Firefox CPU and RAM usage

cliff

In my searches of the net, I have found many people experiencing a slowdown of FIrefox because of RAM/CPU usage approaching 100%. I have even read, in a major columnist's newsletter, that this is a common problem for Firefox and prevents him from recommending it over I.E.Well, I've been struggling with this problem for nearly two years. I have read many forums and have tried over 37 fixes, by actual count, and never did get it fixed. Until now. On one of the Firefox forums, I read of a fix by changing the compatability to an earlier version of Win. This is done by right clicking on the shortcut, selecting properties, and selecting the Compatibility tab. I found mine was set for Win98/ME compatibility. Probably because I upgraded Win98 to XP Pro, rather than a clean install. I unclicked it. Now Firefox operates just as a really good Browser should: Fast, clean and the ****** extensions now work!I'm about an 80% expert on PCs and I never did know about the compatibility tab under the right click on shortcuts. Shame on me! Wait. I'm 61 years old and just switched to Windows about 12 years ago.Cliff Babcock

I don't like compatibility mode. In fact, it doesn't even work in my experience.It should also be noted that compatibility mode trashed my entire OS after I used it to install a program.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm.........interesting - Scot says no to FF 1.5Article HereThoughts anyone? :hmm:
I have to agree and I am seeing wide areas of complaints too. Oddly enough for me Opera eats more memory than FF. I have not tried the latest Opera tho, but it was one reason why I didn't run Opera that much. Most people find that Opera uses less than FF, so I don't know what the deal is with my system. I'm finding more web pages not working with FF and I am not saying that is FF's problem, more than likely it's coding, but it makes it frustrating.The browser war is interesting none the less.

I am not having any problems with Firefox 1.5 and I have used it since it was in Beta. Then RC1, RC2 ...etc. Some folks just like to wait. I will wait quite sometime before installing IE7.0, if at all. IE 6.0 gets me to the Windows Update site just fine++++My only use for IE. I also do not have the memory problems. I had 47 tabs open and my total memory usage was something like 65K.

curious - can and do extensions make the memory usage go up?I notice with 4 tabs in FF I am at 57,168 and Opera is 37,648, but I have like 3 extensions going in FF compared to Opera having none.This is the first time Opera has been lower than FF

curious - can and do extensions make the memory usage go up?I notice with 4 tabs in FF I am at 57,168 and Opera is 37,648, but I have like 3 extensions going in FF compared to Opera having none.This is the first time Opera has been lower than FF
I have 38 extensions. I do not use TBE which does use alot of memory and is unstable per Mozilla. I guess it depends on which extensions that are installed.

I use and love TBE (I know, it's bloated, buggy, and "unrecommended" by its author). Whatever, it works great for me.As an experiment, I uninstalled TBE and replaced it with the "approved" TabMix. Memory use was about the same on my system - RAM + virtual memory combined would go above 200 megabytes after a couple hours of active Internet use (that's a lot of memory!) I didn't see any gain in stability with TabMix, so back came TBE. :hmm:

No worries, Neil. I moved the last of the Off Topic items to the new split off topic you created. :hmm:
Ah, thanks!Gary, what does the "Allow Right Click" extension do that going to Options -> Content -> Advanced... (next to Enable JavaScript) and unchecking "Disable or replace context menus" doesn't do?

Ah, thanks!Gary, what does the "Allow Right Click" extension do that going to Options -> Content -> Advanced... (next to Enable JavaScript) and unchecking "Disable or replace context menus" doesn't do?
I don't know but I am going to try it.I removed that checkmark and the extension and I do not see a difference. Thanks Steerler Fan :thumbsup:I tested it on each of the Extension developers links and it works just the same:http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htmhttp://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright2.htmhttp://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright3.htm Edited by Gary

What a waste of code...I go to the site and right click does not work. I click on View Source and search for the image URL. Copy then Paste in my address bar and Enter.Bingo there is the image all by itself on a blank page... right click works just fine...

What a waste of code...I go to the site and right click does not work. I click on View Source and search for the image URL. Copy then Paste in my address bar and Enter.Bingo there is the image all by itself on a blank page... right click works just fine...
For the extension yes, but it works using Firefox without cut and pasting.