When did SNLF start doing pop unders?

Marsden11

Marsden11

Is this new feature?I'm also getting this script error. It is poping up every 2 minutes. If I close SNLF and IE the script error goes away.script-error1.pngI only have a single instance of IE open. I only have one tab open with this page loaded.

That sounds more like spyware than something wrong with the forum...I haven't seen it either, in Firefox or IE.

Guest LilBambi

Haven't seen anything like that here ... but then with a halfway decent HOST protection measure in place, I don't see many ads anyway...especially malicious ones.

Marsden11, I'm posting with IE7 Beta 2, and I'm not seeing the problems you describe. There are no pop-unders or pop-anywheres on any site that I operate. I don't believe in them.The Sarvesh.i8.com site in your error message concerns me. Perhaps it is the button labeled "ATTACK" on that site that is the root of my concern? Or the fact that in Corrine's link to Google cache version of the site, this Indian programmer claims to write and distribute viruses. Is this a prank on your part? Can you explain? Was it an accident? In any case, I'm not sure why you would post such a snide comment, effectively blaming our forums for a script error -- when that seems especially unlikely (though I will keep an eye on it).Marsden, I'm wondering why you seem to be taking a more combative tack here in the forums lately?That isn't the environment we're hoping to foster. You know that I value your opinions and technical knowledge. I hope you know that. But would it be possible for us do share experiences and knowledge in a more considerate way?Plenty of Scot's Newsletter readers see things about the world of computing the way you do. I think you know that I call them as I seem them and sometimes I'm in favor of Microsoft technology and decisions, and other times I'm not. There is no ... one ... right ... answer. We're all entitled to our opinions. And you needn't defend yours. As Corrine (and others) wrote in your browser challenge thread, it's really up to each person what browser they want to use. Bottom line: A browser challenge is a good idea. A browser challenge with malice intended, pictures of Firefox bloodied by the Great Scythe of Internet Explorer 7, and taking oneself too seriously, Just Isn't Fun. No one wins is overly serious battles in Web forums.We win when we hear your opinions calmly expressed. You might well be right about some things (I am sure you are). But you're not your own best lawyer.I hope the frank, open talk wasn't too strong. I'd like us all to get along, if not agree.-- Scot

Edited by Scot

Marsden11
Is this a prank on your part? Can you explain? Was it an accident?
I can assure you it was no prank. I posted what I observed while browsing on your forum. I had no other websites open just SNF. This behavior only began after you started using Sponsored Links at the bottom of every page.This behavior does not occur on any other website.I run Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, Adware all with real time protections enabled. None of these has discovered anything in their latest scans as of early this morning.I post an observation of a previously unseen behavior on your website and you immediately label it an attack. I was just trying to help and identify a possible new problem on the board.
In any case, I'm not sure why you would post such a snide comment, effectively blaming our forums for a script error -- when that seems especially unlikely (though I will keep an eye on it).
This popup Script Error did not pop up while running PhotoShop, ProShow Producer, or Power DVD. It only happened while viewing SNF. Snide comment??? Forgive me for posting an observation. I asked myself had anything recently changed on SNF? The only recent change I could think of was the addition of Sponsored Links on the bottom of each page. Is there a direct connection? I don't know.I suppose in the future I should just keep my observations to myself. I'm sorry to have bothered you and others here on SNF.

Is this new feature?
That comment was unnecessary, disingenuous and reads as if it were intended to be snide. Instead of simply asking about this popup you got, you choose to insinuate it must be the forum's fault. This was followed by several polite and helpful posts that went without reply.
Forgive me for posting an observation.
Insinuation, not a simple observation.
This popup Script Error did not pop up while running PhotoShop, ProShow Producer, or Power DVD. It only happened while viewing SNF.
Comparing apps installed on your computer with a site on the Internet is illogical. Do you get this popup with other Websites?

Marsden11
Comparing apps installed on your computer with a site on the Internet is illogical. Do you get this popup with other Websites?
I had no other websites open just SNF.
As I stated above, No!
This was followed by several polite and helpful posts that went without reply.
Am I to watch all threads I participate in 24X7? I did not view these other posts until I saw that Scot had responded.

Marsden11
That comment was unnecessary, disingenuous and reads as if it were intended to be snide. Instead of simply asking about this popup you got, you choose to insinuate it must be the forum's fault.
I have single window open to SNF. A never seen before Script Error window pops up. What does logic suggest? Do I see this behavior on every website I visit? No. Did I have multiple web pages open when this pop uo occured? No. Had I seen this popup before? No. Had any of my programs used to detect malicous programs discovered any abnormalities? No. Did any recent scans turn anything up? No. Could I have encountered a new piece of Adware/Spyware/Crapware so new as to not be in any current program definition? I don't know...You characterize my post as "disingenuous." Implying that my motives were at best not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating. Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-naïf. You state I choose to "insinuate" which is an indirect (and usually malicious) implication. Had the Script Error poped up on CNN or SI.com I would have been engaging those folks but it did not happen on either of those 2 sites. It only happened here and thus the observation and the post of the Script Error.

Marsden11,Did you look at the website that was mentioned in your error message though?That site has not been advertised in the text links, and we are also not the only site using this advertising company. I checked it out before I allowed it. The company is called HunterAds. Also, you're not the only person using IE7 to view the forums.Are you still seeing that script-blocking error message? Have you seen others?I am truly interested in your experience. It's just that, since no one else is seeing it, many of us wondered whether it was you who had encountered a problem. That is the more common event with things that are website based.I agree that it seems odd that you only see it on our forums. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has had any sort of hiccup with the forums.Until I hear of other issues, I'm just waiting and watching. I need to see a repeating pattern.-- Scot

Marsden11
Did you look at the website that was mentioned in your error message though?
No I did not. I never click on suspicious items. I immediately searched my Registry and found nothing. I had been out at a late meeting with my laptop. Our meeting location had no Internet connection. I came home and plugged the laptop in and headed to SNF. That is when I saw the first pop up script error.
Are you still seeing that script-blocking error message? Have you seen others?
No, I have not seen it since just after 1am here. I have seen no other pop up error messages.I have noticed that many of the sponsored links have been from advertisers located in foreign countries. I don't know if that has any connection to this or not.I'm truely at a loss to explain it.Well, I just checked Windows Defender history files. Apparently at 1:05am, WD detected and removed something called "eZula.Earn". WD usually runs at 4am but I ran it after I saw about 6 pop ups of the script error. WD ran first, then SpySweeper, and lastly AdAware. Neither of them reported anything.

The interesting thing is that the dialog you picture is not the "normal" dialog for Internet Explorer. I've only seen that type of dialog in FrontPage. Normally, in IE, it looks something like...15803_javascript-error.png... for example.I think I might have seen the type of dialog you picture once in IE, but it was so long ago and I don't remember when.

I only have a single instance of IE open.
Can you clarify a bit please? Do you mean:1. I have one Internet Explorer window open and that's it -- no other applications running at all2. I have only one Internet Explorer window open, but I have other programs running as well.If the answer is 2, what other programs did you have running? (by chance, maybe you wrote it down or something?)
Am I to watch all threads I participate in 24X7?
So, uh...subscribe to the thread... Edited by epp_b

Marsden11

#1 is correct. Nothing running but a single website in IE... SNF.

So, uh...subscribe to the thread...
No thanks... I have no desire to have my Inbox filled with posting notices...

With an error at line number 166 that's at the top of the page not the bottom where the new ads are.And at the top of this forums page I have ads for:Buy Popunder Advertising : i-web-marketing.compop under advertising : www.popundertraffic.netMonster Website Traffic : www.MonsterPops.comIf you were using a notebook with a touchpad maybe you accidently invoked one of these forum ads.Another possibility for your seeing the error, your IE 7 security settings prevented this ad from executing, whereas others' browsers let it run.At this point you've made your point, :) let the board figure it out. No use arguing about it.

No thanks... I have no desire to have my Inbox filled with posting notices...
Well, ya could use filters :)

daveydoom
The interesting thing is that the dialog you picture is not the "normal" dialog for Internet Explorer.
Sure it is :) . I've seen that script error dialog box countless times on PC's.

EdP might be onto something about the pop-up advertisements from Google AdSense at the top of the page.Marsden, do you recall what thread you were reading when you got the error message? As we know, Google AdSense interacts with the words on the page. The reason EdP saw ads for pop-ups in this thread is that those terms have been mentioned several times. But I'm curious about whether the Google AdSense ads might also be part of the picture here.And Marsden, just because the bottom-of-the-page ads have foreign advertisers doesn't mean they should be more suspect. I've checked out a lot of these ads, and so far there hasn't been any problem at all. Some of the ones that sound like they might be overseas, aren't, by the way.You know, I think that some of the acrimony right in this thread has to do with the language we sometimes use, perhaps without thinking. This is an honest conversation, a good discussion. But let's try to guard against:1. Jumping to conclusions2. Sarcasm and pointed commentsThere's not something evil or bad hiding under every rock on the Internet. We need to be watchful, always on our guard. But let's not let the bad stuff "take away from our enjoyment of the game," the phrase often used by baseball parks in their park rules. In other words, let's stay positive.About the ads ... these forums have to become more commercialized in order to pay for the likely increased cost of dedicated/managed hosting. So we're bound to see more ads here, and on the Scot's Newsletter site too. But let's be realistic, if I were a money grubber, I would have long ago cast down the rules and let these forums be the free-wheeling place that some of us would, I think, prefer. Because by doing that, I would have a lot more members. I also would have done away with double-opt-in membership.But that's never been my goal. To be honest, I don't make any money on this place, and I also don't gain any real professional advantage from it. I'm certainly gaining a lot of personal experience, though. That's what it's about. The community that's taken root here, and trying to preserve it.So I appreciate it when someone like Marsden posts about a problem he's seeing.On the other hand, I would appreciate it more if the topic weren't headed "When did SNLF [which should be SNF] start doing pop unders?" and the message didn't start out with "Is this a new feature?". Because that's being purposely provocative. And it's not aimed at Mozilla or Microsoft or something to do with computers; it's aimed at the forums itself. And there's only so much of that we're going to take.-- Scot

Marsden11
Marsden, do you recall what thread you were reading when you got the error message?
Yes, the infamous browser contest thread...I mentioned foregin sites because the one I saw was for Mexican vacations on a German site written in German... Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

Marsden11

Here is another... Roma itialiaVia Andrea Alciato 14-16, Rome L'hotel Waldorf RECENTEMENTE RISTRUTTURATO, è situato in un'area residenziale e commerciale alle spalle della Città del Vaticano e musei vaticani, a soli 100 metri dalla stazione metro Cornelia dove... Maggiori informazioni…

On the other hand, I would appreciate it more if the topic weren't headed "When did SNLF [which should be SNF] start doing pop unders?" and the message didn't start out with "Is this a new feature?". Because that's being purposely provocative. And it's not aimed at Mozilla or Microsoft or something to do with computers; it's aimed at the forums itself. And there's only so much of that we're going to take.-- Scot
You, and the admins, need to be less sensitive. The people in this country make negative/sarcastic/hateful remarks about the their president, their mayor, the leagues' biggest hitter, the team's quarterback, numerous celebrities and etc. It's who we are. If you want to be surrounded by people that only say nice things about you being a celebrity isn't the way to go. Neither is being on the 'net. To use a quote that is often expressed here, "if you don't like it here, leave". And sorry, but I'm not the one that originated it.Another thing the people in this country sometimes do is make direct/blunt/tactless remarks. Sorry. Sometimes its the only way a person knows how to get a point across. :D

You, and the admins, need to be less sensitive.
Why, so you can be as tactless as you want to be and we're supposed to not be offended? Why shouldn't you have to develop some tact and consideration instead?These forums are supplied at no cost to you yet you seem to think the person who supplies them to you should also ignore little jibes made because someone can't think of a polite way to say something? I disagree.We don't expect gratitude. But ingratitude and tactless remarks are unnecessary. There are polite ways of saying things and proper venues for saying them.If we bristle sometimes at comments made here, it's because we put a lot of time into keeping this place a welcoming and friendly place to be, and get our backs up a bit when someone comes along and demeans our efforts. Wouldn't you?
The people in this country make negative/sarcastic/hateful remarks about the their president, their mayor, the leagues' biggest hitter, the team's quarterback, numerous celebrities and etc
Those people are all paid to do what they do. We aren't.

Another thing the people in this country sometimes do is make direct/blunt/tactless remarks. Sorry. Sometimes its the only way a person knows how to get a point across. :D
Ed, this isn't your country. This is our forums. If you can't find a way to get your point across without belittling, attacking, being rude, blunt, crass or tactless, then you can find some other place to hang out.Read the ... Forum Rules.That goes for you or anyone else who has decided to let it all hang out and throw your verbal weight around in an aggressive manor. It's not OK here. There are plenty of other forums where it is.-- Scot

Guest LilBambi

Scot has already spoken on this.I suggest that any who disagree have two choices; (1) either get in line with his wishes for his forums, or (2) find another place to hang out.Please be aware that the last two posts were moved from the open forums.

At this point, this thread is only left open at the extreme tolerance and not unlimited patience of the moderators and admins of these forums, of which I am but one. Anyone else care to test our patience? Because we're about ready to ask folks to take their toys outta here permanently.I want to reaffirm that bringing up things that might be wrong with these forums is the entire purpose of Forum Feedback & Suggestions. We, obviously, welcome constructive feedback and criticism. And the point behind Marsden11's initial post is not only perfectly relevant, but also shows that he's a smart guy who I think had good intentions. What we don't welcome in these here parts is a snide tone, sarcasm, rude comments, and the like.Marsden11 and EdP: If you were to say the things to my face -- or person to person to our mods and admins -- that you sometimes post in these forums, I can guarantee that ... my Irish would be raised. And let me assure you: You Would Not Like The Results.I recommend strongly against allowing the relative anoymity and impersonality of text messages to give you a false sense of power and an unhealthy belief that you can express yourself in whatever way you want -- since no one can get to you. It's true, no one here is going to threaten you with anything but words. But that doesn't make it OK to press everyone's buttons.It's your call how you react. I'd like you to stay around, the both of you. I know you both to be smart, knowledgeable individuals who can contribute to these forums. All I'm asking is that you try to be nice. That's it. I'm not asking you to believe something different or change your opinions about anything. I know that both of you have at times seen yourselves as being the only rationale voices among a sea of people who don't fully understand computer technology -- or perhaps more to the point, the way things work in the computer industry. Again, your insights are valuable. I've been a part of the same establishment you are; I understand your points of view. And many others do too. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. And who's to say who is right or wrong? There is no right answer.The one thing I am asking you -- and others -- to do is to temper the sarcasm and think twice about caustic or pointed, sarcastic comments. It's not helping anyone. Negativity does nothing but give the person expressing it a two-second release from stress. It brings everyone around you down.I would also urge you to dialog sincerely with the other folks here. There are some seriously smart people here. Like you, but with different points of view.We all win if we share these perspectives. No one wins if we're just chest thumping and, in the words of Bruce Springstein, betting our egos on "a last-chance power drive." That's not fun; that's just an unhealthy verbal jousting that, in the words of Shakespeare, is "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."-- Scot

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi