Ziplock Omlets

bob3160

I'm sure the plastic taste is really nice... :'(
What plastic taste? Have you tried it? I have and there isn't any plastic taste just the taste of a great omlet

In my younger years I graduated from the Culinary Academy in SF and cooked in the back of the house at Stars under Jeremiah Towers, one of the early architects of California Cuisine along with Alice Waters... I'm not cooking eggs in plastic... If I were to ever get to that point of even considering such a travesty… please just shoot me…

Since placing food in anaerobic environments can cause the growth of botulinum spores, sous vide cooking must be performed under carefully controlled conditions to avoid botulism poisoning. To help with food safety and taste, relatively expensive water-bath machines are used to circulate precisely heated water; differences of even one degree can affect the finished product.
From the article above...

yea I will stick with the nonstick skillet - got to use a kettle anyway so it's not like your saving much on dishes, don't really see the point.

In my younger years I graduated from the Culinary Academy in SF and cooked in the back of the house at Stars under Jeremiah Towers, one of the early architects of California Cuisine along with Alice Waters... I'm not cooking eggs in plastic... If I were to ever get to that point of even considering such a travesty… please just shoot me…
Apparently the only thing you learned at the CA was how to be a snob. There is absolultely no way that any taste would leach from the ziplock bag in thirteen minutes. I wouldn't use that method of cooking an omlet for the simple reason that I wouldn't waste all that time. But there isn't a top rated chef in the world that doesn't resort to using non-stick pans on occasion. And that is truely "cooking in plastic."

From the article above...
The method in the article involved cooking for up to 24 hrs. There is no way that any bacteria in going to grow in thirteen minutes. Use your brain.

Marsden11Something eludes me. Why are you trying to start a confrontationover a simple cooking suggestion.This is a suggestion, nothing more. If it's not to your liking, simply pass it by.I may not have had any culinary training but, I know how to cook. Just ask my Wife. :'( Since you can cook up to 6 - 2 egg omelets at once, in 13 min., it's actually a timesaver when you have to prepare that many all at once.They will all be ready at the same time. Try that in a frying pan....Since the burner is turned off once the bags are inserted, The covered pot also doesn't have to take up any room on the stove.Remember, I made and ate an omelet before I post this little hint in here. :w00t:

There is no way that any bacteria in going to grow in thirteen minutes. Use your brain.
All meat, poultry, fish and dairy is contaminated to a certain extent. Germs need food, moisture and time to grow. There are already "killer" bacteria in many foods you eat every day, but they're in such tiny quantities that your body's natural digestion process can take care of them, so the food you eat isn't harmful.Freezing the food doesn't kill the bacteria. Keeping the food refrigerated doesn't kill the bacteria. All you are doing is slowing the germs' reproduction down. That's why chicken, meat, fish and dairy spoil quickly, even in the fridge. The germs are multiplying from the time the animal was killed. These items are kept refrigerated to keep them wholesome enough to eat within a reasonable amount of time. They still contain bacteria, though.
Since you can cook up to 6 - 2 egg omelets at once, in 13 min.
I'd be curious to see what the internal temp is on each ziplock omelet when 6 chilled items are placed in boiling water with no additional heat for cooking. What are the individual temps after 13 minutes. I'm also wondering what size pot you are using. A 16 quart would be sufficient but smaller pots might stack the bags on top of each other. In that case, would they all cook evenly?
They will all be ready at the same time. Try that in a frying pan....
Well, I can't cook them all at once so they are all ready at the exact same time but I can cook six at a time if I want. You have not seen my stove. (Wolf 6 burners and an infra-red gas grill) But for the sake of this discussion, I'll cook 3 at a time and finish all 6 in less than 13 minutes. This morning I did 3 in less than 5 minutes from pan to plate. Granted I had more cleanup to do in the end but that's what kids are for... Aside from prep, cooking and cleanup... you have taste. For me, taste is the most important... cooking them in plastic is not going to deliver the same taste and flavors as heating some garlic in butter and olive oil and proceeding from there...

All meat, poultry, fish and dairy is contaminated to a certain extent. Germs need food, moisture and time to grow. There are already "killer" bacteria in many foods you eat every day, but they're in such tiny quantities that your body's natural digestion process can take care of them, so the food you eat isn't harmful.Freezing the food doesn't kill the bacteria. Keeping the food refrigerated doesn't kill the bacteria. All you are doing is slowing the germs' reproduction down. That's why chicken, meat, fish and dairy spoil quickly, even in the fridge. The germs are multiplying from the time the animal was killed. These items are kept refrigerated to keep them wholesome enough to eat within a reasonable amount of time. They still contain bacteria, though.
Thirteen minutes is still not enough time for the bacteria to become harmfull. So your long winded post in no way proves your FUD.

Thirteen minutes is still not enough time for the bacteria to become harmful. So your long winded post in no way proves your FUD.
In this case, time has nothing to do with unsafe food. The Danger Zone for chicken, meat, fish and dairy is 45°F to 140°F. If one of the 6 ziplock bags which is placed in the (cooling) boiling water fails to reach 140°F internal, it is considered unsafe. It is not about time... it's ALL about temperature... It does not matter if it's 13 minutes or 13 hours... Thus the food service motto, "when in doubt, throw it out." And that is proven scientific fact...

Guest LilBambi

That's what kids are for? Wow ... I raised three children and two out of three now have kids of their own ... I never knew that. B):whistling:Maybe I should pass that tidbit on to them now so they won't miss the opportunity. B)

Marsden11How many of these omelets have you personally tried?Judging from your replies, the answer is quite obvious.I personally don't care if you never try one but please don't condemm somethingyou've never tried.I'm glad you have a 6 burner stove. Not all of us do. As far as cooking it longer, it would get tougher. The lenght of time is somethingyou'll have to play with. The size of the pot will also make a difference.They should of couse be fully cooked before you eat them. If your just making one omlet for yourself, and it's being freshly prepaired, it only needs tobe left in the boiling water for 6-7 min.

I personally don't care if you never try one but please don't condemn something you've never tried.
Bob-1- I have not told you how to cook. You are free to cook anyway you like.2- I have not condemned the method. I only stated I prefer not to cook that way.3- I commented on possible safety risks cooking 5 or more Ziplock omelets in a undersized pot.LilBambi-Thankyou for taking my remark seriously... it was offered in jest...

Someone just sent this to me:

This is also great for camping trips - many is the time that we have made eggs like this, and then used the boiling water for tea or coffee!