understand it completely, but they are working on making it possible to run programs without Windows, which would normally run under Windows.
In a similar vein, ReactOS is on the horizon. This is an OS which is an open source substitute for Windows: http://www.reactos.org/ http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=15575

redmaledeer
Is ReactOS some sort of April Fools joke? I d/l'd the iso and it's only 19mbs. Even DSL isn't that small.
ReactOS is still very much under development, but you can judge for yourself from the website whether it's a joke.

ReactOS is still very much under development, but you can judge for yourself from the website whether it's a joke.
Its easy to build a pretty Web site. I want to know if anyone actually has it running. I tried it and it didn't work. And the fact that it is only 19mb makes me very suspicious.

And the fact that it is only 19mb makes me very suspicious.
That does look funny, doesn't it? :hysterical: However, while the install CD only expaned to 19 mb, the Live CD opens to 65mb.

It makes you wonder how much bloat and fluff Microsoft puts into Windows! :DI remeber reading an article a long ways back that talked about how microsoft will add code to windows for the sole purpose of making windows compatible with a particular application. I know that this adds to the codebase of windows. Seems to me though, that compatibility would be the responsibility of the company that writes the application....... :hysterical: Adam

Guest LilBambi

An interesting twist in the WGA Notification Tool spyware saga....Went to a client's house today to install their new router and set up WPA for it and get their security software up to date, etc.While I was there, I noticed that the yellow shield was in the system tray, so I manually went to Windows Update to see what needed to be gotten and sure enough, the only thing was the WGA Notification Tool.I deselected it, and then the option to not show me that update again was available, so I clicked it.A new item in all windows indicated that a 'critical' update was hidden, click here to restore showed up.No worries, I think.I rebooted the computer to see if the item showed up again in the system tray at boot and also because I had uninstalled a program that needed a reboot.Upon reboting and logging in, I noticed NO yellow shield, so I went back to Windows Updates to get the driver update that I saw there. That looks promising...I get to the Windows update site page, and it shows that box that shows up for computers that haven't been to Windows Updates for a long time, updated Windows Updates software need to be installed. Cringing the whole way, I clicked yes to continue since I could not get to the page without doing so. The only thing it installed was ........... WGA Notification Tool and then it proceeded to see what updates were available ... despite my having said do not offer this again!So, the bottom line. It doesn't matter any more if you say don't show me this update anymore AND you will have the pre-release BETA Windows Genuine Advantage Notification Tool to access the Windows Update page now.*sigh*

Speaking about forcing an install to someone... would be a good item on various blogs around the world. :) That'll teach 'm a lesson! :)

Edited by striker

Well it looks like I won't be getting anymore updates from** I just tried to manually udate a W2k system and got the following message: [Error number: 0x8DDD0018] The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer) Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted) Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed) To make sure these services are running:1. Click Start, and then click Run.2. Type services.msc and then click OK.3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button. [/color]I'll be ****** if I'll let ANYONE hijack my computer. 1984 has arrived. If this doesn't generate a tremendous outcry from Windows users, then it's all over but the mopping up.

I get my 2K updates without that message.I just checked those three services. Automatic Updates is set for Automatic but I always choose Custom install and I have never had updates download in the background. BITS is set to manual. Event Log is also automatic.As long as you always remember to select Custom and NEVER select express, you won't have any updates forced on you in 2k.I just checked my 2K notebook and all three services have the same settings as I previously mentioned.

Edited by zlim

If I go to the WinUpdate page, I do custom also and *knock on wood* seem to be ok. Belarc Advisor (with Defs updated 6/13) shows my PC is up to date with MS Updates.