Microsoft releases IE 7 beta to public

Corrine

James, there is a newsgroup posting here (sheesh, such long urls) describing a similar situation. Nothing seems to have been figured out about it, but maybe you could post your experience? Do those newsgroups identify you as an MVP? Maybe they'll listen a little more closely.

IE7 Beta 2 Preview Open to DoS AttackSecurity researcher Tom Ferris says he has discovered a security vulnerability in the Beta 2 Preview release of Internet Explorer 7. The bug lies in the urlmon.dll file and causes the browser to crash when it encounters a URL with the "file://" protocol followed by a long string of dashes.Ferris previously discovered security flaws in Firefox, IE6 and QuickTime. He notes that arbitrary code could be executed on a machine running Microsoft's newest beta browser, but his proof-of-concept code simply crashes the application. The issue has been reported to Microsoft and Ferris says it is only of medium severity.
http://www.betanews.com/article/IE7_Beta_2...tack/1138810784

Over at the IEBlog, they replied to this problem, saying this:

We received reports this morning that a security researcher had found a bug in the IE7 Beta 2 Preview release. This issue reportedly crashes IE and is exploitable to execute arbitrary code on the user’s computer. Naturally, we take the security of IE and our users’ safety very seriously, so we investigated immediately. We did confirm that the bug crashes IE. However, we did not find that the bug was exploitable by default to elevate privilege and run arbitrary code.

Guest LilBambi

Well, it looks good. I will wait for final to come out.Doesn't bother me that OE links are broken ... I use Thunderbird and rarely use IE, but IE7 looks good and apparently works well overall ... for a Beta.Good job Microsoft. I am sure MS will fix what's wrong when the final comes out for the general public.As the link for the PCMag commented:

The first beta version of IE7 isn't intended—or ready—for the masses; developers are its real audience and they'll find some fertile ground. While IE7 certainly has potential, it has a ways to go before it's ready for prime time.

Guest LilBambi

Well, that didn't take very long and I didn't even have to go looking ...IE 7 bugs abound

People didn't lose any time in finding bugs in the latest preview release of Internet Explorer 7.It's been but a day since Microsoft publicly released a test version of Internet Explorer 7, but Internet news groups and blogs are already teeming with bug reports. Also, one security researcher claims he found a security vulnerability in the new Web browser.Issues reported several times include compatibility problems with McAfee security software and trouble installing the browser due to unnamed anti-spyware and antivirus tools. Some testers also said using certain features or surfing to specific Web sites caused the browser to hang or crash.
I guess folks didn't believe it was a real 'beta'! B) I am sure MS will fix the problems. Now you see why I wait for the final!

Better it is released clearly identified as Beta than copies being released in the wild and unsuspecting folks have problems not realizing its a Beta version.

I just got this email from Juno

Dear Juno Member,Microsoft has recently launched a new "test" version of the Internet Explorer browser (also known as IE 7). Although we are working to support the final release version of IE 7 when it becomes available, THIS TEST VERSION WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR EXISTING JUNO SERVICE.We recommend that you do not download or install IE 7 on your machine at this time as it may create issues with your Juno software, and could impact your ability to get online.If you have already installed IE 7 and are experiencing issues with your Juno software, you may wish to uninstall IE 7 and reinstall an earlier version of IE. If you need additional instructions on how to reinstall IE, please reply to this email.Juno is hard at work to develop new software that is compatible with all the latest Microsoft products, including IE 7, and we will inform you when new Juno software is available. Thank you for your patience. Sincerely,Juno Member Services
I assume that would also apply to anyone using NetZero and Bluelight for dialup because the three are called UnitedOnlineServices.I also heard but can't confirm nor deny that IE7 will not work if you have MS's OneCare installed.

I also heard but can't confirm nor deny that IE7 will not work if you have MS's OneCare installed.
I believe that the OneCare people fixed whatever problem there was. That's what their forum leads me to believe, at least.

Wonder what it does to Quick Books and Quick Books Pro, and Microsoft Money for that matter since they all lean heavily on the IE engine.
My Quicken is working just fine. However, Jame's error is really obvious now. I am typing without being able to see a single keystroke on the screen. I know I will be able to see it when I press preview but I am ready to switch over to my other browser as this is driving me crazy. :thumbsdown:

James M. Fisher
However, Jame's error is really obvious now. I am typing without being able to see a single keystroke on the screen. I know I will be able to see it when I press preview but I am ready to switch over to my other browser as this is driving me crazy. :whistling:
Another member over at Computer haven also experienced this too. Now at least I know that I wasn't seeing things! :thumbsdown:

Better it is released clearly identified as Beta than copies being released in the wild and unsuspecting folks have problems not realizing its a Beta version.
Yes But a Preview release of a Beta II ?

It was released as a Developer Release with the clear understanding, don't run it on a production machine, back up important data before you install, and be prepared for a clean install afterwards.If the general public wishes to ignore those caveats, then the public deserves whatever happens to their respective machines.

It was released as a Developer Release with the clear understanding, don't run it on a production machine, back up important data before you install, and be prepared for a clean install afterwards.If the general public wishes to ignore those caveats, then the public deserves whatever happens to their respective machines.
i don't agree with this, they are calling it beta 2 preview, nothing about developer release, and their so called warning is in small type on the bottom on the page.link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/default.mspxbut if your are brave enough 2 install something from microsoft with the word "beta" in it. Then i agree with you you deserve whatever happens :D Edited by Keegan

It is called by Microsoft a Preview Beta. I am aware of the ramifications of running Beta software. But to me a Preveiw of a Beta should be an Alpha. What is their final release going to be a Preveiw Final IE 7.0. I guess it is as there will no doubt be another 50 to 70 patches for it down the road. :teehee: And why two seperate versions. One for Vista and one for those that choose to stay with XP. From what I saw IE 7 isn't going to get me to update to Vista.

They already had "Beta 1", which was not open to the public (at least I think so..), and probably should have been called an "alpha". An alpha comes with no guarantees, anyone who installs an alpha release of a product and expects it to be bug free and work smoothly is crazy. The term "beta", to me, should signify that at least it's stable enough to run every day. Maybe not replace your daily browser, but you should be able to run it without fear of your entire computer catching on fire. It implies "we've tested it, but now we need more widespread input", and if it doesn't mean that, than it should!As for "preview of beta 2", I have no idea what to make of that :teehee:

I'll check that out also and see what version of adblock it is. I notice it the most is when saving. Right click on an image and save it to disk. The download box comes up really slow like it is in slow motion and the resources just climb.

Not sure why anyone would quibble over what it is called. It is definitely not the final release so what does it matter?Why two separate versions for Vista and everything else downstream? Simple. MS is finally ratcheting up security by a magnitude and IE7 running on Vista will simply take advantage of that new capability. It will run in a total sandbox with the ability of only being able to write to a temp file. So whatever malicious vectors to system compromise existed prior to Vista will have been eliminated.Many will find that a compelling reason to upgrade.

Not sure why anyone would quibble over what it is called. It is definitely not the final release so what does it matter?Why two separate versions for Vista and everything else downstream? Simple. MS is finally ratcheting up security by a magnitude and IE7 running on Vista will simply take advantage of that new capability. It will run in a total sandbox with the ability of only being able to write to a temp file. So whatever malicious vectors to system compromise existed prior to Vista will have been eliminated.Many will find that a compelling reason to upgrade.
Some would like to know exactly what they are putting on their machine. A Beta or a preview of a Beta which would therefore not be a Beta. And a preview of Beta II .I may upgrade to Vista but not as soon as it comes out and not for IE 7.0. Edited by Gary

• 3 weeks later...

A little surprise with IE 7 today. I went to open an excel link on a web page. I figured it would open up in Excel. Instead it opened in IE7 and Excel showed a link to the web site. I had full Excel functionality in IE7 but I could not open another spreadsheet in Excel while running the one in IE7. It was nice to have the full functionality right there in IE7 but I really needed something on the other spreadsheet to use in the one open in IE7. This is probably part of that seemless integration they are aiming at with the updates.

Do you think that this is part of MS's plan to move the Office apps online to a subscription based service?IMHO, a mostly unwanted feature especially for all those folks stuck on dialup because broadband is either too expensive or not available in the area. Suddenly OO will seem so be so much more appealing.

From using it I think the emphasis is to allow anyone with their browser to open their docs and edit them regardless of whether or not they have the software.