"Servers" in Mandrake Control Center

chr1s

Hi,This isn't something I'm desperate to know about but it's something I've wondered about for a while now. I remembered reading about Mandrake 9.1 before it was released. When I was looking at the screenshots, I noticed that the Mandrake Control Center had a section called "Servers" on it that allowed the user to configure their Samba server etc. However, after installing Mandrake 9.1 I noticed that I didn't have this section available. Am I missing something here? Is that section only available if you've bought Mandrake rather than downloaded it (e.g. does it come if you get the powerpack version?). I thought this would be particularly useful as I'd always wondered how to configure Samba in Mandrake without using some other tool.Thanks in advance :huh:

Hi chr1sThere has to be a section ¨network¨ in the MCC, but I´m in Slack right now, will reboot in Mandrake later and get more specific.Samba is on your CDs, you can install it with the Software Manager in the MCC.Il report back about the first question.:huh: Bruno

chr1sDid you select the server packages during install of your Mandrake ?

The server configuration wizards are available through the Control Center. When the wizdrake package is installed, a new menu entry appears in the Mandrake Control Center menu
Your samba wizard makes part of the serverpackages.
Wizards can help you configure the following:      Section , “DHCP Serverâ€: your server will be able to dynamically assign IP addresses to new machines on the network;    *      Section , “Adding a DNS Entryâ€: identifying static machines names and IPs inside your local network;    *      Section , “Domain Name Serverâ€: configuring name resolutions for machines outside the private network;    *      Section , “FTP server configurationâ€: as for the web server configuration, you will be able to specify from where your FTP server should be reachable;    *      Section , “News Server configurationâ€: you can make your server act as a local mirror of an external news server;    *      Section , “Postfix server configurationâ€: configure your mail domain for sending and receiving mail from the outside;    *      Section , “Proxy Server Configurationâ€: configuring your server to act as a Web proxy cache. This speeds up Web browsing while limiting the bandwidth on the Internet;    *      Section , “Samba Server Configurationâ€: if the server is to act as a file or print server for Windows machines, this wizard will help you setup public shared files and printers, and announce their names to the Windows network;    *      Section , “Server Wizardâ€: this wizard should be run first to initialize the basic services needed for your machine to act as a local server.    *      Section , “Time Configurationâ€: your machine can also give time to other machines using the NTP protocol (Network Time Protocol); this wizard will help you configure this service.    *      Section , “Web Server Configurationâ€: here you will be able to specify whether your web server will be reachable from the outside network, or from the internal network, or from both;
Hope this clears things up a bit . . :unsure: Bruno

Thanks Bruno. I already had Samba installed and configured - I just wondered how to get the Server Configuration section up in the MCC. I've done it now though by searching for "wiz" in the "add software" part of the MCC. It comes up under drakewiz if I remember correctly - just what I was after. I think this should install by default though if you select any Server during setup (as I did).Chris :unsure:

I think this should install by default though if you select any Server during setup (as I did).
Did you ? And the Drakwiz was not installed . . . . very stange Chris, in this case it should have been there ! Anyway glad you found it with the ¨adding software¨ search function. :unsure: Bruno

nlinecomputers

Bruno,Might be a bug here. I just upgraded my server to 9.1 a few days ago. I use webmin to run things so I never checked. I didn't have a server manager box either. And I am running Samba, apache, and MySQL on it. Hmmm....

And I am running Samba, apache, and MySQL on it.  Hmmm....
nlinecomputers, with all that running you should have the server-section in the MCC for sure ! If this is no Bug, let them tell us what is. . . . :DB) Bruno

Greetings!From my experience with Mandrake, I have never seen it install itself the exact same way twice. And that is while specifying the exact same parameters as before. Each installation appeared to be a new experience, and different. One time, the sound wouldn't work. Re-installation, and the sound worked. This also applies to other applications. I never knew what I would lose, and what I would gain. :o