Technician Vs Salesman

lewmur

This isn't really a poll. Just an observation that occurred to me while visiting the Hardware forum. Why is it there are only two solutions ever offered? One that requires more tech ability than the poster has or one that requires that they spend a lot more money.

I think folks start with technical lest they insult the person in need. Then they break it down to the level required.

At least the first solution offered isn't format the hd! I think some shops just do that without trying to figure out the actual cause of the problem.

Guest LilBambi
This isn't really a poll. Just an observation that occurred to me while visiting the Hardware forum. Why is it there are only two solutions ever offered? One that requires more tech ability than the poster has or one that requires that they spend a lot more money.
Well, would think that's kinda moot since no one who offers their free advice on the forum ever sees a dime out of their thoughts. ;)

What's the problem? Oh, who cares...FORMAT C: !!!1one1!1I think it's best to offer technical solutions (to the poster's ability) up until the point were it is necessary to spend money, whether it be due to physical hardware problems or because of tasks beyond the posters' ability.

Edited by epp_b

From having worked in customer service, I believe your question is based on unreasonable expectations of some posters. For some problems, spending money is the only way to achieve a solution. For example, I posted a question in the Hardware forum myself only a few days or so ago. The advice I have received is to replace the power supply in my case. In this particular instance, I am able to return it since i just bought it, but otherwise, I would have to lay out cash to resolve this issue. No two ways about it, really. So if you were me, would you be upset that someone councilled you to spend your dough? If there's no other solution there's not much point. OTOH, as the person asking the question, you are intimately familiar with the issue, your level of computer knowledge, your computer system (more or less), and the things you may have already tried to resolve the issue. A responder has no such info. For me, anyway, it is difficult, if not impossible, to guage the level of detail to include in many responses to technical questions. One runs the risk of either insulting a knowledgeable user with a too-simplified post or baffling the novice user with too technical a response. Finding the correct balance is more good luck than anything so it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that a first response may need to be elaborated upon as feedback about it is received from the questioner.Just my 2 cents. I also suggest you keep in mind that 99% of people responding to requests for help do so only for the benefit of the questioner. Sometimes, advice is less helpful than it should be, but generally, it is with the best of intentions. I state all of the above without rancor, but more for your edification.

Another problem for those of us who try to help is that we can't see the system involved, the person with the problem sometimes doesn't know how to describe the symptoms correctly or leaves out important details. For myself, I'd rather have the computer in front of me to fix it.

I think everyone is taking this as a serious criticism when it was only meant as a comment on human nature. People who make thier living selling hardware always seem to have a solution requiring you to buy more hardware. Whereas people whose profession is of a technical nature tend to have solutions that ignore the fact that a $5 part could save hours of time. But ALL advice given in these forums is appreciated as a generous effort to be helpful.

Another problem for those of us who try to help is that we can't see the system involved, the person with the problem sometimes doesn't know how to describe the symptoms correctly or leaves out important details. For myself, I'd rather have the computer in front of me to fix it.
Not just you! Someone with a troublesome computer (or maybe that "someone") can only be helped to such an extent over the phone. After that, similarities between computers fizzle out and you simply need to see the problem first-hand to know what the problem is. Remote desktop clients can help quite a bit with that, unless the problem is outside of a high-level operating system.