Networking

havnblast

Ok - next attempt network card - I go into Network Configuration and click on Activate device eth0 I get the following:redhat-config-network:Cannot activate network device eth0!Determining IP information for eth0... failed.Hardware says: NatSemi DP83815IP: 127.0.0.1Hostname: localhost.localdomainThis is in RedHat 9.0 - where do I go now?

Guest LilBambi

I am sure someone with experience with Redhat 9.0's config-network modules will be here very soon ;)I am using Redhat 7.3 and do these types of things outside the gui so I will not be able to help with RedHat-config-network gui module.Will have to get Redhat 9.0 when we get some broadband :lol:

Kelly,I've got RedHat 9.0 installed, and during the installation, I selected "use DHCP". Never had to do anything else; after it was fully installed and updated, never had to configure anything. Have a Netgear FA311 NIC, which is listed as the NatSemi DP83815 (MacPhyter). Guess National Semi makes it for them. :lol: Anyway, isn't there a choice for auto detection /w DHCP?

What sort of network are you configuring? Can you give us some more specific information about internet connection, routers, cable/dsl modems, etc?Also, open a New Terminal window and switch to the root user and type /sbin/lsmod to make sure that the MacPhyter module is loaded. What brand is the NIC?

Well that is what I thought my card was a Netgear and when I saw that name I thought maybe it was wrong card detected.It is just a network of two computers - with a little 4 port hub in between them. The other machine is presently a win2000 OS with the printer hooked up to that one.I just have a dial up service and usually set this machine up for the gateway of ICSI don't see a MacPhyter module when I type that in:[root@localhost root]# /sbin/lsmodModule Size Used by Tainted: Pnls_iso8859-1 3516 1 (autoclean)natsemi 19552 1 (autoclean)udf 98400 0 (autoclean)agpgart 47776 3 (autoclean)nvidia 1672480 10 (autoclean)ppp_deflate 4504 0 (autoclean)zlib_deflate 21368 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]ppp_async 9440 1 (autoclean)ppp_generic 24444 3 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate ppp_async]slhc 6740 1 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]es1371 30792 0 (autoclean)ac97_codec 13640 0 (autoclean) [es1371]gameport 3364 0 (autoclean) [es1371]soundcore 6404 4 (autoclean) [es1371]parport_pc 19076 1 (autoclean)lp 8996 0 (autoclean)parport 37056 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]autofs 13268 0 (autoclean) (unused)ipt_REJECT 3928 6 (autoclean)iptable_filter 2412 1 (autoclean)ip_tables 15096 2 [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]sg 36524 0 (autoclean)sr_mod 18136 0 (autoclean)ide-scsi 12208 0scsi_mod 107160 3 [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]ide-cd 35708 1cdrom 33728 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]keybdev 2944 0 (unused)mousedev 5492 1hid 22148 0 (unused)input 5856 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]usb-uhci 26348 0 (unused)usbcore 78784 1 [hid usb-uhci]ext3 70784 1jbd 51892 1 [ext3][root@localhost root]#

Yo; Havnblast!I just moved my Redhat install(9.0) to Tulsa,Ok from my house in FT.Smith,Ar. and brought one of those NetGear 4 port switches with me. My boy has broadband so, I thought; get it going. He runs Windows 98SE(ugh!). Took Awhile For Sure!Anyway. Go to the redhat icon (start) scroll to Network Device Control and Activate device! Save and exit. Exit and logon to make it work. If your still not connected then, you must edit the nic card (enter password) the nic is NatSemi83815(on mine so yours should be simular) config (mine) localhost.localdomain: Primary DNS XXX.XXX.XX.X DNS SearchPath: localdomain. Once everything is activated then Edit: Devices and: STATIC IP XXX.XXX.XX.X: SUBNET 255.255.255.0: DEFAULT GATEWAY XXX.XXX.XX.XX.When: I say mine; that is, my machine, of course.Make sure the network: computer to computer, is working before trying internet connection sharing. Also on Wins 2k you must enable ICS. Your Redhat install will make its own connection. Once connected on W2K Right click(mouse) on connection icon then status then connection sharing and enableLittle high here,mike180 :) :blink: :)

Yes, it looks like you will need to assign the address statically for your NIC. Using the redhat-network-config app, highlight the NIC under the devices tab and then select Edit from the menu. Make sure you set it use a Static IP address. The correct IP/Subnet mask should be a 192.168.x.y/255.255.255.0 or a 10.0.0.x/255.0.0.0. Also, find out what your Windows 2000 IP settings are and set your RedHat machine to the same subnet, but a different IP address. Are you using the RedHat machine for the dial-up and connecting the Windows 2000 machine through it to the internet or vice versa?

I normally use my machine(RedHat) for the Gateway ICS - will that still work with RH? I will try the above mentioned hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for the input everyone

Yes, you can use the Linux machine as the gateway. All the other machines will have the Linux machine set as their gateway.

Ok I was able to go in and edit the setting and it now becomes active - woohooJust have no idea how to browse network now ;) or setup ICS

Ok I was able to go in and edit the setting and it now becomes active - woohooJust have no idea how to browse network now :unsure:  or setup ICS
Kelly,You need to install the Samba server and client for network browsing with your Windows machines. As for ICS, you need to setup your Linux machine to do IP forwarding and NAT. I don't know how to do the latter yet, but I do have a Linux box with a modem and NIC so I can test this out. I will post my findings when I get a chance to play with it. Also, you might want to read this tutorial.

Thanks PeachyI figured I was missing the Samba after I started playing with the network settings, so I will do that.OMG guess what I got X-Server to start up with the .18 kernal after it failed I selected No and it ask me if I wanted it to try something else and I said yes and it flushed some file and *poof* the login screen came up. I'm not sure what driver it used but I know it isn't the same one that the .9 kernal is using -- gonna try to install the driver here later and see what happens.A little help and effort goes along way - Many thanks to all :unsure: