This connection has limited or no connectivity

zillah

I have got windows 2003 server , recently I am experiencing this problem when I connect to internet with both Wired card and Wireless card at work and at home and any other places.What I used to do I have to right click and repair each time I want to connect to net ?See this link http://i1.tinypic.com/nnmexc.jpgWhere is the problem ?

Does your network connection actually have limited to no connectivity? As in: can you still access the network and Internet?I've seen this message pop up for no reason even when the network connectivity is 100% working.

Now and then I see this too on both my XP Pro boxes, usually when my ISP gives a new firmware update for the modem.After applying that one the modem/router gets restarted 2 times automatically and then the message you showed us in the screenshot shows up. I usually ignore it completely because within say 10 - 30 secs the message gets replaced by this one : "Connected to 'provider x' - speed 100,0Mbps" From that moment on I can go on with my work.

When you see that popup, do an ipconfig and see what IP address your computer is getting. If it's 169.254.x.x, you're getting an APIPA address which cannot access the Internet. This would indicate your router isn't handing off a proper private IP address from the DHCP server.

A feature of Microsoft Windows, APIPA is a DHCP failover mechanism. With APIPA, DHCP clients can obtain IP addresses when DHCP servers are nonfunctional. APIPA exists in all popular versions of Windows except Windows NT.When a DHCP server fails, APIPA allocates addresses in the private range 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254. Clients verify their address is unique on the LAN using ARP. When the DHCP server is again able to service requests, clients update their addresses automatically.In APIPA, all devices use the default network mask 255.255.0.0 and all reside on the same subnet.APIPA is enabled on all DHCP clients in Windows unless the computer's Registry is modified to disable it. APIPA can be enabled on individual network adapters.

How do you connect to the Internet? Dial-up? Cable/DSL? Dynamic IP? Static IP? PPPOE?
1- I am connecting to internet at work through LAN,,,at home through ADSL router.2- Dynamic IP address3- At work only me facing this problem.4- I am facing same probme at home.5- At home I have got another PC (XP OS) wired to my LinkSys router , it has got no problem with connection, while with the laptop I have got problem with wire and wireless.
1- Are you using a router?2-Is your router keeping your connection open?
1- At home yes ADSL LinkSys.2- I have got no problem with Desktop (XP OS), the problem only with Laptop.
When you see that popup, do an ipconfig and see what IP address your computer is getting. If it's 169.254.x.x, you're getting an APIPA address which cannot access the Internet.
Yes it is 169.254.x.x. Edited by zillah

Draw to you attention that :1- I have got problem with my Laptop (Wired and Wireless) at work and at home.2- At work only me (i.e. Only my laptop)3- At home only my Laptop not the Desktop.Dose not that make an indication that the problem with OS of the laptop ?

Guest LilBambi

Did you have some spyware recently on these two boxes?See this google search as to why I was suspecting this:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=spywa...G=Google+SearchEither way, you might want to get the WinsockXPFix.exe and run that on the two computers.You can get it here at MajorGeeks:http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.htmlIt is also recommended at PC ****: How to Fix Problem with Limited or No Connectivity after installing WinXP SP2, but I am sure it would work for whatever the reason it happened:http://www.pchell.com/support/limitedconnectivity.shtmlPC **** also has a link to the WinsockXPFix.exeHope this helps.

Edited by LilBambi

Dose not that make an indication that the problem with OS of the laptop ?
Not necessarily. It does indicate something amiss between your laptop and the router's DHCP server. What sort of security are you using on the router at home? Have you enabled MAC filtering or limiting the number of addresses issued by the router?

1- What sort of security are you using on the router at home? 2- Have you enabled MAC filtering or limiting the number of addresses issued by the router?
1- None2- No, just I disabled SSID brodcasting.3- Say I have used 1 and 2 ,,,,and say these created trouble for me,,,,wht at about the behivor of the laptop at work ?

When you click "repair", all that happens is that Windows closes the network connection and requests another IP address from the DHCP server in the router. Then it reconnects. You're getting the APIPA address because your computer is unable to receive a valid private IP. That's why I suspected it might be a hardware problem with the router or the networking hardware in your laptop as opposed to a software (OS) issue.You could delete all your network connections and, going through the wizard, recreate them. That might help.

Zillah, do you use a software firewall?
No
or the networking hardware in your laptop
Might be this.But with both of them (Wired and Wireless) and on the same time,,,this is what I doubt.
it might be a hardware problem with the router
May be at work or at home.But with both of them and on the same time,,,this what I doubt also.
You could delete all your network connections and, going through the wizard, recreate them. That might help.
I will try this and let you know,,,,by the way, I have reinstalled the drivers for both NICs. Edited by zillah

Try going into safe mode see if there are ghost installs of your cards or an older one that didn't get completely removed. Remove them or disable them if they won't uninstall. Reboot and see if that helps. I had an old Linksys that died but wouldn't go away and it was messing with my new card. You might have to uninstall and reinstall your ethernet card software also.

May we assume that the laptop in question at work and home is the same laptop?Do you shut it down when moving it between locations? If you are between locations and something (FF?) attempts to phone home Windows will assign the 169.254.x.x. address if the connection to the DHCP server is lost.

May we assume that the laptop in question at work and home is the same laptop?
Yes of course.
Do you shut it down when moving it between locations
yes, because it is a couple of kilometers between home and work.I am scanning the PC online to check if there are spyware or virus

Here's a simple test to diagnose whether it is a hardware problem: statically assign the IP addresses and gateway/DNS settings instead of leaving them as DHCP. If this does not solve the connectivity issue, then it is likely a DHCP server issue.

test to diagnose whether it is a hardware problem
Do you mean I can test the DHCP server,,,,Do you think that both servers at (Work and Home) have got same problem at the same time.If the problem at work only,,,then yes it is worth to do that , but the problem at work and at home and many other places, and why only me expereincing this problem at work ?

Do you mean I can test the DHCP server,,,,Do you think that both servers at (Work and Home) have got same problem at the same time.If the problem at work only,,,then yes it is worth to do that , but the problem at work and at home and many other places, and why only me expereincing this problem at work ?
Well, the obvious conclusion from doing this test is this. If you are still having connectivity problems it's the hardware. I agree that the possibility of both DHCP servers being the culprit is highly unlikely. So, we should at least rule out the hardware issue first. If it's not a hardware issue, then perhaps you should run a Linux live cd and determine whether it's a Windows issue. What are the spces on the laptop, anyway?

If you are still having connectivity problems it's the hardware
Sorry Peachy it is not sort of argument , But do you mean problem with NICs hardware ? if so do you thing that can happen with both NICs cards (wired and wireless) at the same time?Any way I did the test , and I am sending this reply form my laptop while I have assigned static ip address
then perhaps you should run a Linux live cd and determine whether it's a Windows issue.
I will do this and let you know.
What are the spces on the laptop, anyway?
Dell Latitude D600

then perhaps you should run a Linux live cd and determine whether it's a Windows issue
There is no problem with ethernet connection when I used linux Live CD.
Have you tried WinsockXPFix.exe ??
Case One (Enable Wired Disabled WLAN)I received this message :"Registry Import Information not Found"Case two (Disabled wired Enabled WLAN) I received this message :"Registry Import Information not Found" Edited by zillah

There are several tools out there to fix winsock problems. Sounds like you have not used the correct one.I would suggest a Repair in Place upgrade to your laptop.Boot from a XP CD and select <ENTER> then <F8> then <R>

Any comment
i agree with the others there are something messed up with you tcp/ip settings, so you need to reinstall that, problem is the suplied fix above is for winxp and you are running 2003 server and that is probably the reason for the errors you are getting while running the WinsockXPFix.exe

Boot from a XP CD and select <ENTER> then <F8> then <R>
What I did 1- Boot from CD Win20032- Enter to boot from CD3- There is no option 8 ,,,I just let the CD to continue in its process,,,,Am I right ?4- I pressed R for repair,,,,then I press option 1 ,,,then what should I do ? Edited by zillah

The Repair In Place Upgrade is also know as the 2nd Repair option.After you boot to the 2003 CD and it loads everything into memory, hit <ENTER> just as you would if you were doing a clean install on bare metal.The next screen is the End User License Agreement hit <F8> which is your agreeing to the terms in the EULA.There is now a search for installed installations of 2003. Now you hit the <R> key to effect the 2nd Repair option.You will now go through the installation process but your system settings and any installed programs are not affected. Only the 2003 system files are replaced.Head to Windows Update to get all Service Packs and updates.

Edited by Marsden11