wifi intermittent connection

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

I have a mixed (wired/wireless) home network with a Linksys home networking setup. My machine is CAT5 wired and my wife's is wireless (difficult to wire due to location in the house).I'm trying to copy my drive images to my wife's computer (she has the burner on her machine) so that I can burn them to CD. The problem is that when I drag and drop, it'll copy for a while and then I guess it loses it's connection and I get an error message saying that the network name is no long available. These are large image files and I can't get them there in one piece.My thought is that Windows (XP Home on both machines) would notice the momentary disconnect and wait for it to reestablish but I guess I'm wrong. Any thoughts on this?Would switching to a TCP/IP only network solve this? I run NetBEUI for LAN and TCP/IP (obviously) for the net.

Guest ThunderRiver

Rule number 1, never never copying big files over WiFi. If you are copying files over 50 mb of data, you should switch back to CAT5 LAN. WiFi is only designed for your convenience for online browsing and small file transfer. It is not meant to replace CAT5 for giga file transfer.

Rule number 1, never never copying big files over WiFi. If you are copying files over 50 mb of data, you should switch back to CAT5 LAN
I fully agree with "Rule number 1"! Nevertheless on some occasions it is not possible to use an (ad hoc) wired connection. I use the following solution in such cases:Convert the large (to be sent) file to .rar (with CRC-integrity control)Transfer the .rar-file using TCP/IPUnrar the file on the destination-computer. Un"rar"ing wil tell you wether the received file is correct or corrupt.BTW: I use an accesspoint with boosted antenna-output to prevent connection-failure. The sending computer is cable-connected to the accesspoint. The other way around (e.g. from wireless computer to accesspoint) the connection is never fail-proof.Tbird's computer is wired and he tries to sent to his wife's wireless computer, so this solution should work for him.

Grasshopper

I occasionally use WinRAR but what is CRC integrity control? Is that like a checksum or corruption check of some kind?

By the way since you are using WinRAR and those images are really big, you can segment those images to smaller chunks and reassemble them back on the other computer.Yes WinRAR has some nice features such as checking, Authenticity check, Recovery record, etc..

Because you're sending large diskimages over WiFi you MUST be sure the ones received are correct. The first instance you use those images is when your own harddisk is in some way out of order; using a corrupt diskimage wil not make your day!!CRC is a the outcome of a mathematical formula checking the output of (in this case) the processed unrar is exactly the same as the input during the rar process (a checksum). Every .rar-file has automaticly a CRC-list included for safety.I think segmenting the .rar-files before WiFi-sending them is a great idea!

I'd get rid of Netbeui. Bind the Printer and File Sharing for Microsoft Networks to TCP/IP (Network Connections- advanced settings). Check for any firmware upgrades for the Router and the Nics. I've been running wired and wireless for a year. Just using Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP. I have yet to loose a connection between the machines. Your running XP on both machines, right? There is no need for Netbeui. Make sure you uncheck enable IEEE802.X authentication for this network and check enable netbios over TCP/IP.

Grasshopper

maggie,Couple of things about what you said.You may be right about NetBEUI but my home network is sort of a carryover from the times (pre-router) that I kind of needed to do that in order to stay away from the ddos and huge scanner traffic problem found in unprotected TCP/IP home networks. Now things are a little different. I'm smarter with protecting the network (router, subnet, firewalls, blahblahblah) so NetBEUI may not be needed anymore. I did try to switch a while back but wasn't working. I didn't do a lot of research so I went back.Also, regarding the firmware updates. I hesitate to do those things unless there is a problem. IMHO, blindly doing firmware updates is inviting problems. Now if there's something you need fixed in there, I'm all for it. Also, I have a Linksys wireless setup and it's been mentioned by Scot (and I think I've seen this elsewhere, too) that Linksys has a bug in their system and it is said that they are not willing to make a fix because they were being bought or some beancounter thing like that. So I'm behind the 8-ball just having the equipment I have. It works well otherwise.Snoepie,So you're saying that WinRAR does the CRC thing in the already and I don't have to configure it that way? If so, that's very cool!tbird

I have three machines using XP pro on two desktops and XP home on the laptop. Linksys BEFSR41 for my wired router. A TrueMobile 1170 wireless base station (Intel rebranded) . I have the wireless router hooked to a port on the BEFSR41 acting like an access point. My wireless router only has one wired port so I would need a hub or router to hook up for my desktops. I already had the wired network in place. I always get the latest firmware and drivers for everything wireless is new they are always improving the OS so why not the equipment. Everything is uPnP enabled. Baring a miracle they will never be WPA enabled.The newest firmware on my Linksys was back in Dec. 2002. I don't do any file sharing( Kazaa etc..) so I don't leave any doors open to the public. Netbeui at it's best is difficult to install properly on XP. If you have a good software firewall plus the routers, a key on the wireless, virus and Trojan software. I see no problem getting hacked. I back everything up to an external drive on my main desktop. When I got the laptop I didn't worry about copying anything across the network. SP1, I have moved and installed some huge files through the network. I run Office 2000 and Office XP. I'm not worried, maybe I don't know enough about the finer points and problems with networking. Mine just works. I'm a home user. If I have a glitch I know how to go through the network and fix it. I have clean installed all the OS. I'm thinking your network is broken and you have way more variables on there than you need. I've wiped Netbeui off other peoples mixed networks . Once they have added XP or 2000 into the mix and started having problems. It always works for them. If I had to worry about breaking up my files to move them I'd be putting them on a CD, then why bother networking for Printer and File Sharing.I do understand that you are comfortable with Netbeui and its hard to change what your comfortable with. It is an old protocol. Microsoft doesn't support it on XP. It's kind of like dual booting with 9X until your comfortable with an NT environment. As long as the router is secure and your not using DMZ or port forwarding, between NAT and a software firewall I'm comfortable. Maybe you are a candidiate for a Server OS. If you're running a business it might be better. I have installed Net Stumbler just to check for lost packets and my range. If you are loosing packets this could be a problem. Maybe you need a better wireless nic. I use an Orinoco Gold PC Card. If I need to add an antenna I can. A little long on the tooth for todays wireless systems. But my network is too.

Snoepie,So you're saying that WinRAR does the CRC thing in the already and I don't have to configure it that way? If so, that's very cool!
Yep :rolleyes:

Grasshopper

maggie,Thanks for the discourse. I don't necessarily agree with your views but that's ok. Everyone is different.I do have a question. I took your advise and uninstalled NetBEUI, rebound Client for MS and Sharing with TCP/IP, and enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on both machines (both XP Home). I unchecked the IEEE802.x authentication on my wired machine, but that option was not available on my wife's wireless machine. I am still able to connect to the internet but not the local network on both machines. There is obviously something else that I'm missing to get the home network back up and running after this change. This situation is precisely why my opinion differs from yours on the NetBEUI issue. It took very little work for me to get NetBEUI to work but it's a pain to switch over to TCP/IP. I can search for my wife's machine but cannot browse it.