MS security update MS06-015 and HP PCs...

James M. Fisher

Hi,The Kellys corner patch is only resolving the Shared Web folder issue. But it is not resolving the Keyboard shortcut buttons issue. If you have a HP Keyboard which has multimedia Keys on the Keyboard, then there will be a Buttons tab in the Keyboard Properties of Control Panel. You can configure the shortcut keys. but after installing the KB908531, the Buttons tab is disappeared.The only solution is to remove the Update KB908531 to get back the Buttons tab in keyboard properties. But is is not the solution, as the Automatic Updates will again install the Update. I believe there might be a entry in registry to be set to get the buttons tab. but I cant find the right one.Regards,Solomon

Oh Dear!I have tried the fixes from Kelly's, I have tried the MS manual fix and tried Error 1606 fixes I have also spent hours examining paths and have done so many many reboots that I have lost count. But alas I have not got a cure!I am desperate to get going again and have a lot of work building up cos I can't get Photoshop loaded, pretty soon I am going to have a number of exasperated clients shouting at me.I think I will have to format and reboot Xp again this evening and work all night to correct the situation but if I do I am going to turn off auto updates until MS have sorted their act out. It's got me wondering about Linux, is there a Photoshop for Linux?I think I will change my name to Fedup Fuzzy B)

:huh: HP users, beware: Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165The MS06-015 security update package installs a new binary, VERCLSID.EXE, which validates shell extensions before they are instantiated by the Windows Shell or Windows Explorer. On some computers, VERCLSID.EXE stops responding. There have been reported issues where HP software causes the VERCLSID.EXE process to stop responding. The reg fix is here:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (line 383, right-hand side)

Guest LilBambi

Fuzzy --Did you notice the different things folks had tried in my posting on page one of this topic?

Another said they renamed ALL six instances of VERCLSID.EXE on their system and it stopped.
Might want to try that?!

...after spending 40 to 50% of the time it takes to do a reinstall (os + other software), it's time to quit and reinstall.less hassle, less headache, less work!
If you have a good image, this is certainly true. But it would take me the better part of a day to reinstall from scratch.

Guest LilBambi

Microsoft is going to issue a patch to patch the patch ...From the updated Security Bulletin MS06-015:

I've heard of issues with this security update. Does Microsoft plan to release a revised security update to address these issues?Microsoft has completed its initial investigation into issues involving old third party software that customers may have experienced after the installation of this security update. On Tuesday, April 25, Microsoft will issue a targeted re-release of the MS06-015 update.Note Customers who have already applied the MS06-015 update who are not experiencing the problem need take no action.When released, what changes will the revised security update include?The revised security update will contain no changes to the binaries included in the initial security update. The revised security update will place the following entries in the allow list as indicated in Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 918165.HP Share-to-Web• {A4DF5659-0801-4A60-96071C48695EFDA9}NVIDIA Graphics Driver• {1E9B04FB-F9E5-4718-997B-B8DA88302A47}• {1E9B04FB-F9E5-4718-997B-B8DA88302A48}• {1CDB2949-8F65-4355-8456-263E7C208A5D}How do I deploy this revised update?For customers who have already applied the update and are experiencing the problem related to the older Hewlett Packard Share-to-Web software, or older NVIDIA drivers prior to or including version 61.94, the revised update will be available through Windows Update and Microsoft Update. The targeted re-release will be automatically delivered to affected computers through Automatic Update if it has been enabled The re-release will not be distributed to non-affected computers.Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 2.0 will also determine if one of the identified third-party COM controls has been installed and will offer the revised security update.For Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 1.2.1, the detection logic has been updated to offer the revised package only to machines that do not have the initial security update installed. MBSA 1.2.1 cannot be used to determine if the identified third-party COM controls have been installed. In this situation, we recommend either a manual or Group Policy install of the revised security update.
Microsoft to fix Windows patch - Tech News at ZDNet

Guest LilBambi

Also if you can't wait, there is a compatibility patch out there for the ActiveX issues that have caused problems for folks. It was made available for companies, but it doesn't look like you have to be a corporate network to make use of it.It will disable the activeX patent fix for up to 60 days (till the June Patch Tuesday) when it becomes permanent. It may just give you the time you need to get past this 'patch' till an update can be done on this issue:Internet Explorer ActiveX compatibility patch for Mshtml.dllThere is also a "Testing" section to see whether this would help:

TestingFor testing, there is a feature control registry subkey that turns on the Internet Explorer ActiveX behavior. This registry subkey and its value are as follows:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or HKEY_CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_ENABLE_ACTIVEX_INACTIVATE_MODE\=(DWORD) 0x00000001You must replace with the name of the process for which you want to enable the ActiveX update behavior. For example, to enable the ActiveX update behavior for Internet Explorer, you would replace with iexplore.exe.
Downloads are pretty far down on the page.Hope some of this helps!I can't find this key in my registry. Maybe it's only there after you install the compatibility patch. :blink:LOL! Good one! James!

Hi,Renaming the entries of VERCLSID.EXE dis fix the issues. however, these are not six, they may be more depending upon the applications it fingured. I got total of eight entries which i renamed to VERCLSID1,2,3....After rebooting, no issues. but I wonder what it will do.Solomon

Guest LilBambi

Apparently verclsid.exe is a way of verifying CSLID COM objects for programs. Apparently it's being used to identify COM objects that might execute with the drag and drop feature from Explorer (and by extension Internet Explorer) according to the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-015 and MS KB 918165 which talks about the problems some are experiencing in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015 and about the dangerous remotely executable vulnerability that Microsoft was trying to patch.Here's a search result on the Microsoft site for verclsid.exe.Many have successfully used the workaround of renaming it from my reading at groups.google searching on verclsid.exe and verclsid.exe @BBR.Apparently, by not having the verclsid.exe active by removing the patch or renaming verclsid.exe, it basically makes it as though you didn't have that protection installed, and programs behave normally (like before the patch was installed). Which means it doesn't look to verify the com objects as OK against the list of CLSID com objects that are OK'd in the registry, and thereby doesn't protect you the way it was intended to do in Explorer and Internet Explorer against the drag and drop remote vulnerability indentified by MS06-015.I think another question might or could be posed here if one had a suspicious mind -- Was this some sort of test? :)

Like Temmu said

Microsoft is going to issue a patch to patch the patch ...
Microsoft has released a version 2.0 patch for the previous Update KB908531
• V2.0 (April 25, 2006): Bulletin revised: This bulletin has been re-released to advise customers that revised versions of the security update are available for all products listed in the “Affected Software†section. Customers who have already applied the MS06-015 update who are not experiencing the problem need take no action. For additional information, see “Why did Microsoft reissue this bulletin on April 25, 2006.†in "Frequently asked questions (FAQ) related to this security update" section.
You can download the patch for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 – at KB908531version 2 Lets check whether Microsoft releases another patch to patch this for the first patch...Ref:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-015.mspxUpdated: April 25, 2006Solomon

Well I finished up formatting and re-installing XP Pro - thank God it was a weekend.To be fair, the problems I experienced were more like Error 1606, I was repeatedly getting: "cannot find %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" when I tried to install some software. I must assume that since I load my software in a specific order, with only Windows Updates and McAfee AV updates on auto that it was 605 - 015 but it could have been a bit of software that caused the problem, However it now seems to have vanished and I have not yet downloaded any XP updates.So it might have been the update or a piece of software who knows, I just know that I am back in production and my clients are happy again.

Edited by fuzzy

Has anybody figured a way to get the multimedia keyboard buttons tab back by somekind of entry in registry without having to uninstall MS patch 908531 ? Please somebody help if you can ?

Perform the steps to restore the Buttons Tab1. Click Start, and then click Search. 2. Click All Files and Folders. 3. Click more advanced Options and select Search Hidden Files and Subfolders. 4. Type the following into the All or part of the filename field: VERCLSID.EXE 5. Click the Search button. The file "VERCLSID" appears in the right window under the folder C:\Windows\system32 6. Right-click "VERCLSID" and select rename. 7. Type the name as "VERCLSID_OLD" 8. Close all windows and restart the Computer. Solomon

Perform the steps to restore the Buttons Tab1. Click Start, and then click Search. 2. Click All Files and Folders. 3. Click more advanced Options and select Search Hidden Files and Subfolders. 4. Type the following into the All or part of the filename field: VERCLSID.EXE 5. Click the Search button. The file "VERCLSID" appears in the right window under the folder C:\Windows\system32 6. Right-click "VERCLSID" and select rename. 7. Type the name as "VERCLSID_OLD" 8. Close all windows and restart the Computer. Solomon
I renamed it to VERCLSID_OLD ad got my buttons tab back but now when i go to windows update, 908531 appears again..is there a way to keep 908531 and the buttons tab ? Edited by gbp007

gbp007,I am sure that you have renamed the file VERCLSID.EXE after installing the Update KB908531. Renaming the file is not uninstalling the Update. The Update will be listed in Add Remove programs as Windows XP Security Update KB908531. Check the installed Updates, if KB908531 is not listed, then you continue with the installation of Update KB908531. Then again perform the steps to rename VERCLSID.EXE file. Now you will have the Buttons tab and also the Update. I am also not sure whether renaming the VERCLSID.EXE file is making the Windows Update think that the Update is not installed in the PC.Perform the above steps and get back with the results.Solomon

gbp007,I am sure that you have renamed the file VERCLSID.EXE after installing the Update KB908531. Renaming the file is not uninstalling the Update. The Update will be listed in Add Remove programs as Windows XP Security Update KB908531. Check the installed Updates, if KB908531 is not listed, then you continue with the installation of Update KB908531. Then again perform the steps to rename VERCLSID.EXE file. Now you will have the Buttons tab and also the Update. I am also not sure whether renaming the VERCLSID.EXE file is making the Windows Update think that the Update is not installed in the PC.Perform the above steps and get back with the results.Solomon
Hi sol4u1,I installed the update and then my buttons tab dissapears and then i renamed the VERCLSID.EXE file and i got my buttons tab back and also under add and remove programs i see update 908531 is still installed.Now when i go to windpows update it tells me i still have to install update 908531 which is really weird.When i hide it it will give me a message saying i hidden a important update..I dont know what to make of thid if it's already installed on my pc :wacko: ..i have included some print screenshttp://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6223/newpicture5bz.gifit shows i have the update under add and remove programs ^http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9844/newpictur8jt.gifbut at the same time its still coming up on windows update ^http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7212/newpicture9lq.gifand this is what it says after i hide it and i go to windows update ^EDIT:The overly large image has been changed to text link to be compliant with the Forum Rules. Please either make the image 480 in width or less, or use the thumbnail procedure shown here: here. Thanks -- Bambi
Images in Posts8. Scot’s Newsletter Forums does not permit uploading of images with posted messages. The best way to show other members something is to link to it. To do that, paste a Web URL (or hyperlink) into your message. No encoding is required. By handling images in this way, you let people choose whether to click or not.It is also possible to display a screen shot hosted on another server by using the forum software's image tag and placing a URL in it. It should be done only when showing a picture is necessary to getting your important point across. Be considerate of people who have slower Internet connections. An image displayed within a message on Scot’s Newsletter Forums should be no wider than 480 pixels. And if you can make the image smaller, please do.Either one of these approaches requires your image to be hosted on another Web server. If you do not have access to another Web server but would like to link to or display an image in a post, please contact a forum moderator for help. While we can't promise to make this possible in all cases, we are working on ways to make it easier.
Edited by LilBambi

hi,

Im sure hp will come out with some kind of patch to fix the problem

Sorry to say, yet we do not have a update on this issue. Except they suggested to provide the customers the same thing which was published in Microsoft web site i.e., to change the registry entry. (kellys patch). This patch does resolve the issue with the Hp shared folder software bundled with Imaging products but not the Buttons tab issue.However, as a work around we (Tech support Agents) first gave customers to turn off Automatic Updates, uninstall the KB908531 Update. Then we went a step ahead and provided steps to rename the VERCLSID file. I am working as a Technical Support Executive- Email support for Hp from India.Solomon

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

Sorry to say, yet we do not have a update on this issue. Except they suggested to provide the customers the same thing which was published in Microsoft web site i.e., to change the registry entry. (kellys patch). This patch does resolve the issue with the Hp shared folder software bundled with Imaging products but not the Buttons tab issue.However, as a work around we (Tech support Agents) first gave customers to turn off Automatic Updates, uninstall the KB908531 Update. Then we went a step ahead and provided steps to rename the VERCLSID file. I am working as a Technical Support Executive- Email support for Hp from India.Solomon

Any updates yet as when hp will fix this problem ? My keyboard buttons tab is showing and i have 908531 installed and the patch still shows up when you go to windows update even though it's installed.Does anybody else also have the same problem im having with the patch still showing up on windows update ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi gbp007,

HP has released a Keyboard driver Update which will resolve the Buttons tab issue which has caused by the Microsoft Update.You can download the Update from the web link below:http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...tNum=ob-40564-1After installing the Update the buttons tab will be shown.RegardsSolomon

Guest LilBambi

BTW: I found out that this is also available from HP's ftp site:server: ftp.hp.com (anonymous ftp w/your email address as password)path: /pub/softlib/software7/COL15201/ob-40564-1/filename: sp26752.exe (It's 3.4MB)Wow...the file I downloaded is actually dated 5/31/2006 19:17 so it's been out there for nearly two weeks already... :thumbsup: