Going back to 1.0.7

Grasshopper

Guest LilBambi

For those who may be having problems, what OS (Win98SE, WinXP/XP Pro, Mac OS X 10.x, Linux (distro, etc.) and if using WinXP/XP Pro, do you have all the latest Windows Updates on your computer?I am using WinXP Pro with all the latest Windows Updates.No problems with FF 1.5 and several Extensions. Most of which were compatible with FF 1.5 already. A couple were not and were disabled till they have new ones that are compatible.I found that FF 1.5 scrolls pages better than the previous versions, and the latest Java Update 6 and Flash plugin version 8 work great on FF 1.5.I have not had one single crash of the browser.Could it be that an earlier version of Java could be the problem with some folks' install of FF 1.5?

Guest LilBambi

For those who wish to wait for anther release, and wish to revert to 1.0.7 because of these problems, you can do so. But it is highly recommended that you uninstall the current version after backing up your profile to a safe location and the install directory for FF 1.5 and then do a clean install. From there you can test the browser to make sure it is working as you remember and then import your bookmarks etc. from your old profile.Here's the download location for version 1.0.7:http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...es/1.0.7/win32/if you go one level up, you can find the previous 1.0.7 for Mac and Linux as well for anyone who is having trouble with FF 1.5.

My problem was mainly extensions. It seemed that the ones that I used were not compatible. I know others had good luck but I just happened to like the wrong/slow updating ones. I also had some freezing/pausing issues and the theme I had before didn't show up right. Nothing really earth-shaking, but annoying to me. I am running XP Pro current on WU.Yeah, I did a complete uninstall, backing a couple files for passwords, bookmarks, etc, reinstalled 1.0.7, replaced files/theme/extensions and now everything runs like a top. My memory's currently at 104K after running for about 20 minutes thru my normal morning sites, but that doesn't bother me with 768MB of RAM. That's what I upgraded memory on my laptop.I'm happy that I went back. My surfing habits are pretty good therefore I don't lend myself to the trouble that some of the security updates prevent.

Edited by tbird

• 4 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet
I'm probably one of a handful of people that refuses to have a gmail account. I also don't install any google toolbars and my google cookies as to my preferences are deleted when I start FF fresh each time. Call me paranoid but I don't want google to have a profile on my surfing and email habits.
Same here. I took a look at the pros and cons and decided I'd rather not put my personal stuff in a giant 'filing cabinet' for others to rifle through, especially my emails. It amazes me that so many can be so blase about the whole thing. If somebody really wants to amass information on me, I know they can get it. I'd prefer to keep it an illegal act for them to do so, however- at least to the extent that that is even still possible. It's amazing to me just how pliant- and compliant- people can be in their own degradation. By our patterns of behavior will others come to know us, perhaps better than we know ourselves. Knowledge is power. I'd prefer not to give any of my 'power' away. BTW thanks for the reminder. I haven't deleted any Google cookies in a good, long while. Oops! Dey's a listenin', I be deletin'. BRB...
However, Google swept in with a last minute offer that scuttled Microsoft's plans. Google will pay Time Warner $1 billion for a 5 percent stake in AOL, and will keep the AOL search business as a result. The deal, which was done solely to hurt Microsoft, will not financially benefit Google in any perceptible way. But as part of the deal, Google will do that one thing they've always promised not to do: It will present AOL-sponsored search results on its main search results page, complete with the AOL logo. That's right, folks. Google has sold out. And it did so to harm a competitor that has less than one third its marketshare.
Oh my God! Google is doing what Microsoft has done/would do! (gasp!) :thumbsup:(If you want to run with the big dogs...) Edited by Cluttermagnet

While there is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to keep your private information off of the Internet, I still honestly believe that Google is doing exactly what they say they're doing (i.e., they don't have any evil intentions). If their scam is spending billions of dollars to garner trust, while creating dozens of useful products, then the entire world has been fooled.Google's "My Account" page lets you delete all account information, delete your gmail account, and delete your personalized search, if you choose. All of those are opt-in services to begin with, by the way.Call me naïve, but until Google proves me wrong, I still trust them.Annnnyway, for people who had trouble with 1.5, I strongly suggest trying out 1.5.0.1. It isn't out yet, but the release candidate is. That is available here.

I don't trust Google one bit. Period. In this world nothing is free, there's always a catch. The catch shouldn't be my privacy. Just read these :http://desktop.google.com/en/eula.htmlhttp://desktop.google.com/privacypolicy.htmlhttp://www.google.com/privacy.htmlAfter that I decided I don't want any of it.Regarding the upgrade to 1.5.0.1rc1: I'll wait for the official release and see what that gives.

I don't trust Google one bit. Period. In this world nothing is free, there's always a catch. The catch shouldn't be my privacy.
To me, the "privacy" I give up is that they may share "aggregate non-personal information" with third parties. The benefit, better Google searches, new services, etc., seems greater than the risk. If they started selling my address to Spams R Us, I might have a problem.
Regarding the upgrade to 1.5.0.1rc1: I'll wait for the official release and see what that gives.
Probably a good idea. There have been quite a few changes since the 1.5 release, and they should all have a positive effect.The biggest change for this point release over previous point releases (such as 1.0.7) is that they are taking fixes that aren't security. Before, updates only happened when there was a major security hole that needed patching. While those types of fixes can and will still be published (easier than ever, with the update system), these point releases will be used to also fix crashes, leaks, and other stability problems.

Fresh on the heels of our discussion on privacy comes this article:Google Rebuffs Feds on Search Requests The federal government has subpoenaed search engines for documents that "would assist the government in its efforts to understand the behavior of current Web users, (and) to estimate how often Web users encounter harmful-to-minors material in the course of their searches"

Google -- whose motto when it went public in 2004 was "do no evil" -- contends that submitting to the subpoena would represent a betrayal to its users, even if all personal information is stripped from the search terms sought by the government."Google's acceding to the request would suggest that it is willing to reveal information about those who use its services. This is not a perception that Google can accept," company attorney Ashok Ramani wrote in a letter included in the government's filing.
Hopefully Google stick to their guns.

Cluttermagnet

Is the government's mouth moving? Then it is lying. The feds' excuse for why they want to bully Google into giving them 'everything' is mealy-mouthed, to say the least. That's one of the worlds three biggest lies, you know- "I'm from your government, and I'm here to help you". Yeah, sure. I'll give Google a free pass for now, so far as good intentions, but the best of intentions can get laid aside at a moments notice, in this world. Ever heard of a hostile takeover? At least they don't have *my* stuff in their hoard.