Home Network Upgrade

rheck

Later on this year or when Vista is available early in 2007 I am planning to upgrade my main worksstation. While I am busy tucking away the cash for this adventure, I am researching all the various options, including changes to my home network. The network works great as it is and consists mostly of wired 100 Mbs with a Netgear Range Max (108 Mbs)) wireless router ( for Internet access) and wired remote hub. Currently there are 4 wired PCs, one Linksys NSLU2 Network Storage unit and one wirless laptop connected to the network. There is just me, but I hate to throw out working computers and I like to experiment with networks. I do a lot of automated and manual moving of disk images and backup files around the network.With my current main workstation hardware (AMD 1800 +), the performance really slows down when I am moving 6 to 7 GB files across the network. I intend to improve that greatly with the upgraded workstation hardware. Since most new motherboards have 1 Gb networking available, I am considering adding a 1 Gb NIC to my secondary PC, which will be my old AMD 1800 +. I would also purchase a 1Gb switch and connect the new workstation and the secondary PC to the new switch. The 1 Gb switch would be connected to the router, so that all systems would still have Internet access.My question, to those of you who are more experienced than I, is this a workable solution? I like to experiment, but I prefer to do it as economically as possible. I have the time to educate myself and make a wise decision.Thanks in advance.Bob Heck

Welcome, Bob!Sounds good to me. Gigabit switches are dropping in price and by the time Vista rolls around they should be close to what Fast Ethernet is today.