The Software Hall of Fame!

FuzzButt

I guess I should learn how to make a search for freeware.
Nonags.com, tucows.com, Downloads.com.Not all the programs on these sites are freeware, but they all have the option of specifing that you want to search only free ware.
Thanks Sonic Dragon. I couldn't find "i diary". I went to 1 of your sites and am now trying Defender Diary. I went to Nonags.

<snip>I had "i diary" installed on my computer for a short time before it crashed. Now I don't have "i diary" any more, and I miss it. Does anyone know where I can get another copy of this freeware? <snip>
Here is a link to a site for "e diary". Is this what you meant?http://www.teenediary.com
Thanks for helping me find "i diary". I mean trying to help me find it. I just downloaded "Diary Defender", but I still want to find "i diary".

... almost forgot one of my all-time favourites:PAINT !
you're joking, right? please tell you're joking. ;)MS Paint . . . doesnt even support PNG images.
Actually, it does--or at least the XP version. Just don't try to tell it "transparency." :D OK, PNG support is awful. Just like it is in their browser--whatever that program is called.Now, to scour around the forums for any Mozilla news or start a thread myself. If you haven't seen their homepage recently... :o :D

I like Outlook XP too. I would also like to mention an favorite in our office: PhoneSlips. It is an excellent interoffice phone message software. But then of course I also like:ActiveWordsShowCalcKarenware: Autorun.inf Editor

I'd like to nominate a divx/avi movie player that i recently tried and can't live without now.its called BSPlayer. it's freeware, skinnable, handles every codec flawlessly, and is so un-bloated its amazing. loads super fast, not like Media Player v8 and v9.think all the power and speed of Media Player Classic (v6) and add an easy interface like WMP v9 or WinDVD, and add the amazing skins and you should have a good picture what it's like. and i never had any video stuttering or audio/video sync loss as i usually get with some other free players out there.try it, you might just get hooked quickly like i did. :rolleyes:

This is my Hall-Of-Fame List...2. Notepad (simply the best)...
You're kidding, right? Paint and Notepad!Notepad hasn't changed since Windows 3.1. It can still only handle 64kb files and has NO features.There are about a zillion better replacements out there. I use Notepad+ which seamlessly replaces MS Notepad. Then there's Notepad++, EditPad etc etc etc

This is my Hall-Of-Fame List...2. Notepad (simply the best)...
You're kidding, right? Paint and Notepad!Notepad hasn't changed since Windows 3.1. It can still only handle 64kb files and has NO features.There are about a zillion better replacements out there. I use Notepad+ which seamlessly replaces MS Notepad. Then there's Notepad++, EditPad etc etc etcWhoops - hiccups, sorry.

:ph34r: I like OE using email filters to tune my inbox. Mandrake 9.1 Power Pack is great. Executive Software's Diskeeper 7.0 Home Edition keeps my Partitions defragged and quick.

Notepad hasn't changed since Windows 3.1. It can still only handle 64kb files and has NO features.
Actually, Notepad in Windows XP finally breaks the 64 KB barrier.It was imposed by the standard Windows edit control, a.k.a. textbox. Most of the replacements simply use a rich edit control instead, which allows for virtually unlimited file sizes. (And it can be used for either rich text or plain.)Still was an awful program until recently. Not that it's great, but now it's at least "normal." It remebers Word Wrap, file size isn't an issue, and we even get find *and* replace features.

• 2 weeks later...

I nominate GoBack which comes with Norton Systemworks. It has saved my bacon so many times when my computer has hung up. It gets my computer back to exactly where it was at a known previous time. Unlike the restore program in winxp, it restores all files, not just the OS files.

I nominate FDISK.EXE, the perfect tool that always fixes all my windows crashes and headaches with one simple command, DELETE PARTITION, Are you Sure? YES. :)

SonicDragon
I nominate FDISK.EXE, the perfect tool that always fixes all my windows crashes and headaches with one simple command, DELETE PARTITION, Are you Sure? YES. 
hehehe :lol: B)

Can we please get the suggestion of PAINT removed from this list! Please! Gag me with a spoon!I will beg and I will even throw tantrums, if need be! I have seen so many poor novice attempt to do stuff with that %^&* program that has no excuse for even being called scumware!I beg of you Scot! Get it removed from this list!The mention of it is a total disservice to this whole Great community!I will even promise not to post anything here for a week, if I must! :blink:

lol @ PAINTbut without MS Paint, how would Teacher be able to make new avatars? ;) (hehe, just razing you, teacher. ya know we all love your avatars)

Great topic Fuzzbutt! :DMy Hall of Fame has to start with Trillian Pro!Trillian is the best way to keep in touch with all your IM friends.  It works with AOL IM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, and even has an IRC client built in! I bought the Pro version to show my support for the program, but the free version is great!  No ads, no spyware, nothing bad!  Second would be Rainlendar.  It's a very nice little calendar program that sits unobtrusively (and mostly transparent) on my desktop reminding me of the day!  You can even add reminder notes to each day! ;)  I also use Rainmeter from the same site...  it's a great sysinfo meter (even has the gkrellm skin available! :D ).Third is Mozilla Firebird.  I love this browser, and while it's still got some shortcomings, and is only beta version 0.6, it's still IMO the best browser available!  :D  Probably have more, but these are the three best programs on my machine! :D
Golf Pro is doing a good job of telling others about Rainlendar.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if it applies, but The new Google Tool bar for IE Since the ISA server prevents me from using Firebird, it's nice to have this add on to IE to block pop-up adds. Actually, I'm still getting used to it being there and not having to find the link to google in my Favorites.It has a lot of nice features that I'm still learning. <_<

OK, some more controversial ones (I've read the entire Hall of Shame and know there's going to be controversy!):    * Kazaa 2.1    * Paint Shop Pro 4    * AIM    * Internet Explorer 5 (although I prefer Mozilla)    * Windows XP
Paint Shop Pro 4? They are up to like version 8 now. I've only used 7 (so i guess i can't really argue), but 8 is getting good reviews. I'd also like to nominate Paint Shop Pro. It's a pretty nice graphics program for all of us that don't want to pay that much for photoshop.

Paint Shop Pro 4? They are up to like version 8 now. I've only used 7 (so i guess i can't really argue), but 8 is getting good reviews. I'd also like to nominate Paint Shop Pro. It's a pretty nice graphics program for all of us that don't want to pay that much for photoshop.
same here, Paint Shop Pro is the best!i've used it since version 3. 3,4,5 were amazing. 6 and 7 were not my favorites. but version 8 is sweet, especially its redesigned interface.

• 1 month later...

IrfanViewNoteTabHomesite V5Been using it since Nick Bradbry still owned it and haven't found anything better.CSE Html Validator Pro100% integration with Homesite and NoteTabSmartFTPEasy to use.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorites are these:ClipMate - unbelievably useful clipboard manager. Cut/copy items 1,2,3...n in source app then paste 1,2,3...n in destination app instead of bouncing back and forth between apps. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Explode a tab, comma, etc. delimited clip into its fragments. Do yourself a favor and check it out. Some unique editing features, too. :thumbsup: DZSoft Past & Save - free; logs clipboard to a file. You should get ClipMate for $25 (it is worth every cent), but if you have no money, you gotta have at least this.RoboForm - you never have to struggle with passwords again while surfing with IE or Netscape. Fill in a form once, RoboForm can fill it each time you go back to that page or site. I only wish it supported Opera.HTML-Kit - free; powerful HTML, CSS, etc. editorPPWizard - free; powerful html preprocessor. It's like using INCLUDE files in a programing language, and it does logic, too.Startup Cop - free; control what starts at boot (not only from startup folder!) Proxomitron - free; highly configurable Web filtering and pop-up blocking software. XXCOPY - free; like XCOPY but much more. I use it to make and update image backups of logical drives. IE New Window Maximizer - free; if you hate it that IE opens in any window size that fits its mood at the moment; this makes each open maximized.PowerArchiver - compression utility, I like the user interface, and its many options. Can also make archives over 4GB, and does disk (or CD) spanning.QuickLaunch - free; define hotkeys to launch apps, open files or foldersBreezebrowser - if you have a Canon digital camera, you gotta get this for viewing, rotating, converting, and weeding out your pix.Teffy

XXCOPY - free; like XCOPY but much more. I use it to make and update image backups of logical drives.
thanks for the recommendation. gonna have to check it out for my backup needs.p.s. - is there any XXXCOPY by any chance? ya know, to categorize and manage vast image databases of.... oh, never mind. ;)

Cluttermagnet
but version 8 is sweet, especially its redesigned interface.
Yea, i can't wait to use it!
Mondo cool, but even PSP 5 and 6, each on a different Windows box of mine, are all I could ever ask for and more. I love PSP in general and have never suffered under version 7 which several others complained about. Probably they have redeemed themselves with v.8. Please let us know how you like it.

but version 8 is sweet, especially its redesigned interface.
Yea, i can't wait to use it!
Mondo cool, but even PSP 5 and 6, each on a different Windows box of mine, are all I could ever ask for and more. I love PSP in general and have never suffered under version 7 which several others complained about. Probably they have redeemed themselves with v.8. Please let us know how you like it.
i really like v8. interface is just so well streamlined. and the 'blending' tools and backround eraser and edge softener and red eye remover work so dang fine. :)

p.s. - is there any XXXCOPY by any chance?  ya know, to categorize and manage vast image databases of....  oh, never mind.  :P
Actually, I use (and love) IMatch to "categorize and manage vast image databases." Its dynamic categories ability, built-in scripting, and handling of removable media are great! 30-day trial, $50 to buy. Teffy

Cluttermagnet

I found a great little freeware .mp3 editor I really like. Posted as a separate message but I thought I would also put a link to that in this Hall of Fame thread. mp3DirectCut is a surprisingly good utility and is very small. For its limited purposes, it seems to work very well indeed. Check it out. :lol: Oh, I don't really know if it deserves fame or not, but at least I'm impressed. :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest martinultima

OK, new favorites:

• 98lite - remove Internet Explorer from Win98, also switch to 95 shell or 98 shell w/o web integration. I've known about it a while, finally downloaded a while ago to speed up an older laptop of mine with Win98SE. (I have 4.5 preview, works for me. Typing this on the machine and works way better w/Mozilla Firebird than IE5.)

• 5 weeks later...

Of all the soft ware I have the one that I am most impressed with, and also get the most benefit from is Directory Opus from GP softIt is a great replacement for windows explorer, has built in so many functions, that I used to have lots of little programs trying to do.It was one I think is well worth the money. It is also a work in progress and keeps getting better.