The Software Hall of Fame!

FuzzButt

are you talking about FrontPage 2002? the one that comes with Office Xp? I've tried it. it's still a joke. feels like MS Word with extra buttons.is there a newer one?

Guest LilBambi

Here's a few I wouldn't want to live without:[*] Just about anything from AnalogX FREE - HyperTrace, NetstatLive, CookieWall, ScriptDefender, SuperShredder. I also have , BanishCD, DHCPFix, POW and several others which I sometimes use. All AnalogX programs are super lightweight and do a great job on their respective task.[*] TweakUI and Xteq Systems X-Setup - FREE[*] Pegasus Mail - FREE - The new version is exceptional and has won this OE ONLY user right back into the Pegasus fold after using OE for many years! HTML email will never again be a problem and I can use my email preview without concern because NO scripts will run in Pegasus mail. And best of all, it now allows flat viewing of folders and emails in one view and check multiple emails within one Identity.[*] - DAWN - FREE - the Address Converter and Manager. Does a great job! Converted my pretty intense address book from OE to Pegasus Mail and did a great job, only minor changes needed. Now that's a first. Converts to many different email programs.[*] Nero - Better than anything ROXIO in Win98SE and comes FREE with some CD Burners.[*] SpyBot S&D (Search and Destroy) - FREE - I think this is the best Spyware and Adware removal product. Even safely removes NEWDOTNET without killing internet connection. New version is even better than previous version.[*] ZoneAlarm - FREE for personal use - The free verison works well for me in Win98SE.[*] Orbitron FREE - Keep track of the ISS and Shuttle (when they start flying again) location so you will know when they will be visible over your area. Lot of great features. NASA type 'screen' screensaver and program.[*] AVG - FREE - Grisoft's Anti-Virus software - free for personal use.[*] Easy Thumbnails - Excellent thumbnail creator with many features not found in other thumbnail creator software for Windows.--Macromedia's Dreamweaver is absolutely killer and a tremendous resource hog too LOL! It even has CSS and PHP support now. Many great plugins available. Very expensive. Combinations of some free tools and some not so free tools would be needed to come close, but they are available.Splitting images up for mapping click areas (through maps or javascripts) is available for a fee from a variety of for a fee and free programs. Here's just one, Splitz! See this page for URL for various pieces of the puzzle ;) --These are just a few! Wow, I only just got started! I could be here all day! B)EDIT: Removed Mozilla/Firebird since this program is not an established program as yet, despite it's stability, but is still in development and probably would not classify as a real candidate for the "Hall of Fame" yet.

Edited by LilBambi

"Thanks for the memories...", Fran. B) Agree with those choices, as I used just about all of them. ;) Here's one that havenot heard anyone mention (forgive me if someone has); it's free, works on all Windows platforms, very low resource usage, very clean interface:Whisper32Hope you all like it...if you try it. B)

SonicDragon
Pegasus Mail - FREE - The new version is exceptional and has won this OE ONLY user right back into the Pegasus fold after using OE for many years! HTML email will never again be a problem and I can use my email preview without concern because NO scripts will run in Pegasus mail. And best of all, it now allows flat viewing of folders and emails in one view and check multiple emails within one Identity.
I used Pegasus a long time back, before i switched to Mozilla. Since then i have been using Mozilla Mail. But, i've got to try the new version anyway :)

<<are you talking about FrontPage 2002?>>No! I'm talking FrontPage 2003...
ummm, okay.... can we maybe stick to final products, not beta products that will be out late summer? :) i read up on Frontpage 2003, and many are saying they will finally have all features that dreamweaver has plus more. but comparing dreamweaver MX to Frontpage 2002 is more fair, as i'm sure macromedia will release a new dreamweaver version sometimes this year, so we'll see how those two stack up then.

The word "fair" is not in my vocabulary. Any software product that helps me get "the job" done without blowing up, hanging my system, or hosing code... is acceptable. Anyone can order Office System 2003 and only pay for shipping. To play with DreamWeaver cost considerablly more. But then I'm dealing with huge amounts of XML data. I needed a tool that was built around XML...The fact that I have the beta of FP and the fact that it works as advertised... what is wrong with comparing? You have tool "A" on one side and tool "B" on the other. You have a task at hand and I choose the tool that gets the job done. It comes down to the most bang for the buck!

Cluttermagnet
::cringes at the word "table," especially when it's mentioned THREE times deep::  :)
i hear you, but [TABLE] beats any [FRAME] layout anyday :)
Regarding frames websites, this link may be of interest: To Frame, Or Not To Frame? The article, written in 1999, is a bit dated, but its central points are as valid today as they were then. On some major websites, frames are used to good advantage, and certainly the current crop of browsers has no problems handling them. There still are problems with frames implementations, however. Far too many sites use them poorly and not the least bit out of necessity. I can greatly appreciate a frames site when it is well executed and _necessary_, and I do see such sites from time to time. Unfortunately, these are only a small minority of frames sites. :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi
Any software product that helps me get "the job" done without blowing up, hanging my system, or hosing code... is acceptable
LOL! Very, very true!However, I think what Prelude was basically trying to say is that in a software "Hall of Fame," the software would be pretty much established. As a matter of fact, I went back and took out Mozilla/Firebird for this same reason. It is stable, but it is not an established program yet, it is still in development.Software that is not officially released might not be considered a 'real' candidate...yet. :rolleyes:

I nominate Mozilla's Firebird 0.6 for the Hall of Fame. I started using it several months ago in version 0.5 and have been using 0.6 since it came out. I switch back to IE6 occasionally and am quickly reminded why I like Firebird so much. It is more stable than IE6, and this is only a Beta (or is it Alpha). It is small, about 6Mb download. It is fast. It automatically imports IE Favorites. It is accurate. In all my use I have only found one web page that won't work, and that is a Credit Union Visa Card application that requires IE or Netscape. I love it. I can't imagine how good it will be when it gets to version 1.0 and is released.I also nominate OpenOffice.Org version 1.3, the open source software suite. I am a long time Microsoft Offilce User. It has programs that do what Excel, Word and Powerpoint do, plus some other. It will use Microsoft Office file formats for both reading and writing if you wish, or use its own format, which compresses files as it saves them for much smaller files. It reads and displays MS Office files exactly as MS Office displays them with a great deal of accuracy. It has lots of options to fine tune how it operates. I find that I am using OpenOffice.Org all the time now. I like it better than MSOffice, and it is free, free, free -- he, he, he -- free, free, free. I paid big bucks for a wounded (won't install on my laptop) copy of MS Office when I bought my present desktop computer. Never again.Rorp

Stuff I use every day, or wish that I could!SitePadPro - I develop Java-based applications and this is the editor I use 100% of the time. From www.modelworks.com.CutListPlus - When I make cabinets I use this app to figure out the best way to cut up sheets of plywood, track inventory, etc.Eudora and Opera are my standards for e-mail and browsing.Breezebrowser (www.breezesys.com), ACDSee 5.0, Web Album Generator (www.ornj.net), and PhotoShop for digital image gathering, editing, and publishing to the web.

cool_techie

My nominations:-Winamp 2.xNorton AVXOSLRanish partition managerDirectory SnoopEraser (the best)WinzipTripwire(for linux)Mulitsim Demo(Student Vesrion)Xing Mpeg PlayerVCD ClipperX-teq

Guest Loque

Here are my Hall of Famers .......Ad-AwareSpyBotAgent NewsreaderLarsn Taskinfo 2002SnagitAOL Instant MessengerWebshotsQlockTurboNotesNorton AVZone AlarmBelarc Advisor

I have to throw my had in the ring for a program that I keep coming back to for 70% of my digital image work. MGI Photosuite 4. They may even have a newer version out, but this is very intuitive software. Things are well organized, and logically found, and there is a formidable amount of manipulative tools. Slide shows are very well managed, down to seconds of display, method of transition, and other things that just turn up where you need them. I also use Photoshop 7, and a handful of other packages. :rolleyes:

Software that is not officially released might not be considered a 'real' candidate...yet.  ;)
exact-o-mundo, bambi. ya read my mind.i was just saying that current version, FP 2002, is a friggin' joke. FP 2003, for those beta testing it, seems like a vast improvement. i read articles that they re-invented frontpage and its like a brand new product, not an upgrade. and its supposed to rock for XML coding. we shall see.but nominating beta software for hall of fame is a bit premature. let's wait for next year. B) also, many people nominated some unique networking server tools. thats also a bit silly for a Hall of Fame list, programs that average joes never heard of and never would need.but in same light, maybe specialized programs that cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars like Photoshop or Dreamweaver is also silly, so i take dreamweaver off the list too. otherwise, i'd have to nominate SolidWorks 2003, the best 3D design tool ever made, but at $5,000 a seat, not really an option. :rolleyes:

New member, but long time reader. I agree w/ most of the nominated programs but want to add 2 that I can't live without. These are both outliner/organizers that are invaluable for keeping track of all types of info.KeyNote 1.6.1 - calls itself a "tabbed notebook for win 95/98/NT/2000/XP". freewareMaple 4.4 - calls itself "... a useful user-friendly document manager that enables you to create your own hierarchical trees for storing information such as documents, notes, and images." 30 day trial version available.I can't decide which I like better, so I have used them both for several years.

Here are my Hall of Famers .......Ad-AwareSpyBotAgent NewsreaderLarsn Taskinfo 2002SnagitAOL Instant MessengerWebshotsQlockTurboNotesNorton AVZone AlarmBelarc Advisor
ad-aware/spybot - good nominations, but having both on a system is overkill. if i had to pick one, i think Spybot is better.AOL IM - try Trillian. you wont ever go back. :rolleyes: webshots - glad i'm not the only that loves this program. its the BEST screen saver/desktop picture manager. i love it!Norton AV - they are good at catching viruses, but are bloating up more and more every year. i prefer the corporate version, Symantec AV. same product, 90% less fat.ZoneAlarm - used to love it, but strange memory leaks recently with my P2P and massive bloat made me rethink its value. i fell for Kerio Firewall instantly and wont look back.

Guest LilBambi

Actually, I don't think you can overkill on Spyware killers (well maybe if you enable the always running - TSR - type features, which I do not use).I use both Ad-aware and SpyBot ... mainly because Ad-aware my clients use for ease of use. My preference is SpyBot and use it mainly for me and because it is speedier in its very done scanning.But I use both together because one will of them will always be ahead ... this week it's SpyBot and next week it will be Ad-aware. Just covering all the bases.It's not like antivirus software that has TSRs running all the time for real time scanning -- unless you use the TSR functions of one of them. Then I would definitely agree.Weshots - sorry, have to pass on this one. Had a problem on client computer related to this program recently.

Scott,My candidate for the Hall of Fame would be PMView 2000 as the best digital picture viewer/editor on the market. No, it is not as powerful an editor as some that are more expensive like Coral Draw or Photo Shop, but it is much easier to use. For all the normal things we do to our pictures such as cropping, brightness/contrast, changing size, etc it is just so simple to use that my daughter could do it when she was three.At $80 US for the downloaded version it can't be beat. B) It especially stars as a picture viewer since it has a simple dialog to select a directory and a picture by double clicking the thumbnail, then Page Down/Page Up lets you scroll thru the directory as needed. It also has settings that will resize a picture bigger than your screen to fit the screen while retaining the original on disk. Great for 4 MP pictures on a 1024x768 screen. Of course any editing or cropping applies to the larger picture.It is also the best picture converter around since it can handle almost any format and convert it to any other format in it's list.All in all a great program.

My top 3 candidates for the Hall of Fame:Corel WordPerfect (any version). It beats MS Word hands down, IMO. The best feature is REVEAL CODES, which lets you see exactly what feature causes what formatting, etc. It's far easier to straighten out complex documents that the "experimentation" model that Word uses.Describer: a handy little shareware utility that lets you attach comments to folders and files. It's extremely useful when you can't remember what some cryptically named program is for.Sibelius: Music notation software. This program does for music what the word processor does for text. There are imitators out there (such as Finale and Coda), but this industrial-strength program does it all - even letting you publish from a MIDI keyboard. Extremely powerful with modest system requirements, and fantastic tech support! B)

This is my Hall-Of-Fame List1. Opera 7 browser (I only use IE if I absolutely have to)2. Notepad (simply the best)3. ZTreeWin (An absolutely marvelous XTree clone)4. Karen's Replicator (Does all my backups automatically) FREEWARE!5. Zoomplayer (Displays about any existing video-format) FREEWARE!6. Irfan View (The best there is) FREEWARE!7. WINDOWS 98SE(btw: I liked Netscape 4.x very much, it was my first browser and it worked quite well, whereas IE was always a p.i.t.a. B) But since the appearance of Netscape 6 I changed to Opera and never looked back)

SonicDragon
AOL IM - try Trillian. you wont ever go back. 
Yea, you gotta love Trillian. It's what i use 100 % of the time for chat :angry:
I use both Ad-aware and SpyBot
Ditto :angry:

(btw: I liked Netscape 4.x very much, it was my first browser and it worked quite well, whereas IE was always a p.i.t.a. :lol: But since the appearance of Netscape 6 I changed to Opera and never looked back)
Have you tried Netscape 7.1 at all? Netscape 6 was really buggy, if you could get it to even start, but I didn't need to tell you that. ;) However, 7.0 and 7.1 (even 6.2) are much better. Opera's good too, though. As a Web designer, I don't care *what* people use so long as it's not Internet Explorer for Windows (although I'd be quite happy if they used anything earlier but not equal to IE version 3.0). If you're up for it, you might want to give Netscape 7.1 a try--and if the interface is an issue, the Classic theme does an ... okay ... job of simulating Communicator's appearance, especially if you're not on XP using Luna.Running a hopeless campaign for an IE-less Web,- Robert :D

Software Hall of Fame Nominees:ZoneAlarm - best FREE :P firewallPasskeeper32 - store passwords by account/website in an encrypted, password protected format. FREE ;) MP3Gain - adjusts gain on your MP3 files, eliminates audio "clipping". FREE :o Proxomitron - Web filtering and pop-up blocking software. FREE :o Ad-Aware - Anti-spyware utility FREE :o e-Sword - Bible Software. FREE :lol:

SonicDragon
Sibelius: Music notation software. This program does for music what the word processor does for text. There are imitators out there (such as Finale and Coda), but this industrial-strength program does it all - even letting you publish from a MIDI keyboard. Extremely powerful with modest system requirements, and fantastic tech support!
oooOOooo! I don't do much MIDI, but everything here is set up for it. I'll have to give Sibelius a look.<edit>Downloadable non-saveing demo only B)</edit>

The topic is software to the hall of fame. I had "i diary" installed on my computer for a short time before it crashed. Now I don't have "i diary" any more, and I miss it. Does anyone know where I can get another copy of this freeware? I thought it was pretty good, but I don't know if it's good enough to be in the hall of fame.

... almost forgot one of my all-time favourites:PAINT !Can do a lot of things but is not as voluminous and overstuffed as most commercial programs. Since XP it can even save pics as jpg or other types - older versions only knew bmp (never would have thought that MS would upgrade this oldie). AND IT'S FOR FREE. :)

<snip>I had "i diary" installed on my computer for a short time before it crashed. Now I don't have "i diary" any more, and I miss it. Does anyone know where I can get another copy of this freeware? <snip>
Here is a link to a site for "e diary". Is this what you meant?http://www.teenediary.com

... almost forgot one of my all-time favourites:PAINT !Can do a lot of things but is not as voluminous and overstuffed as most commercial programs. Since XP it can even save pics as jpg or other types - older versions only knew bmp (never would have thought that MS would upgrade this oldie). AND IT'S FOR FREE.  B)
you're joking, right? please tell you're joking. ;)MS Paint can't even auto-crop past window size because mouse doesnt scroll along image. it doesnt even support PNG images, and the recent JPG addition that is about 8 years behind times doesnt even have Quality setting and defaults to an extremely rough-looking JPG. its text selector, once text is dropped, cannot be edited, moved, or font size changed. Calling Paint a graphics editor is like calling Notepad a Document editor. you never use Notepad for your resume, so you dont ever use Paint to touch your digital pictures.

<snip>I had "i diary" installed on my computer for a short time before it crashed. Now I don't have "i diary" any more, and I miss it. Does anyone know where I can get another copy of this freeware? <snip>
Here is a link to a site for "e diary". Is this what you meant?http://www.teenediary.com
E diary. No e diary probably isn't what I'm looking for. "I diary" is freeware. I guess I should learn how to make a search for freeware. It might be in "Smart certify downloads", but they won't let me get to those downloads.