Installing Linux

soarcerer

We would be happy to assist. First, some details. You indicate you are going for Mandrake, which version?Tell us about your hardware. Are you putting this on a tower or a laptop? How much ram? What type of cpu? How large is your partition? You will need a small partition for your swap as well (1 GB or as little as 512 MB). You can let Mandrake do that for you.Did you download the DVD or CDs or purchase them? If you downloaded them, have you looked at them to make sure there are multiple files on them and not just one large image?Oh, welcome aboard. :)

Did you make it one big partition? Those specs will sure work. I guess you will keep this old teacher up late on a school night. The alarm is set so I won't oversleep and miss school now so I am ready to wait it out. Besides, I am following Quint's post and downloading the newest Mandrake.While you are waiting for the paint to dry, I mean the install to finish, do you want to tell us a little bit about yourself? I know that you are not new to the forum, but just new to installing Linux. So give us a few details. Is your user name tied into your distro of choice? :DWelcome one and all to the most exciting install party on the face of the earth....featuring our newest penguin in the making. The mystery penguin. Am I talking to myself? :)

Times up! What's happening? Got your root password and user password done? Don't forget to go do your updates next!Still talking to myself. :)

Hi SoarcererWelcome to the forum !! . . . . :) GREAT job !! . . ( you did not even need the HowTo did you ?? . . . Seems to me you have talent ! ) :) Bruno** Hi Sieb . . . . . . looks to me you 2 know each other ( ?? ) . . . :) ** Soarcerer, if you send an email to the address you find at the bottom of This Page I will send you the offline-edition of the Tips for Linux Explorers.

we live in the same house does that give u a clue...tehehe...well didnt go as well as planned... the actual linux is installed but now the aps arent working...time to download Mandriva i guessThnx,Sieb Jr.sieb's son

Hi SoarcererWelcome to the forum !! . . . . :thumbsup: GREAT job !! . . ( you did not even need the HowTo did you ?? . . . Seems to me you have talent ! ) B) Bruno** Hi Sieb . . . . . . looks to me you 2 know each other ( ?? ) . . . ;) ** Soarcerer, if you send an email to the address you find at the bottom of This Page I will send you the offline-edition of the Tips for Linux Explorers.
Edited by soarcerer

Hi AdamHere are some pointers:Downloads: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...so/i586/2006.0/Either CD 1 -3 :Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD1.i586.isoMandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD2.i586.isoMandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD3.i586.isoOR DVD version:Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-DVD.i586.isoBrun them using Nero see: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=14&t=503&st=81Then, use this guide to install and pay attention at "15th screen: Summary" and configure the network right there before ending the install. ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Good luck Sieb Jr.. I doubt that Mom remembers much about Linux so you better ask your questions here...... :thumbsup: Come on Seib, fess up! What do you remember? Anything?

Good luck Sieb Jr.. I doubt that Mom remembers much about Linux so you better ask your questions here...... :D Come on Seib, fess up! What do you remember? Anything?
fess up!!!!!! i guess illl have to install it 2morrow itll b like 3 more hours....downloading the DVD version :thumbsup: Thanks for your help guys!!!Sieb, Jr.uh oh... she'll get me for that B) o:)

My DVD download was smooth. I turned it on and started the download at bedtime and woke up to one ready to burn. Better install early in the evening so get ready. Just tell Sieb that the truth hurts sometimes. We love her anyway, even if she forgot how to be a real penguin. :D

3 late nights, chrooting, not being able to boot automatically to XP rather than Linux, drakx-bug?!? and frozen bubble. That pretty much covers what I remember about Linux! :D

Edited by siebkens

I see you remember the important stuff - frozen bubble. :D Glad to see you finding your way back here. Even if it is sitting back and supervising. Sieb Jr. should not need chroot at all. I think he can handle. After all, he is very bright. :) He did choose Linux after all.

3 late nights, chrooting, not being able to boot automatically to XP rather than Linux, drakx-bug?!? and frozen bubble. That pretty much covers what I remember about Linux! :D
and yes Bruno I DID use sieb's prev discussion sorry im not quite that goodThanksSieb Jr.I have adopted a new name.....

3 late nights, chrooting, not being able to boot automatically to XP rather than Linux, drakx-bug?!? and frozen bubble.
Well that does "sound" like a Linux Pro Sieb . . . . . Maybe it is time to build further on that ( solid ) base of knowledge ? :D
and yes Bruno I DID use sieb's prev discussion
Hi Sieb Jr. . . . never mind how you did it . . . you did manage to get it slapped on the HD, kudos for that ! :ph34r: . . . . . anyway, better follow the howto here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=319 ( it has nice pictures too :) ) B) Bruno

Well that does "sound" like a Linux Pro Sieb . . . . . Maybe it is time to build further on that ( solid ) base of knowledge ? B) Hi Sieb Jr. . . . never mind how you did it . . . you did manage to get it slapped on the HD, kudos for that ! B) . . . . . anyway, better follow the how-to here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=319 ( it has nice pictures too ;) ) :( Bruno
HAHA that already helps lol

Hi Sieb Jr.!Welcome btw. One thing you want to make sure of in Nero is that you are making an ISO Image and not just copying the data. Believe me I've got a few costers already. Also did you do a checksum to make sure you had a good install cd?Just a few hints. Glad to have you aboard. Edited to change name to Sieb Jr. by his request. B)

Edited by teacher

Hi Sieb Jr.Burning the ISO takes a special technique . . . . the ONLY way to do it is:In Windows: ( ALL ) with Nero 5:file --> burn CD image ( don´t use that stupid wizard ! )In Windows: ( ALL ) with Nero 6:1. Launch the "Nero Burning ROM" ( regular version, not the wizard ! ) portion of the program.2. Select from the menu: Recorder > Burn Image.3. Use the default options and burn the CD.Windows XP: Another ( FREE ) tool to burn ISO´s in XP:The ISO Recorder Power Toy makes burning ISO images to CD as simple as:1)Find image file in Windows Explorer, Power Desk, Find Files,... etc.2)Right-Click on the file3)Select "Copy Image to CD" from the Menu4)Confirm the settings in the pop-up dialog window, and click Next.You can download The ISO Recorder Power Tool ( FREE ): ftp://ftp.zdnet.de/pcpro/download/swlib/0...corderSetup.msiMore info on the Power Tool ( translated from German ) http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...,2104137,00.htm>> If after burning you can see a lot of files and directories you´ll know your CD is fine !>> If after burning you see only one file; the downloaded.iso you´ve clearly done something wrong and can use the CD as a coaster ! B) Bruno

Thnx that idd it but now i have another ? how do i tell it to boot to the ISO or can i, i have the Bios set but it default starts to Mandrake which I corrupted somehow...

Hi Sieb Jr.Burning the ISO takes a special technique . . . . the ONLY way to do it is:In Windows: ( ALL ) with Nero 5:file --> burn CD image ( don´t use that stupid wizard ! )In Windows: ( ALL ) with Nero 6:1. Launch the "Nero Burning ROM" ( regular version, not the wizard ! ) portion of the program.2. Select from the menu: Recorder > Burn Image.3. Use the default options and burn the CD.Windows XP: Another ( FREE ) tool to burn ISO´s in XP:The ISO Recorder Power Toy makes burning ISO images to CD as simple as:1)Find image file in Windows Explorer, Power Desk, Find Files,... etc.2)Right-Click on the file3)Select "Copy Image to CD" from the Menu4)Confirm the settings in the pop-up dialog window, and click Next.You can download The ISO Recorder Power Tool ( FREE ): ftp://ftp.zdnet.de/pcpro/download/swlib/0...corderSetup.msiMore info on the Power Tool ( translated from German ) http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...,2104137,00.htm>> If after burning you can see a lot of files and directories you´ll know your CD is fine !>> If after burning you see only one file; the downloaded.iso you´ve clearly done something wrong and can use the CD as a coaster ! B) Bruno

Hi Sieb Jr.!My feeling is that you made a copy of the .iso and not created an .iso. Do you have a small pet that you can play fressbee with? Seriously I tried it out of frustation with my German-Sheaperd/Husky dog with another coaster I had made and he just pulverised it between his teeth. I had to clean up for hours. So I now make sure I REALLY have a CD Image ( not a copy ). Or when, stupid as I am I make a copy, ( and of course blame the software burner first because I wouldn't do such a thing anymore ) then I just trow the CD in the waste basket on its way to the recycling depot.HTHRéjeanP.S. You're sure your BIOS is set for CD ( first ) and not the hard drive?

Edited by teacher

1. Do you have one file on there or many? It should be many.2. Does your cmos say hard drive first or CD drive first? It should be Cd then hard drive. :)