Firefox 1.5.0.1 Final Is Out

Gary

I don't know how long ago this was released, but it should be available shortly through the update system (if it's not already) :thumbsup: This update is absolutely recommended to all users of 1.5, and especially anyone still using 1.0.x

Um...tabs?
At the top of the page where is says download. You pick your flavor, and yes it comes with tabs. Or if you are uisng Firfox 1.5 it will auto update.

I was reading this post when the message came up that Firefox had downloaded an automatic update - click here to install.For an instant I thought that a worm was trying it on, because that has not happened to me before now.

Guest LilBambi

It was funny, I was working on a Win98SE computer and had just installed Firefox 1.5 on the computer just about a half hour before the statement that a new update was ready to be installed. I was downloading a file and told it later. After it finished I closed and restarted Firefox and low and behold it is now very nicely running the latest version.Very nicely done for Windows.Later my Jim got the same notice in Linux and didn't fair as well. He installed Firefox tar.gz for 1.5 in user space, and it failed to install properly. He tried again and it still failed and prevented Firefox from opening. He renamed his firefox directory. Downloaded directly from mozilla.com the tar.gz and installed it, then moved his bookmarks and stuff over. Worked fine that way.I just got the notification in WinXP Pro today. Again I was busy and let it download it and then it asked about installing it, noting that my Spellbound and Mozilla dictionary were incompatible at this time. I told it 'later' and finished what I was doing. Then closed Firefox and restarted it. All is working well, but I will have to wait for the update for Spellbound and the mozilla dictionary.Amazing that those were the only extensions I use that were incompatible.I also think that whatever was going on in Linux (or maybe RH9) was somehow fixed, or works right with Fedora Core (FC3 in my case), because I also got the same notice on my Linux box and told it later. NOTE: I also have it installed in user space. Closed Firefox, and then re-opened it. It said it was installing it, then checked for compatibility with Extensions and installed fine! Yea!:thumbsup:Worked great in both Linux and Windows!Great job Mozilla!

Edited by LilBambi

B) I'm reading this thread, trying to figure out what I need to check for an update. I looked thru the options and didn't see anything there. I just closed the option box and the update notice appeared. YES!Now all I need to do is run thru all the other computers and all the partitions.

anybody else noticing the size of the download? it says 6.1 mb here, wasn't this supposed 2 be only bit downloadsand the full size of a "new" download is 5.0 mb, weird

Edited by Keegan

What about extensions??I know my extension set will be different from everyone else's but I find myself not trusting in 1.5xxxx at the moment for that reason due to problems in the past.

As far as I know, if an extension that has been updated to work with 1.5 will work with 1.5.0.x--but it's up to the author to have an appropriate maxVersion in the extension (if it just says 1.5, the extension will be disabled, but they have a way to make it work for all 1.5.0.x updates) All extensions, once that change has been made (If they didn't already have it, I'm sure they'll update it soon enough) should work in every .0.x update released

I had one extension supposedly that didn't work, WebStyles. I don't use it much so I just removed it. I'll go searching in a few days to see if there is an update. I must say, the compatibility check and updating of extensions seems to be improved with this release.I've updated all my windows 98SE, ME and 2K but neither of my linux installs (those I'm still using 1.0.7).

:thumbsup: I'm reading this thread, trying to figure out what I need to check for an update. I looked thru the options and didn't see anything there.
For the record, it's under Help -> Check for Updates... :thumbsup:

weren't they suppose to fix the memory problem?Good grief I think it is worse. Last night I was saving some wallpaper pics using firefox and the system came to a crawl and in task manager I was like 390,000 K and just having 6 tabs open I am at 142,044 Konly three extensions - weather, adblock, tbp

Kelly, uninstall tbp and see if you still have problems.I've read of problems with that and the other tab extension. If the browser doesn't seem any better then install it again.

weren't they suppose to fix the memory problem?Good grief I think it is worse. Last night I was saving some wallpaper pics using firefox and the system came to a crawl and in task manager I was like 390,000 K and just having 6 tabs open I am at 142,044 Konly three extensions - weather, adblock, tbp
That is odd, I am using TBE and I have 38 tab bs open and I am using only 137,652. This is also with Forecast Fox running.I know have only one tab open and it has dropped to 34,000 Edited by Gary

Which Adblock? You need to be using Adblock 0.5.3.042 or Adblock Plus.There is a mozillaZine Thread and a knowledge base entry that have ways to reduce memory usage.Common things: After using plugins (such as Shockwave, Java, and Adobe Acrobat Reader) it might be best to restart the browser. That thread also recommends updating to the latest versions of each (Java 1.5.0_06 and Acrobat Reader 7.0.5) It really goes into a lot of detail, so look it over if you're experiencing unusual memory usage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm embarassed to ask, but it has been a while since I've gone through the update process and I've misplaced my previous notes.What is the procedure to update from 1.0.3 to 1.5.0.1 on my win xp laptop and desktop? I want to save my config settings and salvage as many extensions as possible (I use about 6 of them.)Thanks,-Doug

Edited by KCDoug