Forum Software Upgrade to v2.1.3

Scot

I fear you are not going to get many replies in this thread Scot . . . because this forum-upgrade looks successfull for the full 100% . . . Did all I could to find the bugs . . . . but they simply are not there ;):w00t:Congrats for the swift and painless upgrade ! :thumbsup::) Bruno

James M. Fisher

OK.....where is the spell checker? :hmm: Nevermind...once I turned on "Rich text Editor" there she be!Interestingly, at another forum using v2.0.4, the spell check option is always present and there is no choice of editors:IPB204.jpg

I have it turned on and it is not visible. The forum seems to be running kind of slow right now. About 1 hour ago it was OK. Spellcheck is still not working for me, I am using Firefox 1.5RC1.

Edited by Gary

I just went to play with a post to see. I clicked on cut and I got a box that said something like "Some versions of Firefox may not use the cut, copy or paste buttons for security reasons, and your browser is one of them. Please use Control V, ......" Maybe this is related to that and it is that way on purpose to prevent security problems. I was using Flock 0.5 which is closely related to Firefox. No spellcheck in it either but I bet the two are related. :hmm:

I don't believe that is the problem. As to use Rich text editing it states what Browser are acceptable. Firefox is one of them. see below:Scotts.jpg

Edited by Gary

I fired up IE to try it since I had not used IE for anything in a long time. When I clicked on edit and had the abc button, I clicked the button and it said I needed to install iespell. Maybe that is why I have never seen the abc spellcheck button before.

James M. Fisher
I use an extension called Spellbound 0.7.3 but that is not the point. :hysterical:
It would appear that all the extras are there with the Rich Text Editor in FF, except for the spellchecker. I find this curious because, as I mentioned above, an older version of IPB has a spellchecker always available, no matter what the browser. Perhaps this is part and parcel of setting up the board? Could Scot or an Admin comment on this?

Guest LilBambi

The setting regarding the Rich Text Editor is already enabled in the Admin CP. Beyond that, it might just be the version of FireFox/Mozilla/Opera that folks are using.I am using FireFox 1.0.7 and do not get a Rich Text Editor Spellchecker either, and I do have Aspell already installed on the system.We will keep looking into this, but it is not a show stopper.There are many ways to get spell checkers that work here and on other forums, and forms on sites such as: Google Toolbar, Spellbound, etc. for browsers.So, for now...let's move on and let us keep looking into this.Thanks.

Guest LilBambi

By way of an update on the spell checker question.I have opened the forums and did a posting from every browser I have on my Windows XP Pro computer including; IE (w/latest version updates), Firefox 1.0.7, Mozilla 1.7.5 and Opera 8.5 and I don't see a spell checker box below the editor box (Rich Text Editor) in any of my browsers. And I do have Aspell installed on the system.We have a ticket in to IPB and will await to hear back from them on this.Thanks. EDIT - Update from IPB:

Hello, There is no official spell checker in our software. There may be a modification at one of our http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/pr.../resources.html. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. Have a great day! Sincerely, Jonathan Shipe Sales and Billing 1-800-901-5491
Well, I think that pretty much clears up the spell checker item. If someone saw it on another board, they may have made a mod for it. I looked at the sites listed quickly and didn't see any mod for a spellchecker when I checked at about 4 or 5 of the sites listed on the resources page. Edited by LilBambi

One thing I've noticed is this: On the Index, at the bottom where it lists who is online, the color of a moderator's username is blue. Link color has been changed to blue (which I like, btw), but it seems to be just a slightly different shade.It's a very insignificant thing, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Maybe change the color for moderators to green?Edit:list2ve.pngFeaturing mods, an mvp, and an admin all in one, for reference

By way of an update on the spell checker question.I have opened the forums and did a posting from every browser I have on my Windows XP Pro computer including; IE (w/latest version updates), Firefox 1.0.7, Mozilla 1.7.5 and Opera 8.5 and I don't see a spell checker box below the editor box (Rich Text Editor) in any of my browsers. And I do have Aspell installed on the system.We have a ticket in to IPB and will await to hear back from them on this.Thanks. EDIT - Update from IPB: Well, I think that pretty much clears up the spell checker item. If someone saw it on another board, they may have made a mod for it. I looked at the sites listed quickly and didn't see any mod for a spellchecker when I checked at about 4 or 5 of the sites listed on the resources page.
Then I do not understand how James Fisher saw one in this forum.

Guest LilBambi
EDIT - Update from IPB:
Hello, There is no official spell checker in our software. There may be a modification at one of our http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/pr.../resources.html. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. Have a great day! Sincerely, Jonathan Shipe Sales and Billing 1-800-901-5491
Well, I think that pretty much clears up the spell checker item. If someone saw it on another board, they may have made a mod for it. I looked at the sites listed quickly and didn't see any mod for a spellchecker when I checked at about 4 or 5 of the sites listed on the resources page.
I hear ya Gary. I don't know how, but apparently he did. Maybe he has something on his computer that integrates it with the forum Rich Text Editor, but according to the IPB folks. They do not have a spell checker as part of the software.That doesn't preclude that other forums might have a mod for that, but it doesn't come stock in IPB and I didn't see one in the cursory look I gave the sites listed at the link posted by Jonathan Shipe from IPB.

Oh yea and my thoughts on spelling can be summed up here:

Can you raed tihs? Olny srmat poelpe can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I agree, steeler_fan, so I brightened up both the mod's and the MVP's on-line status color. Hope you like them. :)
I wondered why I was suddenly feeling a little green around the gills. Green? :icon8:

Looks very nice and I do like the blue.As for spell checkers, who needs them? We are all friends here, no one is going to jump on someone else because of a silly spelling mistake! :P

We could do "pink"! :P
I can live with green but can we do green or green preferrably? The brighter green just reminds me of the old dirty green screens of days gone by. I personally could go with a little color but some might not like that. :PSpellcheck? I agree. We are all friends here. :wacko: