What Anti-Virus Software do you use?

Guest LilBambi

quint --I too am using Win98se.Depressing and angering information on Gladiator.First the auto-update didn't work right. After successfully downloading all the updates ... took forever on dialup ... it restarted itself and claimed the gladiator.dll was missing after the update....which it wasn't...I could find it no problem.  Corrupted no doubt. I figured maybe 3.0 to 3.5 was too big a jump for their autoudater.So, I logged in to their site with my username and password and downloaded the zip files (for the program) figuring it must have gotten en error in transmission or something, and (as they stated the last time I got them, I dutifully overwrote what they had autodownloaded (program wise).  It turns out it wasn't even the current version!Went back into the program and it said I needed to use the updater that my engine needed to be updated ... DUH!So did the update again, then when it restarted itself same thing .... overwrote the gladiator.dll again and restarted the program ... now it said I had gotten one more piece updated but now I didn't have gav32 installed. So back to updater, it installed the gav32 but puked again...same problem...couldn't find gladiator.dll .... overwrote it again and went back and tried one more time to autoupdate with the same response.  Overwrote the gladiator.dll one more time and was again able to restart the program.So, the program seemed to run fine as long as I over wrote the gladiator.dll .... so ...By this time, I did already have the latest updates to the definition patterns and daily patterns too ... so I figured, skip the autoupdater this time and ... I would just do a full scan with that with the engine that I had since it  appeared to be working just fine.Got most of the way through nearly an hour! Almost to the very end (and it took forever to scan my little 7gigs of data!) and it pukes: "can't find DLL entry point Gladiator_AsPack_Unpack in Gladiator"BTW: I also noted when I opened the new Interface that there was a statement that reads "Please donate for real time protection" and yes it was in RED!So, not only is it not ready for prime time .... But they have the gaul to 'require' a donation for REAL TIME PROTECTION! What gives with that! They can't get their updates and scans right and require a donation! I am never donating to them just so I can beta test their software for them! They just wasted an entire afternoon of my life for nothing!It is now gone, never to be put back on my system again.As far as I am concerned, if they can't get the software right AND CHARGE A DONATION TO GET REAL TIME PROTECTION (WHO EVERY HEARD OF SUCH A THING! Requiring a donation! Either you charge for something or you don't) ... God only knows why I should trust them to find a virus, worm, trojan horse, macro virus, blended threat, or whatever!!!OK, ok ... calm down! Do some deep breathing! maybe a little meditation  :P Back to my faithful AVG and it does real time scanning! I may install F-Prot for DOS as backup solution to be run only as called upon  :P
What a terrific review! Thourough, eloquent, and investigative!! Read every word to my son - he's bummed out, but like all kids, flexible; he's already trying out the latest free version of Avast! :P Kids are great, aren't they. Really do appreciate your analysis - has helped greatly.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GolfProRM

• quint

• havnblast

• zox

Doh! I wanted to give Grisoft AVG a try and see what it's about... I've got a version of McAfee Virusscan (via my old University) and I can keep it updated, but I'm not sure it's 100% secure... I thought I might see how AVG worked with McAfee, but the site is down!!! Never fails, anytime I want to do something, the web screws it up :P

Oi.... finally got Grisoft AVG downloaded and it's a good thing too! It caught a virus right off the bat that McAfee didn't... it was a backdoor worm, and I was curious about stuff a bit earlier tonight as my system32.exe was trying to access the internet. Thanks to ZoneAlarm, I didn't let it, and AVG has caught the virus and cleaned it up! I hadn't noticed any issues with McAfee before, but this was a big wake-up call!!

Guest LilBambi

quint --Thank you! BTW: Your son should like Avast! ... I know I did. It is really built for a true multiuser/network type OS but it works very well in Win98se as too. I enjoyed it. Very nicely done program and I am sure has only gotten better with age ;)GolfProRM --Grisoft's website is up ... I just went there with no problems. What problem were you having?

Bambi... I got there awhile ago... it was down for probably a half-hour from when I started trying... I (as I stated in my above post) got it up and running and it caught something that McAfee didn't... so far I'm impressed :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi
Bambi... I got there awhile ago...  it was down for probably a half-hour from when I started trying... I (as I stated in my above post) got it up and running and it caught something that McAfee didn't...  so far I'm impressed :rolleyes:
GolfProRM --Wow! You must have posted that while I was writing the last one!Glad to see you got it ... it's a great program to be sure! And I definitely think it is better than current McAfee product. They usually have new defs about once a week unless there is a slowdown in totally new variants.Because I am on dialup, I go manually to check and get it. I did shut off the automatic scans (in the Control Center) ... they are annoying and they want to do a full system scan every 24 hrs ... I do a full system scan with each new update and keep the Control Center running all the time.Works great!

I did shut off the automatic scans (in the Control Center) ... they are annoying and they want to do a full system scan every 24 hrs ... I do a full system scan with each new update and keep the Control Center running all the time.
I wish they gave users more flexibility in the scheduling... I'm still keeping McAfee for now (going to run two and see which one works better.... and it runs a system scan once a week (which is about what I want)... I wish AVG would allow this same option!

Guest LilBambi

Ryan --OK, I will call you Ryan ... since you made it larger now :( I hear ya! Don't count on it though ... I was waiting for that too for my clients!Because I don't like the scans to go automatically anyway, it works for me ... I am busy much of the time and at odd times, since I work from home ... so it would cramp my style to have things on autopilot :rolleyes:

I really don't care what people refer to me by (Ryan, GolfProRM, GolfPro, Chicago) it really doesn't matter... It's just funny that my name has been in my Sig since I started and nobody used it B) It's even funnier to see Scot call me Chicago :( It's all good; I can still tell when you're talking to me :rolleyes: B)

Guest ComputerBob
They can't get their updates and scans right and require a donation! I am never donating to them just so I can beta test their software for them! They just wasted an entire afternoon of my life for nothing!
It wasn't for nothing, because now all the rest of us can benefit from the fact that you carefully tested it, and clearly documented both your procedures and results. You're a treasure. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi

Ryan --My father always said, you can call me anything except late for dinner! And he meant it too! :unsure: ComputerBob --

It wasn't for nothing, because now all the rest of us can benefit from the fact that you carefully tested it, and clearly documented both your procedures and results. You're a treasure. Thank you.
Thank you! :unsure:

Well... so much for my experiment with AVG and McAfee... With both installed, XP Pro likes to reboot as soon as you login to windows. I uninstalled AVG and no more problems. I'm not sure which to run solo though. Also, that virus that AVG caught, it couldn't fix. And then McAfee found it after I uninstalled AVG, but it couldn't clean it/delete it either. I had to go in and delete the infected files (in the system32 folder) and then had to reinstall XP (over the top) to replace the missing files... (real pain in the a$$). I made sure to run a system scan and lookup some info on the net about the worm I had. I think I got rid of the problem (based on Norton's description of how to remove the problem). And thanks to ZoneAlarm for catching the worm as it was trying to connect to the net!Ahh security.... it's one of those necessary evils! :unsure:

Guest LilBambi

Ryan --I was afraid you would find that to be the case ... you should never run two active real time scanners at the same time.If you have two, one should be set to real time scanning and the other to only do ondemand scanning.Well, many virul threats can't be cleaned....just the way it is. You have 'steps' to go through to get rid of them.Glad you got it sorted out.

I am using Norton 2003 on 2 computers both running Win 2000. On one it is working fine and that was installed from a purchased CD. On the other it was downloaded and is not playing well. This will teach me to always pay the few extra bucks to buy the disk. Because by the time I have a zillion (fairly fruitless) email conversations with Symantec the download and reinstall time has elapsed. And it is a phone em up major hassle to work around that. The realtime email scan and full scans are working ok it is just the auto-protect that has the glitch and it is a known one but none of the solutions have been effective. I'll get around to another reinstall etc sometime but I've left Norton 2002 or 2002 on all the other computers (running 98se) and no problems there.Have used McAffee but not for several years as I had major problems with them 2 years ago. In the past have had bad years with Norton too - the edit-the registry and pray kind. Periodically they both have problems cooperating with various versions of ZoneAlarm too. But no complaints on the email scans with any of them once they are actually installed and working. I update virus data daily on the 4 internet connected systems and weekly on the 3 other local LAN machines. So far we have escaped any virus invasions.

brucekrymow

Have been using AVG Anti-virus for over two years on at least 5 machines & 3 OSs and have found it to outperform Norton 2001 & 2002, Panda, McAfee and PC-cillin. I have had the misfortune of Klez.H, Klez.E and Yaha.k nonchalantly slipping Norton's 'Checkpoint Charlie' despite the latest of updates and even having the latter baddie disable NAV. Never again. :blink:

AVG is not bad, but my biggest gripe with it is that scans only Outlook/OE mail clients.I am using Foxmail and AVG won't scan incoming/outgoing mails, bummer :(NAV is going DRMMcAffee sukcstried avant, and couple of others, didn't like themI am off to play with Panda :lol:

brucekrymow

Hi, Zox ~ :lol: You said 'play w/ panda'!I know they support OE, OL & Exchange, but have you tried Eudora? They do specifically support that. There is support for other clients, but they do not advertise it. I personally have used the Juno 5.033 client for the last several years and it does scan incoming/outgoing mails.

Hi, Zox ~You said 'play w/ panda'!I know they support OE, OL & Exchange, but have you tried Eudora? They do specifically support that.There is support for other clients, but they do not advertise it. I personally have used the Juno 5.033 client for the last several years and it does scan incoming/outgoing mails.
I didn't try Eudora.My mail client is Foxmail and I like it very much, unfortunately AVG does not scans mails with it :(I am in process of evaluating some software as I am looking for replacements so my next pick for AV is Panda.I'll see if it works or not :o I tested Panda about year and a half ago and it was very heavy on my system, but now they claim they are using very little system resources and "you don't even notice it works in background". Hmm, we'll see.

Guest LilBambi

Bruce --I hear ya! I too have been saved by AVG on at least one occasion when Norton was a bit slow on the uptake ;)zox --Would like to hear your take on the current Panda when you play with it B)

I just got hit with two Klez variants, within moments of each other. NAV 03 snagged the first one, but not #2. AVG grabbed that one, and I am all B) .I think the moral of the story is that there is no good reason to run just one AVS. You know, Norton has allowed intrusion two different times in 3 years, I wonder why. B)

Guest LilBambi

I don't want to leave the wrong impression here, I use AVG here only now. I used to use Norton ... I was referring to others who were hit with one in January that my AVG caught at least 24 hours before Norton (via LiveUpdate) was catching it. This was the sobig worm.I do not use two real time AV progs ... although I am going to start using f-prot for DOS as backup full system scan....just in case B)

Always used NAV at home and use NAV CE at work. Unfortunately with the news of DRM going into NAV I think I'll take a look at that AVG stuff for my home pc's when NAV expires. Maybe I'll just renew the subscription then I can avoid the DRM. One time a virus did infect our network at work. It was Nimda when it first came out. Symantec didn't get a definition out for around 24 hours and one pc got it. Some woman visited a catholic school web site and since I had not applied IE 5.5 on the machine yet it became infected. I thought something was strange when I saw in the logs her pc was trying to connect to network drives that she didn't have permissions to. The next day when I downloaded and installed the definition I was promptly informed of the infection. I immediately read up on what the virus did and found myself having to manually remove infection from some of the network drives since our mainframe is an alpha system running Open VMS. System drives I can't scan with NAV or it will create problems with VMS.

I have been using Grisoft AVG ever since it became available. In all of this time I have never been infected with a virus. Great product for an even greater price(free).