Workgroup not accessible XP and 2003

zillah

I have got 2 PCs (laptop win2003 SP1) and Desktop (windows XP professional SP2). There is no firewall on both PC,,,they are connecting to each other through ADSL Linksys WAG54g V2, they can ping each other, and they can ping the ADSL router, and they can access the internet without any problem. Desktop is connected wired to the router, laptop is connected wirelessly to the router,,,,they are under same workgroup name as well. Recently (suddenly) I tried to access the folders on winXP from win2003 (which is I used to do before without any problem), I recieved this error message:

Workgroup not accessible. You night not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

I have got 2 PCs (laptop win2003 SP1) and Desktop (windows XP professional SP2). There is no firewall on both PC,,,they are connecting to each other through ADSL Linksys WAG54g V2, they can ping each other, and they can ping the ADSL router, and they can access the internet without any problem. Desktop is connected wired to the router, laptop is connected wirelessly to the router,,,,they are under same workgroup name as well. Recently (suddenly) I tried to access the folders on winXP from win2003 (which is I used to do before without any problem), I recieved this error message:
Ahh!!! Where to start?? First of all, it is NOT a hardware problem if both computers can still access the Internet. Have you done anything on either computer to change the user configuration. Did you add any new hardware? Installed any new software? Have you scanned your computers for malware? Go to the command line on both computers and run ipconfig/all and make sure both computers have the same subnet mask and the same domain range. eg: 192.168.x.y where x is the same on both and y is not.Get back with the results.BTW, do you have the XP's drive mapped as a drive on the 2003 or are you trying to access it through "My Network Places?" Edited by lewmur

Have you done anything on either computer to change the user configuration. Did you add any new hardware? Installed any new software?
No.
Have you scanned your computers for malware?
Yes. But I have to do it again.
Go to the command line on both computers and run ipconfig/all and make sure both computers have the same subnet mask and the same domain range. eg: 192.168.x.y where x is the same on both and y is not.
Yes it is. Because both of them they get IP addresses from DHCP ADSL router.
BTW, do you have the XP's drive mapped as a drive on the 2003 or are you trying to access it through "My Network Places?"
"My Network Places" Edited by zillah

"My Network Places"
Then try mapping the drive. If it asks for a user name and password, use "administrator" for the user and the XP machine's administrator's password.

Then try mapping the drive. If it asks for a user name and password, use "administrator" for the user and the XP machine's administrator's password.
I will try this.I tried also run-->cmd-->\\192.168.1.65 (without C$) ,,,I was able to access the C partition and D partition.

Have you tried to Share any folders?
Yes.I am experiencing this problem recently. Before I have got no ptoblem

from which machine did you run the command?
From laptop (win2003)
and for "everyone" to at least read
Yes, when I tried to delete default group "everyone" and add another one , it gave me error message.
perhaps restarting the "server" service on your xp machine would do the trick.
I did not get what you meant , could you please explain it

I tried to map drive from Laptop (win2003) I was able to get in straight away, without using username administrator and his password.

by opening my computer, tools, folder options, view tab, scroll to bottom and un-select "simple file sharing"
It was already un-select (un-tick)
new share (button), permissions (button) add "authenticated users" and grant them the level of permission you desire.
I unshared and shared the partitions (C, D) again (I did press on "Apply" button ) , and I left the default permission which is "everyone" (not for specific group or user ).I was not able to use "My Network Place" to access the XP PC from win2003(i.e same error in my early thread). Edited by zillah

• 2 weeks later...
do you restart your pc's from time to time?
Yes i do , I switch off both PC when I finish my work.Just now (while I am writing this reply) I booted both PCs.

also, there's the master browser toolkit, i have it, but can't seem to find it on ms.send me a message (pm) requisting it & i'll send it to ya... (it lists what type of browser your pc is, where the master browser is, can configure your pc... but that's about it.)
Thanks Temmu for this great effort.

On 2003

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LatitudeD600 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalidEthernet adapter Wireless Network Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless WLAN 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-89-9D-D1 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 214.43.21.21 196.230.242.223 192.168.1.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 26, 2006 10:45:02 AM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 27, 2006 10:45:02 AMEthernet adapter {54E6B58C-8452-4D8E-ACB5-849D52A4090F}: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter - Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
On XP :
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.C:\Documents and Settings\sarooj>ipconfig /allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : p4 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalidEthernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus XtremeG+ DWL-G520+ Wireless PCI Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-88-EF-CD-99Ethernet adapter 3Com First Row: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC(3C905B-TX) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-5A-6D-31-A5 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.65 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 214.43.21.21 196.230.242.223 192.168.1.1 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 26, 2006 6:36:25 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 27, 2006 6:36:25 PM
on each pc, is the computer browser service set to automatic, and is it started?
I forgot to answer this, yes it is.
on the wireless laptop, can you browse the internet?
Yes I can.

is the "tcp/ip netbios helper" service started? is it set to automatic?would you please stop and start both the "computer browser" and the "tcp/ip netbios helper" service?
I did , the same porblem is still going on.

would you please stop and start both the "computer browser" and the "tcp/ip netbios helper" service?
I restarted the server , now it is ok, I hope this will be the end of the this issue.

Andrewgmurphy

For those of you still stuck i have found a way around it. It is simply a small problem with the registry on the computer. to fix itIt works with most XP Pro and Home Editions.1. Start > Run > regedit.exe2. Go toHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlLsa3. Change the value of a key called "restrictanonymous" to 0 instead of 1 or 2.4. Don't change "restrictanonymoussam" value.5. The value should be REG_DWORD and Hexadecimal Base. (That's the default for that key)6. Restart your computer and access the resources on that PC, it should work properly.