The Learning Curve.....

beeTee

I'm using SuSE 8.2 Pro, installed from original Disks.First, I plan tearing my system up and re-partitioning, reformating, re-sizing, etc my harddrive (/partitions). Doing a fresh install of windows2k, fresh installing Linux on a larger partition.Where do i find the updates from on-line updates (YaST) to burn on a CD so I don't have to download them again. in other words. I want to be able to update locally what I already downloaded through auto update. (non-DSL connection)When I install, (since I should have more than 15GB) I was going to install just about everything except developing stuff. Is that OK or should I go through the painstaking process of selecting packages or individual programs? or should I just install EVERYTHING??Can I simply remove linux from my drive, getting back the full "D" drive and work with it as a whole. I seriously hozed up my win2k/complete system a while back. it works, but it is far from being correct.Since Linux is going to be my prime system (I am determined of this), can I install Linux first (on "C" drive, (so it is closer to the "begining" of the drive) and then install windows? or is windows first neccesary/mandatory if I want to dual-boot???The Partitioner in YasT says I should unmount a partition before resize/delete it. How do I DO that??That's all for now. Much more beginner questions to follow!!

Hi beeTeeThere are a couple of typical SuSe questions I can not answer, but I´ll start with the ones I can answer:

When I install, (since I should have more than 15GB) I was going to install just about everything except developing stuff. Is that OK or should I go through the painstaking process of selecting packages or individual programs? or should I just install EVERYTHING??
Everything is to much, if you do not need the ¨server¨ software you can leave that out. BUT the developpement packages you DO need. In these packages are for example the gcc complilers, you need those to be able to install and compile tarballs ( tar.gz ) packages from source. I would not advice selecting idividual packages, unless you do know all the names of all the packages you do need.
Can I simply remove linux from my drive, getting back the full "D" drive and work with it as a whole. I seriously hozed up my win2k/complete system a while back. it works, but it is far from being correct.
Yes you can at install choose to reformat the whole disk.
ince Linux is going to be my prime system (I am determined of this), can I install Linux first (on "C" drive, (so it is closer to the "begining" of the drive) and then install windows? or is windows first neccesary/mandatory if I want to dual-boot???
You will have to install windows first, here is why:Linux can see your Windows partitionsWindows does not see the Linux partitions ( in other words: prefers to ignore Linux :D )
The Partitioner in YasT says I should unmount a partition before resize/delete it. How do I DO that??
As you select the partition, is there no option to unmount the partition ??We like your questions beeTee, send us some more :DB) Bruno

My help will be to tell you to install Windows first (on your C: drive) and then Linux... Will make dual-booting much easier as Lilo/grub will auto-recognize your Windows drive... :D

beeTeeI found a site where SuSE 8.1 updates can be downloaded Here it is.For all other versions 6.4 - 8.2 see HereHope you find your way in the update jungle !UPDATE: ( this site is better then the ones above )All the RPMs for 8.2 are Here the text is German though, but just download all the regular RPMs, you do not need the ¨patch¨ or ¨source¨ RPMs. ( so only the first from the three they show of each package ) The red ones are security updates. From what I can see on first sight you will need all the updates.UPDATE 2: Here is the same site in EnglishB) Bruno

UPDATE: ( this site is better then the ones above )All the RPMs for 8.2 are Here the text is German though, .........
I went there, and simply changed the /de/ to /en/ in the url, and the same page comes up in EnglishbeeTee

Great minds think alike!! :D  :D  :D
Don´t know about the great minds :D I do not fit that description ! Anyway, you have your update-site !B) Bruno

Does SuSE have dependency issues? I know you said not to install everything, but would installing everything help with dependency issues?

Does SuSE have dependency issues?  I know you said not to install everything, but would installing everything help with dependency issues?
It´s more the other way around, I told him to, ¨yes¨, install everything (exept the server bit if he does not run a server, because he´s on dial-up I expect he does not run any services ) , if something during the install would miss dependencies it would mean he does not need it ( because the base for it is simply not there. ) Updating never solves dependencies issues, they are only solved by installing the ¨libs¨ needed for it.B) BrunoPS: beeTee, installing a RPM can be done by double-clicking on it ;)Start installing the oldest dated update first and work your way up to the most recent.

Does SuSE have dependency issues?  I know you said not to install everything, but would installing everything help with dependency issues?
SuSE's package installation does auto-dependencies checking, and even installs all dependencies automatically if you pick one package (i picked Evolution, and it loaded a bunch of gnome stuff it needed for dependecies too).