The Software Hall of Fame!

FuzzButt

• 3 weeks later...
Sequoia View - cushioned treemap view. For those overstuffed hard drives with no apparent cause. I found a 1.4GB win.tmp file today on a 3.8GB drive. :blink:It looks kind of weird, but once you get used to it, it's great! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I nominate Total Uninstall for the hall of fame.This is a freeware utility that gets rid of the lame applications you try but decide to trash.I would be afraid to try most of the freeware I find if not for this program.It takes a snapshot of the registry and file system before the install and compares it with the snapshot it takes after the install. It allows you to undo 99% of the changes that most apps make to your system.Total UninstallI use this nearly every day because I have a small freeware review site and I am always trying new programs out.

• 1 month later...
Oldies but goodies.
Indeed. I loved my ProComm and the scripts you could program for it. LapLink was very useful before we got things networked. Xtree I never cared as much for, I preferred PC Valet instead. In fact I still have it on some of my Win 98 boot disks.

Oldies but goodies.
Indeed. I loved my ProComm and the scripts you could program for it. LapLink was very useful before we got things networked. Xtree I never cared as much for, I preferred PC Valet instead. In fact I still have it on some of my Win 98 boot disks.
Edp,i caught one of your other posts referring to an old script you had written for a 2400 baud modem!Historical :lol: :lol: or is that hysterical? :) patio B)p.s. tinkering with XTRee years back i stripped out all unneeded components and pared it down to size to a bootable floppy with all the features... very handy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Bobi-p.What operating system are you using?If you click on the link to download "Rainlendar" again does the download window show you where it will put the file? Usually, but certainly not always, it's in the My Documents folder, sometimes under the Downloads subfolder. But sometimes it's on the Desktop, though that doesn't appear to be the location in your case. :)

start a search on your system for " RainlendarInstaller.exe " or " Rainlendar-version number.exe " ,depending on the version you downloaded : that will show you the location to where you downloaded it on your system. (Last version was 0.19.3)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, I'm just getting statred here so bare with me if my favorite software has already been mentioned. First, I no longer could live without Yankee Clipper the clipboard utility. Now in X version and better than ever. We all do a lot of installing and un-installing of programs. Total Uninstall is the ticket if you want to remove all changes that a program puts on your computer when you installed it. Tired of those pesky pop-ups and spyware being dumped on your computer? Try AdsGone, a very nice program with regular updating features. I could go on as I have many programs that I found and installed over the years but lets see if these three are able to help out any of you. DasBosun.

helloi like the program Eraser . i have used this for deleting trojins and spyware and files nothing else would touch. some times to kill trojins you need to run eraser from safe mode. and over writing a trojins the best practice to kill removing the file headers like in deleting to windows trash may not actually kill some trojins. of course with there file header gone theres a good chance of them being over written by next file you d/l or move etc. but not always and some can still open back doors after a windows delete. and even move them selfs. well enough on trojins giving script kiddies ideas.http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ :thumbsup:

Open Office. ***Irfanview (seems very popular) . ****Agent Ransack. ****Mandrake Linux (so you now know my level on the curve). *****Mozilla 1.7 and up and up ...... ****Firefox.***** On a scale of 1 to 5 stars ! B)

Scott,I'd like to nominate UltraEdit to the Hall of Fame.  It's been a solid product for a long time and it's developer is always available for issues and or suggestions.
UltraEdit IS a very good Hex/Text editor, I use itin place of notepad and wordpad!!

• 2 weeks later...
The topic is software to the hall of fame. I had "i diary" installed on my computer for a short time before it crashed. Now I don't have "i diary" any more, and I miss it. Does anyone know where I can get another copy of this freeware? I thought it was pretty good, but I don't know if it's good enough to be in the hall of fame.
I finally found the diary I was looking for. It's called I daily diary. It works really well, and it's free. It's from http://www.splinterware.com, if anyone is interested.

Microsoft Streets and Trips is a fantastic program (if you need it). Usually available for under twenty bucks after rebate. I've used it many times to plan trips, and the driving directions are extremely good. Massive database, including restaurants, hotels, etc.

• 2 months later...

Only frequent use and comparison with other products show the merits of software you can nominate.I nominate:- Windows XP Pro. Well, it is an operating system and not application software, right, but without an operating system you are not able to run any kind of application software - first check the fundament on which you run any application. When the operating system is not stable enough or does not support your work well, then there is no need to evaluate application software at all. I have run all kind of Windows operating systems, but none of them is such stable, flexible, powerful, and application friendly. This is why it comes first. I have evaluated several Linux versions including Suse and RedHat considering security, safety, user interface, daily work support, supported applications - I always returned to Windows XP Pro.- MS Internet Explorer is my second, because it still excels competitor products. There are many aspects to consider like standards, security, and flexibility. I have evaluated most of other competitors and always returned to Internet Explorer.- MS FrontPage is my third, because I need a fundament to store and develop ideas, outline topics and connect all by links and with other documents. I have checked many outliners and free structured databases like TreePad up to content management systems like Typo3 with MySQL support. None of them is such easy to use, flexible for extensions, easy to integrate with hyperlinked documents, websites and powerful enough like MS FrontPage. Highly recommended for private unstructured and linked dabases. Tip: To search across your linked documents use Lookout of Outlook, blindingly fast indexing of your enumerated folders to search.- MS Office is used for daily office work and I do not regret it. I need the power, flexibility and user friendly interface. Last and not least the identical office feeling and interface across all applications. - For emails and contact work I still use MS Outlook, flexible and powerful enough for every day use. Competitor products are not such powerful and user friendly.- For reading newsgroups after evaluating many clients I recommend 40tude Dialog. It is powerful, flexible and stable. - For searching internet I use Google and Copernic Agent Pro.Of course I use other software as well but the above come first.

Guest Paracelsus

Good Choices to highlight, PlukaDuk!!!While I frequently need to add words to their dictionaries....Both of these tools are well used!! :thumbsup:

While I frequently need to add words to their dictionaries....
:P I think most of us here can relate to that. Someone needs to develop "nerd" addons for these things. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

My Hall of FameProxomitron-the Ultimate Web Filter using sidki3000's config setOpera Browser-the fastest browser on earthSygate Personal Firewall-solid internet protectionIrfanview - the best image viewerRegseeker - registry optimizing toolNotetab Lite

• 4 months later...

My Favorite all time program is Paltalk (www.paltalk.com) This talk program is free or for the bells and whistles buy it. I've used it for 3 years and have found it very usefull when I needed help. Seems like you can always find a room that relates to your needs. The tech help rooms are very usefull. My #2 is PicoPhone . Its free at http://www.vitez.it/picophone/index.html. Just run it (it doesnt install just runs from its folder) onyour computer and another computer anywhere. (Ive talked to buddies in Austrailia, UK, all over the US) then with it running just put in your buddies IP and it rings on his computer.

• 5 months later...

Ab Word <word processor>Ad Aware SE Bel ArcBHO Demon 2Browser Hijack RetaliatorCFI Shell ToysCookie Pal 7cCounter Spy by SunBelt and now owned by**Dustbuster XP <Great usless file & items remover>E-Mail Stripper <removes those> from your e-mail>Gadwin Print Screen <Best screen shot utility IMHO> GiPo@Utilities (move on boot) <Good to have deletion tool>HDD Life <Checks the temperature & life cycle of HD>Lavalys EVEREST Home Edition <Same as Bel Arc, list all your machines info>M$ AntiSpyware UtilityMini Apps & Mini Apps 2MRU Blaster <Best D*** Most Recently Used remover>MusicMatch & M$ MediaPlayer 10Norton's Go Back........The best utility ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Power Toys for XPRegistry Tune UpRoxio Easy Media creatorSnagIt 6Spoofstick IESpyBot search & DestorySpyware BlasterSpyware GuardSweepi <great clean up utility>Sure DeleteTrojan RemoverWeather GrabberWeb Roots, Window washerWinDriverBackUpWinPatrolWinZipXP AntiSpyZone Alarm ProWord Web 1 Click AnswersI might have missed one or two. And if one noticed the above for the most part are all FREE!I got most from Broni, posting at www.smartestcomputing.us.com

Edited by mlurp

• 8 months later...

:D Looks like Irfanview is the most valuable player. I can't argue with that. It's very handy.My can't live without apps are:Exact Audio Copyhttp://www.exactaudiocopy.de/It makes THE best mp3 rips I've ever found. Did I mention it's free? (Actually, it's 'postcardware.')And there are any number of well written guides to tweaking the settings to produce sparkling sounds for your listening pleasure.DOS 5When the bomb goes off and we are just getting started again as a civilization, I hope there's some DOS 5 somewhere to help us get it back together

Edited by laeva65

• 8 months later...

Nominated already: Textpad, Photoshop, Netscape 7Odd things I use a lot: FTP Navigator, TC Monitor (freeware part of "The Cleaner"), tables in MS WordTwo favorites from ten years ago working at a magazine with old MACs: z-term, organicer (the best $7 shareware program I ever registered, I sent a check to some kid in Norway).Common software I'm surprised no one mentioned: Quicken, HR Block Tax-Cut8-bit memory: RogueBest one-hour problem solvers: Norton Disc Doctor, Partition MagicOdd personal preferences: Adobe Go-Live and In-Design over Dreamweaver and Quark XPress

• 4 months later...

I've been preparing a review of EverNote for Lockergnome, and I can't express how impressed I am with this note-taking and note-storage application.From their site:

All Your Notes in One PlaceWith EverNote, all your notes are stored in one convenient place: an endless digital roll of paper. No need to search through folders, files, bookmarked web pages or scraps of paper.Take Notes in Any FormatEverNote works with all types of notes, including Text Notes, Web/HTML, Digital Ink, and many types of images.Fast Search & RetrievalMultiple methods for finding notes: visually, by time, categories, automatic labeling and keywords.Categories, Not FoldersNo need to limit your notes to one folder; you can assign multiple categories to your notes for easy organization and retrieval.NEW! AIR-search in imagesSearch photos and graphics stored in your notes to find embedded typed or handwritten text. Use it for snapshots of whiteboards, product labels, in-store packaging and pricing, business cards, trade show badges, and more.
It's available as freeware, shareware and as a mobile application. I use the paid version, but the free version is full-featured enough for the casual user. No longer do I have to open a notepad app to copy text to then open My Documents to find a place to store the info. Now I simply click the taskbar EverNote icon and paste. It saves automatically. This one app has revolutionized the way I keep notes in Windows.Now if they'd only make a Linux version...
  • Like 1