Problem with internet connection

DeLsTeR

Hi i'm new to linux so by suggestions i downloaded and installed Madrake Linux 10.1 everyting is ok but i have a problem with connecton to the internet (it's a strange problem). Ok i have the internet connection i can browse web-page's and everything but people cant connect to me by putty or if they ping me they get the connection timed out prob. any ideas ? I use LAN connection.P.S When i open monitor connections there is written that i'm not connected & when i push connect i says that there are some problems with my connection settings but they are all working fine.Please people help me i'm desperate B)

DeLsTeRWelcome to the forum. I have never tried to allow anyone to connect to my computer. That said, I would look in two different places. 1. Go into the Mandrake Control Center (It should be on your menu under configuration) and take a look at firewall. Make sure you don't have that turned on.2. I suspect you need to set up sometime of Samba - server connection settings. Since I don't share my computer I have not played with this.Someone will probably be along shortly that does play with this. B)

Ahhh i havent looked up my firewall B) could any of you please ping 81.xxx.xxx.xx or go to the http://cs.miracle.lv it's just my friends are all sleeping. Bruno i dont fink i did. And who's samba ? :)** edited out the IP address for security reasonsBruno

Edited by Bruno

[bruno:~]$ ping 81.xxx.xxx.xxPING 81.xxx.xxx.xxx (81.xxx.xxx.xx) 56(84) bytes of data.64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=67.5 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=66.6 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=3 ttl=46 time=67.1 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=4 ttl=46 time=66.9 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=5 ttl=46 time=66.9 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=6 ttl=46 time=67.4 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=7 ttl=46 time=67.2 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=8 ttl=46 time=67.4 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=9 ttl=46 time=66.5 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=10 ttl=46 time=67.5 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=11 ttl=46 time=66.8 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=12 ttl=46 time=66.5 ms64 bytes from 81.xxx.xxx.xx: icmp_seq=13 ttl=46 time=66.8 ms--- 81.xxx.xxx.xx ping statistics ---13 packets transmitted, 13 received, 0% packet loss, time 12009msrtt min/avg/max/mdev = 66.531/67.052/67.544/0.386 ms
The ping looks okay to me . . . . No problems getting to http://cs.miracle.lv/ either . . . Samba is a software package that lest you communicate with Windows computers on a network . . . B) Bruno** edited out the IP address for security reasonsBruno

ok and i have 1 more question before i go i have another computer which is running windows how can i make it connect to linux and get the i-net connection from it

You will have to set up Samba on the Linux computer and make a mdkgoup for sharing on the Windows one.But since I do not have any windows computer I am not really a Samba expert so I will have to let others give you guiding on that one. ( There is a samba wizard in the MCC though )Maybe start a new topic with clearly the word "Samba" in the title . . and the experts will sure show up ;)B) Bruno

Hi DeLWhen I go to http://cs.miracle.lv/ I see a page with this text:

This site is powered by: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.50 (Mandrakelinux/7mdk) mod_perl/1.99_16 Perl/v5.8.5 mod_ssl/2.0.50 OpenSSL/0.9.7d PHP/4.3.8! Note: If you are seeing this instead of the webpage you expected, it's most likely because the server is not yet fully configured, or is under an upgrade. Come again tomorrow and your usual content should be back.
BUT also this:
Congratulations! The Web Server software on this system is operational. If you're the webmaster of cs.miracle.lv, you may now add content to this directory and replace this page. Please note that you can choose between Apache 1.3 and 2.0, and that you can install them in parallel. If you have both versions installed, 2.0 will start by default. To switch from one to the other, run the following commands: "/usr/sbin/advxrun1.3" or "/usr/sbin/advxrun2.0". The Apache documentation packages (if installed) are available here: [2.0] [1.3], as well as the Documentation for some standard modules [2.0] [1.3]. Also, if you're accessing this page as http://localhost, you can read the documentation for some ADVX specific addon modules. Powered by Apache As the whole Mandrake Linux distribution, this customized version of the Apache web server is compiled with Processor-Specific Optimizations to take advantage of the power of the new processor generation, giving it 5-30% more performance than any other Linux Web Server. For documentation and information on Mandrake Linux, please visit the web site of Mandrake Linux. This version of Apache is fully modular, and many modules are available in pre-compiled format, like PHP4 and Apache-ASP.
B) Bruno