Can I install from CD in Safe Mode?

JerryM

I recently installed Hallmark Card Studio Deluxe 2005. It is a 3 disk program, and after each disk is downloaded it tells you to insert the next disk.During the download Win Patrol also kept telling me to insert a disk, and when the final disk was finished and I removed it WP continues to give me that instruction. I could not get it to stop, and finally exited the program. BillP is aware of that issue.In addition, as the install continued I had firewall, and I think UnHack Me warning me and asking if I wanted to permit, etc.When all was finished and I restarted I got the XP equivalent of the BSOD. I ended up uninstalling the program, and all is working well.I am convinced that I got a corrupted download due to all that was going on with my security programs.Hence, the question as to whether I can install the program from CDs in safe mode. Would that solve the problem of security programs interrupting the process? I realize I could exit all of them, but it may be easier to just go to Safe Mode and do the work if it is a viable option.Thanks,Jerry

The answer is a definite "maybe."You will have access to the CD-ROM drive in Safe Mode.However, if the application uses the Windows Installer service it won't install in Safe Mode because that service does not run.If you get to a point where you're still getting the BSODs, make note of the technical information. That may provide a clue as to what's happening.Kevin

After stopping the services you know may get in the way, before you start the install open task manager and stop any other services you see running under your username. The other option is to open msconfig and turn off eveything in the startup list ---> after making a list of what has a check mark. When you reboot, nothing other than required system services will be running. Once you've installed the software, run msconfig again and recheck your normal startup items and reboot.

After stopping the services you know may get in the way, before you start the install open task manager and stop any other services you see running under your username. The other option is to open msconfig and turn off eveything in the startup list ---> after making a list of what has a check mark. When you reboot, nothing other than required system services will be running. Once you've installed the software, run msconfig again and recheck your normal startup items and reboot.
That should do it. :hysterical:

I disconnected from the internet, disabled all my security, and installed it. It took a couple of trys but it worked finally. Evidently there is some problem between my machine and the program installation. Thanks for all the help.Jerry